• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Grecians v Rovers

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Spirits should be high within the club after five points from 3 games this year and a successful transfer window. However, this will be a very tough game. On paper, Exeter must be favourites, but it could go any way. We have been grinding out the points without being particularly outstanding, but a win on Saturday would be our best result since the miracle at Adams Park back in August.

For once, Micky will be spoilt for choice in every department, but I would favour an unchanged side. The good news is that once again our fellow strugglers are either playing each other or have tough away games, so even a defeat would not be disastrous.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Exeter hasn't been a happy hunting ground for us recently and the Grecians were the best L2 side to visit Prenton Park to date, the 1-2 scoreline could have been much worse.

I'm not sure an unchanged side is likely, given the below par performance v Hartlepool. We now have enough defenders to revert to a 352 formation with wing-backs. I would have serious reservations about playing Taylor as a left-back in a flat back four away from home. We could line up something like;

OFW
Holmes Dugdale Thompson Ihiekwe Taylor
Power Jennings Molyneux
Donnelly R Odejayi

I can see arguments for starting Koumas ahead of Molyneux or Power and Ridehalgh at left wing-back, pushing Taylor into midfield, but think Micky more likely to opt for the above. Myrie-Williams looked a little rusty and probably will start on the bench.

Getting something from this game would be really useful, as I can see both Carlisle and Dagenham earning some points from their home games at the weekend. However. I'm not hopeful; narrow home win being the likely result.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Our toughest game for a while. I agree with Boz that we might revert to five at the back, but against tricky opposition away from home I think Laird might also be restored to midfield in place of Molyneux. We looked a bit lightweight in the middle last week, but that said, I doubt the midfield three that started that game will play as badly again all season.

Defeat could see us back in the bottom two, but regardless of the short-term picture our squad strength suggests we can comfortably reach safety this season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Tough game and a draw wouldnt be a bad result. I think Laird should start as his energy levels are good. Much better player now. 1-1.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Personally don't think Laird contributes anywere near enough to warrant a place in the side.

I think going to be a very hard game, fancy us nick a point 1 1

Player
Manager
John King
Personally don't think Laird contributes anywere near enough to warrant a place in the side.

Laird works very hard to protect the back four and you notice him when he is not there (like last week).

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with the above re Laird. Had overlooked him,when penning starting xi, but particularly away, his battling qualities and workrate strengthen the side.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Laird works very hard to protect the back four and you notice him when he is not there (like last week).

He is poor in the tackle (he looks off balance when he runs) he rarely passes forward, doesn't score or create and is slow .

Player
Manager
John King
He is poor in the tackle (he looks off balance when he runs) he rarely passes forward, doesn't score or create and is slow .

He works harder without the ball than Power, Koumas or Molyneux and he is the kind of unsung player every team needs. No, he is not the most gifted, and I am the biggest critic of his passing, but he is prepared to do a lot of the 'ugly' work - harrying and closing down the opposition - that better players can't be bothered with.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
have to agree to disagree I think he is very poor and contributes little

Player
Nixon
Hume on the bench ?

I've got a feeling Power might not be included in the squad ....... and Laird taking his place.

Odejayi to play 60mins, before being replaced by JMW.

Hume to come on late on

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agree with mb. Laird on with humey on the bench. much better options on the bench now with dugdale, jmw and hume.

M

Mal

Must have been a duff set of crystal balls that were being sold in the Market.....

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
An excellent result! I'm looking forward to the reports. Although we lost Danny Holmes after 5 minutes and Max missed a penalty, we still managed to hold out. We are now a proud 17th, but if we'd lost, we'd have been back in the bottom two. It's still so close at the bottom after incredibly Hartlepool, Carlisle and Dag & Red also won. Eight points out of 12 this month and still we are only two points clear. But now we are definitely on the way up.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Fantastic result. Rode our luck a bit at the end but even if we put Max's poor penalty aside, we could have scored another 2 or 3. We are creating chance, sticking them away and getting the points. Two home games to come we have a great opportunity to keep moving up.

Clubs are fighting down there. Good wins for Hartlepool and Mansfield today. Going dizzy looking at the table seeing us in 17th. Four other clubs on 30 points too.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A very good result pity about the injuries to Holmes & JMW hope there not too bad.

If we can manage to beat Carlisle next week then we really can look up the table rather than over our shoulders

Player
Nixon
great win,
and even with 2 injuries, we can still look forward with very capable subs for once.

looking forward to some reports, Glad Odejayi is doing the business too.

Player
Manager
John King
Fantastic performance from Rovers to cap a great week for the club. The only disappointment is that we did not score more goals, as we could easily have had four or five; we were by far the better side and fully deserved the win.

I was slightly surprised by the adventurous starting line up, but in fairness to Micky he got the tactics and team selection spot on. Early in the first half Exeter were able to get at our back four fairly easily, and I wondered if it was a mistake not starting with Laird. However, Molyneux gradually came into the game and put in a superb performance, creating one goal and nearly setting up another, and as the match progressed we got a stranglehold on midfield. The first half was fairly even but we edged it, and I was disappointed not go in ahead at half time. We had a lot of good, controlled possession in midfield and created the better opportunities, and their equaliser was frustrating; a silly free kick given away twenty yards out and a shot which Fonners should have saved (the rest of his game today, including the marshalling of his box, was excellent). Our goal was a quality move, involving Odejayi and Molyneux.

In the second half, we ran their arses ragged, completely dominating. The front three caused them all sorts of problems, and in addition to Max's penalty we should have scored a couple more goals. Exeter did hit the bar through Sercombe late on, but it would have been a travesty if we had not won the game. Throughout the match the forwards really pressed their defence to prevent them playing out from the back, and some of our passing movements were excellent. In short, with the new additions to the squad and the skill and movement we have in attacking areas, we simply had too much quality for Exeter in the second half, something we have not been able to say about a Rovers team for some time. There were a number of outstanding individual displays: Odejayi, Molyneux and the two centre backs were immense; Liam Ridehalgh had his best game of the season so far; Taylor was an able deputy for Holmes at right back; the two strikers flanking Kayode were a constant menace. Man of the match, however, was Steven Jennings, back to his imperious best.

We should bear in mind that Exeter are a decent side, yet we beat them convincingly today. Although some results went against us this afternoon, with the quality we now have I think we will be well away from relegation in May; with this squad I fancy our chances of going to any team in the division and getting a result.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks, RLC. It sounds like this Rovers team is unrecognisable compared with even a month ago. You only have to look at today's bench to see how strong the squad is. I share your optimism although February will be a very tough month with four games against teams now below us and two against top six sides. Added to that, four of the games will be away.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The match stats suggest it was quite close, the Exeter manager suggests they should have got something from the game, yet their fan forum goes along with RLC in saying Rovers were in control, especially second half. It sounds like the game at PP in reverse. Have to be happy with the 3 points and a very positive line-up selected by Micky.

It sounds like JMW came off with cramp, but Danny Holmes' injury a concern, especially as it doesn't look like Villa are going to let us have Donacien back. With Ihiekwe out injured, we are a bit thin at the back, although I note Taylor did well at right-back. Micky rarely puts Gumbs on the bench now, so mustn't feel he's ready.

I agree with BBTC that we have a challenging month ahead. Not counting any chickens, waiting to see where we're placed after Cheltenham on 28th.