• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FA Trophy draw

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Bloody awful again, Wrexham away. I think someone at Rovers must have driven over a black cat as we have had four terrible cup draws in succession now.

I know a lot of people are not bothered about this competition, but it would at least have been nice to have drawn one of the smaller teams.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Crap draw, can't really play too weak a team at Wrexham so opportunities for the fringe and younger players limited.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we should definitely just write off cup games this season.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
In our current form, this match is winnable. I just hope the extra passion will not result in more bookings and injuries.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Wanted an FA Cup run but not that bothered about the trophy

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Last 16 draw sees another winnable home time with Chelmsford City the visitors. Currently in the National League South they finished 15th last season but lie a respectable 4th at the moment. To be played weekend of 4th/5th Feb so away trip to Barrow will be p/p.

Ex rover triallist Shaun Jeffers is in their squad who if I recall, turned down a move to PP when Ronnie was in charge as we refused to pay his rent! Ronnie quite rightly saying this is what his wages were for!

Although not an easy match, given we are home and with a quarter final place on offer, suspect MM will take this seriously and be pleased with the draw.

Player
Manager
John King
A good draw. Another team we have never faced before and a good chance of progressing. I would imagine Chelmsford will be of a similar standard to some of the lower National League teams, so it should be a reasonable match and not a walkover. I believe Chelmsford is the largest town in England never to have had a league team.

Jeffers was a decent player and later scored against us for Peterborough, if I remember rightly.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A good draw, definitely one I'd have taken. Another great day out for the away fans. The only downer is the postponement of the Barrow game, which will probably be midweek with fewer SWA present.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's not a bad draw, tougher opponents than last time, but still winnable. Given both us and Barrow had home ties against sides lower in the pyramid it was likely that at least one would progress. If we get past this one, the home game with Boreham Wood will be shifted and so on. Sutton will be back from his suspension too.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good draw, and hopefully another nice workout although we'll probably need to put in more than 45 minutes against these lot who will be far trickier than South Park.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Semi final draw sees a 2 legged tie against Dulwich Hamlet or Macclesfield. A valiant comeback from Dulwich saw them claim a 2-2 draw on Saturday and a replay at Moss Rose this week.

Could have been worse had we faced Lincoln but Macc have beaten us twice this season and been a tough opponent. Would love Dulwich to win the replay but unlikely.

1st leg will be away on 11th March. 2nd leg at PP (which may help), on 18th March. Home match V Dover and Away at Torquay to be rearranged.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Good to avoid Lincoln but Maccs (I'm sure they'll win tomorrow) will be no gimme. They will be equally glad to avoid Imps and as Sparky says, they've turned us over a few times.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
In fact we beat Macc at home on Boxing Day 1-0 only to lose 4-2 away on New Years Day, after leading 2-0. Should be a good tie although to win the Trophy it might have been better to play Lincoln over 2 legs in the semis. Still more important we get 3 points tomorrow, when Macc play Dulwich in their replay.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It's a good local draw for the fans, if it's Macc.

More importantly, it's a bit of practice playing over two legs in case we are involved in the play-offs, as seems likely. In fact, this could be a rehearsal for playing Macc again in May.

(Last time we played over two legs was v Hartlepools in the League One play-off in 2005.)

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Cheers frenchrover - not sure why I said Macc had beaten us twice this season. Must be because we were lucky to win on Boxing Day if I remember rightly ! Macc's winger Rowe (now at Ipswich) missing a sitter after a Vaughan error.

Assume Connor J will be back with us by then so may have some inside information which may help.

BBTC - I can still remember that Hartlepool game vividly. Little David Beresford's last minute equaliser sent us delirious to go into extra time - before Ian Sharps I think missed the decisive spot kick.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
They beat us at home new year's day last season so you could say they've beaten us twice in a year! Probably what you meant Sparky!
Ridiculously low money on offer for these games - £16k for the winners of the semis.
£8k for the Barrow win.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In fact we were 0-1 and 1-2 up at Macc before losing the New Year's Day fixture 4-2. The home game was fairly uncomfortable though we won it.

Of course, Dulwich could always surprise us...

Player
Manager
John King
A decent draw. Macclesfield will be tricky but there will be plenty of tickets available for the away leg and a good atmosphere at both games. I think we will get past them over two matches.