• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Guiseley v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would hope that the Wirral radio commentators were at the game rather than making it up. Their account of the game did not suggest total domination, Guiseley players in attacking positions got regular mention, including the non-penalty incident, until the last 20 minutes when it seemed mostly Rovers.
Guiseley always had a threat when the ball went up to odejayi, but nearly all of the second period was played in their half of the pitch. I did not suggest we dominated the entire ninety minutes. Wirral radio are ultimately amateurs who talk a lot of sh**e as well as some sense, so I put more faith in my own football knowledge. This site is ultimately for first hand opinions of matches, not regurgitated stuff from elsewhere.

Player
Manager
John King
Mceverlys distribution was good in the second half. He struggles aerially with big strikers, but unfortunately he will meet a few of those at this level. I think he is more of a footballing centre half. We need to remember it takes time for any new signing to settle in as there is a danger of him and dunn becoming major scapegoats, which is not good for the morale of the whole club.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
To be fair, big mac wasn't great when he first joined and he was the first to admit it. Took him a while to settle in.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Guiseley always had a threat when the ball went up to odejayi, but nearly all of the second period was played in their half of the pitch. I did not suggest we dominated the entire ninety minutes. Wirral radio are ultimately amateurs who talk a lot of sh**e as well as some sense, so I put more faith in my own football knowledge. This site is ultimately for first hand opinions of matches, not regurgitated stuff from elsewhere.
That would lead to a very limited discussion as it appears you were the only person from White Review at the game last night. I don't know how accurate the commentary was, maybe will listen at a game sometime, but it seems that their perspective wasn't entirely on a par with yours, so worth raising. The Guiseley player who seemed to attract most positive comment from them was Thompson, the youngster up front with Odejayi.

Player
Manager
John King
That would lead to a very limited discussion as it appears you were the only person from White Review at the game last night. I don't know how accurate the commentary was, maybe will listen at a game sometime, but it seems that their perspective wasn't entirely on a par with yours, so worth raising. The Guiseley player who seemed to attract most positive comment from them was Thompson, the youngster up front with Odejayi.
If you have not actually attended the game, opinions on the detail are of limited worth. Common sense tells us that. Noone has disputed there were problems with the performance. Perhaps we should just put the Wirral radio feed through the site and be done with it.......

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
This is starting to become like one of those medieval discussions about how many angels can fit on a pin head. Let's move on.

As you were there, it would be interesting to hear your views on why we didn't convert possession into goals, what could be done to rectify this, aside from Jennings at the apex of a diamond and who in your view were the best players and MoM last night?

M

Mal

The biggest concern for me is how the team cannot score freely yet a lot of the other teams are free scoring, even if they do concede a lot. Look at Aldershot, Bromley, Dagenham, Ebbsfleet etc. etc. Something is wrong with the team set up. Maybe the opposition plays more defensively/dirtier when playing Tranmere? Even so, you would expect our forwards to be able to hit the target more easily.

addendum: Just watched Micky's interview. He reckons it is not so much formation but the fact our strikers are currently not clinical enough.

Aldershot 4 3 1 0 12:3 10

2. Sutton 4 3 0 1 5:2 9

3. Dover Ath. 4 3 0 1 5:3 9

4. Bromley 4 2 2 0 8:2 8

5. Dagenham & Red. 4 2 2 0 9:7 8

6. Boreham Wood 4 2 1 1 11:7 7

7. Maidenhead 4 2 1 1 8:5 7

8. Ebbsfleet 4 1 3 0 10:8 6

9. Gateshead 4 2 0 2 5:3 6

10. Wrexham 4 2 0 2 3:3 6

11. Leyton Orient 4 2 0 2 6:9 6

12. Woking 4 2 0 2 5:8 6

13. Barrow 4 1 2 1 7:5 5

14. Tranmere 4 1 2 1 3:2 5

15. Eastleigh 4 1 2 1 4:4 5

16. Macclesfield 4 1 2 1 3:3 5

17. Chester 3 0 3 0 2:2 3

18. Fylde 4 0 3 1 7:10 3

19. Hartlepool 4 0 2 2 3:5 2

20. Halifax 4 0 2 2 1:4 2

21. Maidstone 4 0 2 2 2:6 2

22. Guiseley 4 0 2 2 2:9 2

23. Solihull 3 0 1 2 5:10 1

24. Torquay 4 0 1 3 4:10 1

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I've also watched the post match interview and MM clearly isn't concerned about creation of chances I.e. Balls into the box. He mentioned our midfield 3 being one of the best in the division. His sole issue seems to be questioning the lack of desire and aggression shown by the players in the box, whether that's a striker or other attacking players, wanting to get on the end of chances.

He mentioned their smaller centre half had too many easy headers to clear the ball so is clearly having a dig at cook and others including Alabi when he came on. He doesn't think it's to do with formations and is clearly happy that 4-3-3 is creating enough, not causing cook to be isolated, but we're just not showing enough desire in the box.

I've not been to a game yet due to hols but from reading reports it doesn't seem that we only have one problem. Is MM in denial? The likes of McEveley hasn't covered himself in glory yet and will be tested on Saturday for sure.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Here's Micky:

The problem you have at this level is that strikers aren't going to score every time theres a chance otherwise they wouldn't be playing at this level so with that in mind, you need to be carving out at least half a dozen really good chances before one or two of them go in. Having two or three chances per game is going to cut the conversion rate down significantly.

I do agree that they need to be more aggressive in the final third though. The midfielders need to be more supportive if Cook is holding up the front line on his own.

Maybe we should trust MM judgements and hope we start scoring again.

Sparky, I don't think we really need to be worried about the defence. McEveley might not have had a wonderful start to his Rovers career but in general our defence is tight and always has been at this level. I think we're better concentrating on scoring goals as this seems to be the achilles heel every season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Are we creating that many clear chances though, as that's not the impression that I get? Certainly attacking a good ball floating into the box can result in a goal, but that can only be one element in our armoury.

One thing which did concern me were the remarks about Waring, which seemed to suggest he wasn't match-fit yet. Given the justifiable criticism of the lack of options amongst the subs, wouldn't it be more valuable having a fit Duggan/Dawson than a player who probably can't be used.

Player
Manager
John King
This is starting to become like one of those medieval discussions about how many angels can fit on a pin head. Let's move on.

As you were there, it would be interesting to hear your views on why we didn't convert possession into goals, what could be done to rectify this, aside from Jennings at the apex of a diamond and who in your view were the best players and MoM last night?
I think there are a number of problems which are compounding each other.

Firstly, playing Cook as a lone striker. Unlike Norwood when he plays that role, Cook is not mobile and as a result is very easy to defend. Keep him outside the eighteen yard box and get bodies round him. You know he has not got the pace to turn and run past you, so all you have to do is make sure he can't bring down one of the long balls lobbed in his direction and prevent him from bringing others into play.

Secondly, when we do get into attacking areas and put the ball in the box, Cook is generally the only player in there. Last night we had so much possession, Ridehalgh and Buxton were playing like wingers by the end of the game and some of the deliveries into the box were decent. I agree with Mellon about that. However, all Guiseley had to do was get two or three defenders round Cook and prevent him from jumping and there was nobody else there to win the ball.

Thirdly, playing Jennings out of position. He is our most creative player and, in the absence of Tollitt, it is vital he plays well if we are going to succeed. Last night he was played on the left wing and looked like a fish out of water. He does not know what is role is in that position, can't influence the game and seems to be losing confidence as a result. In fact, the whole team is now showing signs of a loss of confidence.

Fourthly, opposition teams take special measures against us because we are such strong title favourites. Last night the shape of the Guiseley team in the second half was so negative it was almost comical. Aside from Odejayi all of the Guiseley players were within fifty yards of their own goal in the second half. If we don't score early, and given the problems I have cited above, it is no wonder we struggle to break teams down. I doubt that Aldershot and Dagenham have to cope with tactics quite like the ones we face, and it may actually suit us to play a slightly better team, who will actually commit men forward at some stage of the game.

Having Norwood available on Saturday will rectify some of these problems, but I think Mellon has to change system to get Jennings back into a central position, otherwise the midfield won't function.

Regarding the defence, I agree with Ian that it is still very strong. Although McEveley has struggled, we have only conceded two goals in four games in matches where we have not played very well.

Regarding the wider situation, I think we are in quite an alarming position. Of course we should not panic after four matches. However, if this run continues for another four or five games we will be out of the title race. We need to win at least thirty matches this season, which effectively means winning two games out of every three and maintaining that consistency over the whole season. We are nowhere near that level at the moment.

As for last night, I thought McNulty was superb and was man of the match. He once again demonstrated why his detractors are wrong. Both full backs also played well and Norburn was good in the second half. Everyone else was below par.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Excellent summary RLC. Can you post it to Micky??!

In all seriousness I'll be surprised if Micky does change formation anytime soon. His post match interview didn't suggest he would.

You wonder palios thinks as I reckon he at times questioned the treatment of cook as mark is a massive fan.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I mean to be fair, we did fine against Woking and scored three good goals, but was that just a one off? Like Sparky says, it doesn't sound like MM has any desire to change formations, but he does require more from the players. Surely he must see how isolated Cook is at the moment. It'll be interesting to see what changes when Norwood returns to the side.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In the Woking game, we had at least 7 or 8 decent chances and scored 3, so far more clear scoring opportunities than in the other trio of games. Whether that was down to Rovers playing better or Woking playing a more open game is debatable, probably a mix of the two.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Highlights:

We had some decent chances there. Cook missing a few and Dunn towards the end. Should be putting these away.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Having seen the "highlights" - admittedly only 10% of the match - I have some sympathy with Micky. Some good chances were missed, although perhaps we should have been creating one of two more. The trouble is that while success breeds success, frustration breeds more frustration. We need a little more patience. There's no need to resort to long shots as the game wears on. I am a bit worried we will struggle until we can get an early goal. Ironically, I think Eastleigh will go at us really confidently on Saturday, so if the defence can weather the storm, the attack will have a good chance.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I can certainly understand the aggression part of what Micky is saying as there were good balls delivered into the box and nobody attacked them. Possession really means nothing if you don't put the ball away. We need to be more ruthless with the ball.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The one where Dunn was clean through on the keeper ought to at least have been on target forcing him to make a save. Cook's were not so clearcut, but in other circumstances you'd expect at least one of them to hit the back of their net. Ridehalgh putting some decent crosses in.Things could have been worse if Guiseley had taken their early chance, given Rovers inability to hit the target.