• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Goal drought

• Thread starter Matthew The Rover
  • Start date
M

Matthew The Rover

Ok, we may not be going through a goal drought at home, but we certainlly are away from home. We have managed two goals just once (the only time we've won away this season against Chesterfield) and in all have scored just four goals in seven away matches (League and Cup), near enough one in every two games.

This may partly be down to Greenacre having scored all his goals at Prenton Park, but it must certainlly have something to do with our defensive mind-set away from home.

Little is setting us out to keep the ball in our half for 90 minutes. Maybe have the odd shot, but just play down the seconds, and this isn't working. For one thing, you cannot pick three points up unless you shoot and take a gamble and attack the oppositions goal, but Brian seems intent on getting one point, not three, and because of this, we are losing games, as we are playing on the 18-yard line of our goal box for 90 minutes. If we lose possession on the 18-yard line, the chances the opponent will get a go at target are strong, the chance they will score about 50-50.

Therefore, we need to play a more attacking game away from home. Even when we go 1-0 down like we did at Forest, we don't make much effort to get back on level terms, it's as if Brian is playing for the goal difference - don't go 2-0 down, instead of gambling to get a goal and therefore a point.

We simply must pick up away points if we want to get to the play-offs, which we can still do, every team will go through a bad patch, but we won't get points away by playing these tactics and picking a player with a broken nose on the bench.

At home, there is no problem with goals, the problem is conceeding them. The last team a visiting team kept a clean sheet at Prenton Park was April 16th 2005, the team being Blackpool, before that, it was January 10th 2005, live on Sky Sports against Bristol City. So in 16 home games we have failed to score twice.

Does this mean that the tactics we employ away from home and the one's we play at home are just wrong? I think it does. In my opinion, Brian just needs to take the tactics used at home and the tactics used away and get somewhere in the middle of these two. We are not conceeding too many goals away from home, we may have not kept a clean sheet since Bournemouth, but the problem is scoring goals. Whereas at home, we are scoring loads of goals, but conceeding the same out often aswell.

So, if we got somewhere in the two lots of tactics used away and at home, we would possibly beplaying a half attacking/defencive game, meaning we might conceed one goal, but we would also score aswell.

Your thoughts please.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
The goals will come soon away from home... hopefully!

Matthew The Rover said:
Ok, we may not be going through a goal drought at home, but we certainlly are away from home. We have managed two goals just once (the only time we've won away this season against Chesterfield) and in all have scored just four goals in seven away matches (League and Cup), near enough one in every two games.

This may partly be down to Greenacre having scored all his goals at Prenton Park, but it must certainlly have something to do with our defensive mind-set away from home.

Little is setting us out to keep the ball in our half for 90 minutes. Maybe have the odd shot, but just play down the seconds, and this isn't working. For one thing, you cannot pick three points up unless you shoot and take a gamble and attack the oppositions goal, but Brian seems intent on getting one point, not three, and because of this, we are losing games, as we are playing on the 18-yard line of our goal box for 90 minutes. If we lose possession on the 18-yard line, the chances the opponent will get a go at target are strong, the chance they will score about 50-50.

Therefore, we need to play a more attacking game away from home. Even when we go 1-0 down like we did at Forest, we don't make much effort to get back on level terms, it's as if Brian is playing for the goal difference - don't go 2-0 down, instead of gambling to get a goal and therefore a point.

We simply must pick up away points if we want to get to the play-offs, which we can still do, every team will go through a bad patch, but we won't get points away by playing these tactics and picking a player with a broken nose on the bench.

At home, there is no problem with goals, the problem is conceeding them. The last team a visiting team kept a clean sheet at Prenton Park was April 16th 2005, the team being Blackpool, before that, it was January 10th 2005, live on Sky Sports against Bristol City. So in 16 home games we have failed to score twice.

Does this mean that the tactics we employ away from home and the one's we play at home are just wrong? I think it does. In my opinion, Brian just needs to take the tactics used at home and the tactics used away and get somewhere in the middle of these two. We are not conceeding too many goals away from home, we may have not kept a clean sheet since Bournemouth, but the problem is scoring goals. Whereas at home, we are scoring loads of goals, but conceeding the same out often aswell.

So, if we got somewhere in the two lots of tactics used away and at home, we would possibly beplaying a half attacking/defencive game, meaning we might conceed one goal, but we would also score aswell.

Your thoughts please.

you're a very talented lad, keep up the good work and soon andy gray will be on the rock n' roll :!: =D>

M

Matthew The Rover

Banana Army said:
Wow no link to mad :shock: :shock:

Link to mad? I have made about 110 posts since the board, and about 5 have had links, with about one of them to trfc-mad. Please comment on the post and not pick at me.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
lol :lol: i don't wanna get involved but I'm sure banana army wasn't picking at you. It's just a laugh.

regarding your lenghty peice, don't worry, like someone said earlier, the goals wil come.