• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL fixtures announced

EFL fixtures announced
Posted by Ian
London
Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 09:00 AM
Until: Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 10:00 AM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Love the Fri night games. Good to see them back.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Rovers have moved the home games v Macclesfield and Crewe to Friday night. On the one hand, it probably causes less difficulty for our fairly local opponents than moving other games and they’ll have had to agree the move. However, it’s likely to depress the attendance as a result. Unsure of the thinking behind this one.
In the old days (when the home fans filled the Cowshed), it was initially to avoid a clash with either of our neighbours. I used to like it, as I could go to two matches in a weekend. When Rovers were allowed to play all their weekend home games on a Friday, it created a better atmosphere and sometimes made travelling more difficult for the away teams. We even played our "midweek" games on a Monday to avoid similar clashes. Even now, I'll bet there are a few fans who would watch Rovers and Everton/Liverpool if the fixture planners were kinder.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We played Friday night and Monday night matches regularly up until the late eighties / early nineties and the two fixtures next season will be a novelty. However, as a middle aged fart night matches are more awkward for me these days, so I prefer to stick to Saturdays.

The club polled supporters about Friday night games a couple of years ago, and the majority did not want to return to them on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think the Macclesfield game coincides with an international break, so Scousers/Tunnel Rats who wanted to watch Rovers would be able to, even if played 3pm Saturday.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the Macclesfield game coincides with an international break, so Scousers/Tunnel Rats who wanted to watch Rovers would be able to, even if played 3pm Saturday.
Yes, I don't think there is much demand for watching two games in a weekend these days. The prices are prohibitive for a start, and times have changed. We have a core support which we did not have in the early eighties when I started going and most Rovers supporters have no love at all for those two clubs, or PL football in general.

We benefit more these days from the occasional visits of the Norwegians. The worry is that the away support will be greatly reduced for the Crewe game, which is our closest derby.

The old Friday night atmosphere was great though.

drwhoman

shame about Fridays. Some great nights when the old wooden stand was rocking with stamping feet!!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
shame about Fridays. Some great nights when the old wooden stand was rocking with stamping feet!!
So, you went in the stand? Didn't realise you were so posh. ;) The sound I remember most was the thud of a wayward shot hitting the front of the Cowshed roof - inevitably followed by a shower of rust fragments on the fans below.

drwhoman

Went in the stand with the Bebington relatives who paid for a poor teenager! Cowshed when solus! Fish and chips after the game and then on the way home on a blue Birkenhead Corp bus which all stood in a line in Prenton Rd West! We lived in Liverpool at the time so it was bus/ferry/bus home! I remember all the ships in the docks with their lights. All different now of course.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Always in the Cowshed for me. Then the bus home or more likely a three mile walk and spending the fare on fish and chips.