• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

George Donnelly

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good to see Rovers getting involved in the deadline say shenanigans by signing striker George Donnelly from Rochdale.

I'm a bit confused as to where these strikers will fit in. Is this a kick in the teeth for Richards? His goal return isn't amazing and the Rochdale supporters seem to be happy to see the back of him. General summary is that he works hard and shows a lot of commitment but is fairly useless at scoring goals.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Gives us another option up front & Matt Hill has signed a 1 year deal

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good news about Hill.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree the Hill deal is pleasing.

I don't know much about our new signing, but am as puzzled as Ian on the Donnelly deal. It means Richards is less likely to be picked as a striker, which seems his best position. For me, signing another wide player, particularly as Bruna doesn't seem to have impressed Rob, judging by his lack of game time, would have been a priority.

drwhoman

I agree with the good news re Hill but I am surprised at the Donnelly signing. You would have thought that RE liked Richards as he was his first signing having worked with hime previously. Boz is right. They really need another wide man and a defensive midfielder given that Gill is clearly unable to play every game. Donnelly is a scouser so probably happy to 'come home' but... Let us hope he proves me wrong!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't know much about our new signing, but am as puzzled as Ian on the Donnelly deal. It means Richards is less likely to be picked as a striker, which seems his best position. For me, signing another wide player, particularly as Bruna doesn't seem to have impressed Rob, judging by his lack of game time, would have been a priority.

I agree with this. I wonder whether Edwards intends to use Richards as an out-and-out wide player now ? Perhaps he was frustrated in his attempts to bring a winger in and has gone for a Plan B. It is good to have as many options as possible up front, but it seems strange to bring in another forward when we have played a lone striker in most games.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree with this. I wonder whether Edwards intends to use Richards as an out-and-out wide player now ? Perhaps he was frustrated in his attempts to bring a winger in and has gone for a Plan B. It is good to have as many options as possible up front, but it seems strange to bring in another forward when we have played a lone striker in most games.
I really hope not as he looked hopeless out wide. Tis good to have more options though.

drwhoman

The BBC reports that Rovers have signed Peter Brezovan, a Slovakian goalkeeper from Portsmouth where he was back up for Paul Jones.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
All this last-minute activity is making me giddy; something we certainly have not been used to with Rovers in recent years and I am pleased the deals are permanent, rather than loans.

The Brezovan signing is interesting as it suggests Edwards has not been entirely happy with Fonners' performances. He comes with a decent pedigree and will at the very least provide backup when Owain is called up on international duty.

drwhoman

It will allow them to send Ramsbottom out on loan to get experience apparently. They needed back up in case Fonners was injured if nothing else. Otherwise it would be a rush for a loanee.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Generally happy with the Donnelly signing. The reality is we need back-up -if Stockton gets a knock the only option is Odejayi or Richards (striker/winger) - apparently Rochdale fans glad to get shut, but equally Stockport fans voted as player they most wanted to resign a while back - albeit they have dropped down the leagues of late.

Apparently he puts a shift in and score 1 in 4 - could be worse. Maybe RE thinks he can improve him further.

Just good to see us involved and splashing some cash - new goalie as well:)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We should stick Brezovan in goal for the rest of the season to give Fonners a nice break ;)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We keep plugging away..