• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

George Barker

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Rovers have signed 23-year-old striker George Barker from Swindon on a month-long loan. It makes some sense as Cole is out for so long and the other three strikers are not hitting the target. However, Barker has made only made a handful of league appearances in several years as a pro with Brighton and the Robins and has yet to score a goal in league or cup. Bringing in a player with his record may not be the best recipe to lift a team lacking confidence, but I hope I'm proved wrong and he uses this chance to revive his career.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I get what your saying. It's a risk, just like any loan signing as usually in our situation they are pretty much unproven or haven't been playing regularly. Really not sure what the answer is up front. We have quite a few to pick from now (Donnelly, Odejayi, Richards and now Barker) and I don't think RE really know his best pairing up front. Let's hope he has the spark we need to get the team winning again. We really need some goals to boost confidence.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think as much as anything we are just missing Stockton badly at the moment, as he has been our most consistent goalscorer this season.

Player
Backayogo
Its the defence that needs strengthening. With regards to Stockton, I and many around me think he is a useless lump who occasionally scores a goal too keep him in the side. With regards to the "the lad is still learning" when is he going to learn to put his weight around, to score with his head, to muscle his way past people, to become a striker?

Player
Manager
John King
The defence have done well in recent games in general play: we have been conceding from set plays, and defence from set pieces is the responsibility of the whole team, not just the back four.

I think your comments regarding Stockton are pretty daft: he might benefit from playing alongside someone else, but he is clearly improving and has been our most likely goalscorer this season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Don't forget, he's still only 20. I honestly think if he had an injury free season, he'd score us 15+ goals in a team struggling at the bottom with zero confidence. I'd agree with some of the above comment. For a big lad, he doesn't throw himself around and become a nuisance and his head is pretty weak. He does have a cracking right foot though.

Player
Backayogo
If you're good enough, you are old enough and he plainly isn't. On the subjectt of strikers. Edwards brings another striker in, what must the other strikers think? A bit insulted I would say.

Player
Manager
John King
If you're good enough, you are old enough and he plainly isn't. On the subjectt of strikers. Edwards brings another striker in, what must the other strikers think? A bit insulted I would say.

A silly comment in my view. He was one of our better players today and it is not his fault he was turning out for a (currently) shambolic outfit.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Barker's pedigree isn't that great, but in our current position was worth a punt. I'll reserve further comment until seeing him in action.

One of the good things about Edwards was showing faith in Cole Stockton. Played with another striker close to him, he's capable of getting well into double figures at this level. I don't know how long he's going to be out for, but hope the new manager will give him opportunities when fit.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Barker's pedigree isn't that great, but in our current position was worth a punt. I'll reserve further comment until seeing him in action.

One of the good things about Edwards was showing faith in Cole Stockton. Played with another striker close to him, he's capable of getting well into double figures at this level. I don't know how long he's going to be out for, but hope the new manager will give him opportunities when fit.

Likely to be out for further 6 weeks, Barker to me doesn't look like a striker, more an attacking midfielder

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Gill gone today, and I notice we've also let Barker go back to Swindon early....no surprises in either case really. Next to go?