• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Guiseley v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A quick opportunity for Rovers to get back in gear after the Sutton disappointment. Our opponents have had a poor start to the season and were on the end of a 6-0 drubbing at Aldershot, so their starting point will probably be damage limitation. Two ex-Rovers, Lee Molyneaux and Kayode Odejayi in the hosts squad, neither will be particularly fondly remembered from their spells at PP.

No idea how Micky will line the side up for this one, it wouldn't be a total surprise if the only change was to recall McNulty. I do hope that he freshens up the bench a bit, personally I'd replace one of Mangan/Alabi with Rokka/Dawson/Duggan, to give more options.

Prediction: About 400-500 visiting supporters (uncertain if I'll be one) watching a tight game whiich Rovers should edge.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with most of the opening post. On our previous two visits to Guiseley they were physical and uncompromising and I expect the same tomorrow. Add in a sloping, bobbly pitch and it will be difficult for us to get our passing game going. That said, The Lions don't have as much quality as Sutton and I think we will win the game.

Given the continued absence of Norwood, I would start with the 433 with Jennings and Dunn either side of Cook, as well as bringing back McNulty in place of McEveley. I don't particularly like that formation, but Alabi is not playing well enough to start in a front two at the moment. I agree with Boz about having Rokka on the bench to give us another option. However, he is still injured as far as I am aware, so I think we will see three strikers on there again. It would be nice to see Pongo get on the pitch at some point.

Despite the disappointment of Saturday, there still seems a fair amount of interest in this fixture, so we might take a few more than 500.

Last edited:

drwhoman

We should win. Emphasis on the should. We need to get into gear quickly or else the Shots and Daggers will leave us behind and it will be another play off roulette routine. Let us hope Pongo emulates his namesake!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
There have been some strange results in the NL so far, so you have to be wary about predictions. However, I think Sutton will be play-off candidates on the evidence of beating Orient and us. They lost to Eastleigh, who are another good side who drew with Dagenham. On the other hand, Guiseley have no such pedigree and we should win this one. I predict 2-0 and anything less than a convincing win will have me worried. To regain confidence and to match our opponents' physicality, I'd bring back McNulty for Hughes and play 532/352. I think that formation might work for this fixture.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
God help us if we lose - it'll be a crisis!

This is a must win game ahead of a tough trip to Eastleigh on Saturday. I agree that apart from Big Mac coming back in I can't see any other changes. I just hope cook gets some decent service

Player
Manager
John King
anything less than a convincing win will have me worried.

Any kind of win will do. Guiseley is not a place where you can play much football and they will be in our faces from the start. We have not beaten them by more than one goal in four previous attempts.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In my view, there are a couple of potential pitfalls with the formation BBTC suggests. Does Buxton have the pace to play a wing-back role? Both Ridehalgh and McEvely seem relatively weak in the air, talking Hughes out of midfield will reduce the protection the left side are afforded.

I agree that any win will do. Guiseley's hammering at the weekend doesn't help us, as there will be an inclination to measure our result against the Shots winning margin.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We seem to handle the rough and tough better away from home so whilst it may not be the prettiest game, I think we'll come through with a win. 2-0.
I just hope cook gets some decent service
Indeed. I don't think there much point in having Cook running around chasing loose balls for 45 minutes. He needs service to be effective, besides he'll be shot by half time.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Very harsh on Sutton given how below par McEveley was at the weekend. Z- for substitute selection. Unfortunately, can't make this, but think we're in for a close game.

Player
Manager
John King
Average again so far. Lots of the ball but not done much with it. Cook too isolated, no real threat in behind. A bit better towards the end of the half.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounds like quite an open game, a few defensive mix-ups from Rovers, Davies being the busier of the keepers. At the other end a couple of efforts from Cook going close

Player
Manager
John King
Davies has not had a proper save to make, but mceveley has been poor in the air again and McNulty has got him out of jail a couple of times. Great ball from ridehalgh which cook should have finished.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
following on twitter sounds awful, early days but we need to find a spark, get a win and push on up the table

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The Wirral radio commentary suggests some lack of communication between the central defenders and Davies, they've also mentioned McNulty bailing out McEveley. Odejayi went close for Guiseley, if we were to go behind wouldn't feel confident of recovering.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Adam Mekki has just scored Bromley's fourth v Orient. There are some interesting scores in the NL tonight, but Rovers don't seem to look like scoring.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Uninspiring. Looking elsewhere, Bromley are thrashing Leyton Orient. Fourth scored by Mekki.

Sutton losing at home but Woking winning.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Commentary thought Rovers could have conceded a penalty, ref gave free-kick on the edge of our box which was cleared. Alabi on for Harris.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
This sounds dire. Toothless. Connor J totally wasted where he's playing. Sort it out micky

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Dunn puts an excellent chance wide. Starting to get a bit worrying.