• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FGR V Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Do you not perceive Lincoln as a potential top-spot rival BBTC?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A few things from the commentary to throw into the mix.

It seems that a lot of balls were getting into our box in the first half and Wishart was running riot down our right. That changed when Ihiekwe went tighter. Scott Davies didn't seem to be at his most commanding in the box, often opting to stay on his line, though still made some good saves.

Cook seemed to be well-marked by Pinnock, but it looked as though he'd been given 10 minutes after the break and wasn't surprised to come off. Purely tactical, or was he carrying an injury?

Players singled out for praise included Kirby and despite a mysterious booking at the start of the second half, their MoM was Jeff Hughes.

Agree with drwhoman about the benefit of having a manager knowing what he's doing and astute tactical changes earned us a point here.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I listened to most of the game and it sounded like a great advert for non league football. As Boz says Kirby sounded like he did well and has clearly impressed MM with his work rate, especially away from home. I was worried at half time but credit again to MM for changing things and bringing on Nors at the right time.

I was worried when they said Ihikwe was RB but sounded like 2nd half he did very well. You can understand MM not wanting to disrupt the centre half partnership of Sutton & Big Mac.

I suspect Cook coming off was purely tactical given we had Nors to come on. Cookie works his socks off and no harm giving him a rest when James can come on plus good for Mangan to get more match time. Hopefully he'll open his account on Saturday.

A point at the league leaders is a good one, despite other teams around us winning. We need to beat Torquay at home on Sat now

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I wonder if our defence was weakened with MI playing at RB? Although it did sound like the whole back four were stretched for most of the first half.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Do you not perceive Lincoln as a potential top-spot rival BBTC?
Definitely! And if/when they lead the table I'll be wanting every team they play to beat them.

At the moment, the teams with form and likely staying power are FGR, Lincoln, Dag & Red and us. One of these four is likely to be champions and the others will be in the play-offs. The Daggers are having a blip at the moment but are good enough to recover. Of those outside the play-offs, I expect Ronnie's Eastleigh to move up once the distraction of their FA Cup run is over.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A fantastic game of football between two excellent sides. While we can be critical of Forest Green for many reasons, you can't question the quality of the football they are playing this season and in the first half last night some of their play was sublime. With the possible exception of MK Dons a few years ago, I have not seen a lower league side control the ball and switch play the way they did in the first forty five minutes last night. All credit then to Rovers, for having the tactical know-how and the character to beat FGR at their own game after half time: some of our one-touch passing and movement was superb in the second half.

In the first half we were outplayed, in the first fifteen minutes outclassed. FGR set up in a diamond formation and tactically we could not cope, with Hughes and Maynard overrun in midfield and the back four under constant pressure. Having equalised their early goal with a set play, we took a battering for the next twenty minutes and it was only some last ditch blocks, some great saves from Davies and the profligacy of the FGR forwards that kept us in the game. The pressure did ease slightly midway through the half, but we still had no genuine possession and spent virtually the entire forty five minutes in our half of the pitch. Our problems were not just down to the brilliance of FGR's passing, as we failed to press or put a foot in in midfield and our full backs never got tight and allowed far too many crosses to come into our box. I was amazed that we were still in the game at half time and if FGR had a top quality striker I don't think we would have been: their lack of a top goalscorer is their obvious weakness and could cost them ultimately.

Micky had to change things to give us a chance of getting back into the game, and after the break Kirby was moved into midfield and Tollitt was also switched centrally to play behind the strikers. The change brought immediate dividends as we gained control of midfield in the early stages of the half and began to grow in confidence, looking more comfortable in possession and pressing FGR as a team whenever they tried to play out. The movement and probing of Kirby and Tollitt began to carve FGR open, and Hughes began to dictate things in the centre. Micky made a further tactical switch, replacing Cook with Norwood, which made sense as with our narrow formation there was not much supply from out wide for a target man. After creating numerous chances, Norwood deservedly equalised after being played in by Mangan, expertly finishing the kind of one-on-one opportunity he has often missed while at Rovers. For the remainder of the match we controlled proceedings, although FGR did have a threat on the break, and Mangan should really have won the game in stoppage time, the FGR keeper denying him with a great save.

Overall, I get the impression that FGR played much better last night than they did against Lincoln, partly in reaction to that defeat, while Rovers looked a much better side than Lincoln did on Saturday, which has to be encouraging. A number of FGR fans have said it was the best game they had seen at this level. I think the championship race is wide open, with ourselves, FGR, Lincoln, Dagenham and Barrow all capable of winning it, but we certainly have nothing to fear from any of those teams. I think we just have to enjoy the attacking football we are playing under Mellon and hope we get the breaks in the crucial stages of the season.

Individually, it is difficult to single players out as the whole team put in a monumental effort in the second half. However, Hughes, Tollitt and the much maligned Kirby would be my pick of the players, while Ihiekwe put in a terrific performance at right back in the second half, both defensively and on numerous attacking raids.

A great night and hopefully there will be more to come under MM.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks RLC. A lot of us missed a cracking game. I was surprised we scored almost immediately in the first half having been under so much pressure.

Seems like the league is now forming and there will be quite a few teams fighting for that elusive top spot.

Player
Manager
John King
A quote from the Forest Green manager:

"They are the best team we have played, they have got the best players. If we finish above them we will win the league".

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A quote from the Forest Green manager:

"They are the best team we have played, they have got the best players. If we finish above them we will win the league".
That speaks volumes. Yes, we do have an excellent squad and nearly all the credit has to go to GB. However, he'd never have won us promotion. I think we've already seen that MM has much better man management, tactical nous and flexibility.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Saw that RLC. Watched his post match interview on you tube. He seems a decent enough bloke.
He said that he thought FGR should have won but equally they could have lost.
Probably a fair assessment given the battering we took in first half.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Caught up with the goals. The first one for Forest Green was poorly defended and Davies should have come off his line sooner, but the other trio were quality both in the creation and finishing.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Manager
John King
Ihiekwe was also at fault for the first goal; caught on the wrong side and the ball travelled a long way before he reacted.