• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FGR V Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Last season's first visit to The New Lawn, saw an unexpectedly comfortable win against Forest Green with James Norwood scoring against his former club. A lot has happened in the last year, as this battle 1st v 3rd approaches. It's not quite reached the 'mustn't lose' category, but a defeat would make the automatic slot seem a lot further away.

The hosts, like Rovers, have changed manager in the intervening period. Mark Cooper's managerial career has been mixed, but he's more experienced than his predecessor. The way he sets up his sides means it's unlikely that we'll see a repeat of last season's thuggery at PP and this is likely to be a game with goals in it. FGR top scorers are Christian Doidge and Rhys Murphy, both with FL experience, but there's a number of names on the score-sheet and goals seem to come from all areas for them.

Assuming Vaughan and Harris are suspended, the o/s remains silent, we'll have to change the side. It sounds like Dawson was not match ready at the weekend, so given the options now available, it would be a surprise if he starts. The defence picks itself, but I hope Micky does not use Ihiekwe as right-back. Although Norwood will be itching to get a game against his old club, Cook and Mangan seemed to be developing an understanding up front and Tollit is more effective out wide, so wouldn't expect him to start. My suggested starting xi

Davies
Sutton McNulty Ihiekwe Ridehalgh
Kirby Maynard Hughes Tollit
Mangan Cook

On the bench Turner Norwood Dawson Mekki. It's a shame Duggan isn't available, but think we need a defensive option. If Gumbs is still with us would pick him otherwise Clarke. Bit harsh on Stephenson, but in a game like this, young/experienced in position would do better than a midfielder/forward filling in.

Prediction: Fairly confident it won't be 0-0, but otherwise no idea, all options possible.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with Boz regarding Norwood. Mangan looked a bit rusty to me v Chester but by all accounts was sharper at Braintree. Arguably Dawson needs the same match practice to get up to speed but we can't carry midfield passengers at FGR whereas we could at Braintree perhaps. Pleased Maynard is back in as does give the defence protection.

I'd therefore reluctantly go with the team Boz has suggested as although I'm a massive fan of Dawson, we need everyone on their A game and Tollit has a goal in him and was doing well up until his Tom Daley impression.

I do think though that if we're still in the game with say 60 mins gone, get Norwood on as he can score from nothing. He will be itching to play and get one over on his former club. Agree about Stephenson as although I'm not a great fan of Mekki, apparently he did well on Saturday.

Prediction: score draw which won't be bad at all albeit Lincoln have a winnable trip to Danny Holmes' York City.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with Boz about the starting line up. The only debate for me is whether to start with Mangan or Norwood. The latter was superb in the corresponding fixture last season, and contributes more in general play. However, Mangan is more likely to nick a goal in a tight match (cf. Cheltenham away last season) and was back to his best on Saturday and I would give him the nod.

From what I have read, the teams that have struggled at the New Lawn this season have sat back and allowed FGR to play their possession game. I am sure Mellon will adopt the opposite approach and get us on the front foot, and an open game may actually suit us. Although Forest Green have a good all round squad, I think we have got more firepower up front with Cook, Mangan and Norwood if the game gets stretched.

It is absolutely tipping it down in the West Country at the moment, so I just hope the game goes ahead. It is difficult to estimate the number of Rovers fans who will attend, as we don't have many exiles in that part of the world. However, I think it will be a bigger turnout than on Saturday, perhaps 400.

I also agree with the OP that a draw would be a good result, and even defeat does not end our automatic promotion hopes.

Prediction: too close to call.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I can't argue with the thoughts on team selection already expressed. This match will give the winners a bit of extra momentum, but it's far too early for it to be critical for either team. On paper, it's our toughest match of the season, but FGR probably regard it as their toughest at home!

I can honestly foresee it ending up any of five ways - draw, narrow win/defeat, decisive win/defeat. FGR will still be bruised from Saturday, but whether they will be deflated tomorrow or really up for it, only time will tell. If pushed, I think we might win, but I'm prepared for the worst.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Going to be a tight game this one with both teams looking to push forward. Agree with Boz about starting XI. A win would be superb but I'd be happy with the draw just to keep the unbeaten league form going.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Game definately on. Good luck Rovers!

Player
Manager
John King
The team we all expected, Kirby and tollitt wide, cook and mangan up front. Getting nervous now.....

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If we are to win the league these are the games we need to win !!!

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bloody hell, frantic start.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If we are to win the league these are the games we need to win !!!
Doesn't sound like we'll be winning the league on this showing. Forest Green seem well on top.

Player
Manager
John King
Absolutely woeful half from rovers. We have been battered and should be four or five down, Davies has kept us in it. Completely overrun in midfield and I can't see us getting anything out of this. Great turnout from the SWA, about 500.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
500 is an amazing turnout for an awkward to get to midweek game.
Sounds like we're overrun in midfield and Tollit seems to be very quiet. Surprised MM hasn't made a h/t change.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hoping with Norwood on we can rescue a draw.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
And there we go!!!!! come on boys.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Certainly sounded like a better second half and a flurry of chances at the end but possibly rode our luck at times. Great point however.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sounds like an excellent recovery in the second half, could have won it in the end. Await RLCs report

Player
Manager
John King
An excellent second half and we should have won it in the end. Tactical change to 4312 with Kirby and tollitt played centrally did the trick. A superb game of football, doubt you will see a better one at this level. 350 SWA present, looked more to me though. Vocal support brilliant throughout. More tomorrow.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sounded very entertaining. Just a shame there were little more than 2000 there to see two of the best teams in the league. Quite pathetic.

I'm more than happy with a point. We survived a battering, came back twice and finished strongly. FGR have lost five points in two home games in four days, so they are gradually being reeled in. I'm not worried about the other results tonight. We just need to keep chasing after FGR.

I look forward to RLC's report.