• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FA Cup draw

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Barrow away, a bloody awful draw. I was hoping we would get one of the minnows away from home, but this is the third tough draw we have had in succession, after Lincoln and Wrexham last season.

I would not be distraught about going out of the cup early, but I hoped we would at least get a more romantic tie than this one.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
No interest in this.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Rubbish draw, but I still love the cup and would welcome a good run. Should be more pragmatic I know............but can't!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
RLC, I thought you'd have fond memories of last season's dramatic league game and would want to return ;) . Yes, I agree it's a bad draw, but no better for Barrow.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Some thoughts on the FA Cup.

I thought the first two rounds were a great advertisement for the excitement of the competition and a great PR boost for the National League.

Ironically, the success of Lincoln, Eastleigh and Barrow has allowed us to steal a march on them and move to the top of league. Extended cup runs could ultimately cause fixture congestion which might help us to get promoted.

However, how many of us would rather Rovers were in the third round draw with a winnable home tie and the prospect of a little fame and glory?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If not being in the FA Cup third round means we get back into the FL, then it's a price worth paying, though in an ideal world we'd have both.

Unfortunately, none of our fellow NL who've made the third round have been rewarded for their efforts with a lucrative tie. Lincoln's trip to Ipswich is probably the most glamorous and that's stretching a point, while Sutton and Barrow have a chance of progressing further.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
how many of us would rather Rovers were in the third round draw with a winnable home tie and the prospect of a little fame and glory?
No thanks. Right now, the one and only objective for this season is to get back into the football league. If we can do that, there will be many more opportunities for cup runs.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
In my head I agree, but we got neither last year. I think the worst cup to be involved in is the fa trophy. No money or glory until the final but a fixture pile up. Although somehow Grimsby managed to win it and get promoted.

Player
Manager
John King
While I would prefer promotion to any cup run, winning games and success in the cups breeds confidence. Last night Lincoln had a great crowd, a televised game and battered a league club. The confidence of players and supporters will be sky high as a result and will carry over to the league game against us. The same with barrow. That is why I think it is important we win on Saturday and keep the momentum going. There are not many matches in the trophy and the league fixture list is not as hectic after Christmas. We have a squad that can deal with the extra games and a number of clubs have reached the final and been promoted in recent years.

M

Mal

While I would prefer promotion to any cup run, winning games and success in the cups breeds confidence. Last night Lincoln had a great crowd, a televised game and battered a league club. The confidence of players and supporters will be sky high as a result and will carry over to the league game against us. The same with barrow. That is why I think it is important we win on Saturday and keep the momentum going. There are not many matches in the trophy and the league fixture list is not as hectic after Christmas. We have a squad that can deal with the extra games and a number of clubs have reached the final and been promoted in recent years.
Unfortunately, I have bad memories of Aldridges's teams only getting going in cup games and failing miserably in the league, so I prefer not to have the distraction. At least, not until back in Championship ;0)

Player
Manager
John King
That was because we did not have the resources or depth in the squad under Aldridge to have success in the league. That is not the case now. You have obviously forgotten that virtually every season that we won promotion or reached the play offs under John king we also had a cup run.

M

Mal

That was because we did not have the resources or depth in the squad under Aldridge to have success in the league. That is not the case now. You have obviously forgotten that virtually every season that we won promotion or reached the play offs under John king we also had a cup run.
and won a cup whilst losing a playoff final ;9)

Player
Manager
John King
And won promotion while playing in the same final the following season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think it's a good chance for the young lads to get a run out.

M

Mal

And won promotion while playing in the same final the following season.
whilst losing the cup.... I still think it is a priority to get out of the national league. And cup games are a diversion. Still, let us see how Lincoln and Barrow fare with their cup diversions this season.

Player
Manager
John King
Lincoln or barrow could easily be promoted, just like we were in 1991. Barrow's 'diversion' has not harmed them so far as they are unbeaten in 25 games. We came through six rounds of a cup competition in 1991 and still won promotion. In 1990 we came through six rounds in the Leyland daf, matched our best ever performance in the league cup, and still reached a play off final. In 1989 we reached the fourth round of the league cup - and won promotion. Success breeds success. The best teams perform in cup and league because they are good teams. Our cup runs in those seasons helped give us the momentum to be successful in the league. Grimsby reached the fa trophy final last season and won promotion. I could go on.....

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Lincoln or barrow could easily be promoted, just like we were in 1991. Barrow's 'diversion' has not harmed them so far as they are unbeaten in 25 games. We came through six rounds of a cup competition in 1991 and still won promotion. In 1990 we came through six rounds in the Leyland daf, matched our best ever performance in the league cup, and still reached a play off final. In 1989 we reached the fourth round of the league cup - and won promotion. Success breeds success. The best teams perform in cup and league because they are good teams. Our cup runs in those seasons helped give us the momentum to be successful in the league. Grimsby reached the fa trophy final last season and won promotion. I could go on.....
OK, I think you've given some great examples. But I'm sure we can all think of times when it's gone the other way. in 2001, we reached the quarter-finals of the FA Cup and the fourth round of the League Cup, but finished bottom of the league. And last season's great cup run by Eastleigh probably cost them their play-off place. In summary, I think it can go either way.

Player
Manager
John King
As I said previously, in 2001 there were inherent weaknesses in the squad and we were struggling badly before we even kicked a ball in the cup. The previous season was our best ever in cup competitions and our league form actually improved when the cup runs started and we finished comfortably in mid table. In general in our, and most other teams history, success in the cup goes hand in hand with success in the league.