• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Exeter v Tranmere

Exeter v Tranmere
Posted by Ian
St James' Park
Saturday, March 2, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 2, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
ian goodison
don,t know about the lads buzzing cowshed kid I,m in heaven here, could this be the result of the season

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A very good result, we are on a roll now with 13 points from 15 onto next Friday and hopefully 3 more points v crewe

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What a save!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Unbelievable save! Pleased also for Nors scoring for the first time at Exeter, where he started his league career.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Norwood got a bit lucky but you make you own luck.
Ellis' pass to him was superb so it deserved a goal just for that. :)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Just got back and still buzzing !

That was a fantastic performance. The first half display surely has to be our best of the season. To go away from home against one of the top sides and start the game with the confidence and intensity we did, gaining complete control of the game, was hugely impressive. We obviously knew that Exeter would pass out from the back and pressed high up the pitch to prevent them getting any kind of tempo. When we were in possession ourselves, our passing and movement was excellent and we were very unlucky not to have the game wrapped up by half time. We had several good chances and got into good areas on numerous occasions, whereas Exeter did not have a shot on goal. After the break the expected onslaught came, but we restricted the hosts to relatively few opportunities until their midfield heavyweights - Law and Boateng - were introduced in the last half an hour. In the closing stages there were numerous vital blocks and interceptions from Rovers defenders, and two superb saves from Scottie, the latter right at the death which David de Gea would have been proud of.

There were superb performances throughout the team, with Norwood's workrate incredible and the two centre halves outstanding again, while Johnny Smith was also full of energy. However, I thought several of the unsung players were fantastic for us today. Luke McCullough had a great game in midfield, not only with his tackling but also his passing, which is hugely underrated I think. Jake Caprice had his best game so far, both offensively and defensively. He was up against a very good player in Matt Jay but went stride for stride with him and really nullified his threat down our right hand side. Jake's defending has improved massively as the season has progressed. Scott Davies was also fantastic when called upon, and is another player who is hugely underappreciated by our supporters in my opinion. It was good to see him join in the singing with the SWA after the final whistle as well.

The only slight negatives were a below par performance from Perkins, who was a bit off the pace, and a slightly dodgy display by Zoum in the second half until Jennings was switched to the left hand side to give him more assistance. However, it would be harsh to criticise any of the players after their efforts today.

If we can stay clear of major injuries in the coming weeks, we surely have a great chance of a play off place with this group of players. Contrary to the claims of the experts who were trying to undermine him a few weeks ago, Micky Mellon continues to do an incredible job for this club.

SWA !

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Kudos to the travelling SWA.
Loads of complimentary tweets from ECFC fans - it's far easier to offer a patronising pat on the back when you've won.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Highlights

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I find it interesting. Personally, might have gone for a more negative 532 away formation, but so far Micky's more positive options have worked

Player
aldo
What a few weeks im on my wife's mobie as we still have no lap top . We should be up and running again on friday . The new lads have made a huge difference . Apart from dagnall . Who to be fair to him havent had a chance. Well done mm and the team now lets keep it up . Lets fill pp on friday realy looking forward to it

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I find it interesting. Personally, might have gone for a more negative 532 away formation, but so far Micky's more positive options have worked
Our ball retention in midfield is much better now that we have Pringle and Perkins, which means there is less pressure on the defence. In addition, all of the current back four are in their best form of the season (helped by the change of personnel in midfield) with Monthe and Ellis unexpectedly forming a superb partnership. Caprice continues to improve and Zoum is back to his early season form.