• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Edwards gone

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
No big surprises here, but RE has left the club. I wish him well for the future, but it was the wrong place and time for him to start his way into management. Palios is now looking for someone with an extensive network of contacts so we can bring some quality into the side, as we do need it if we're to get out of this mess.

I wonder what will happen to some of Rob's signings who clearly aren't good enough? Surely we would have to get rid of some to allow others to come in. Good luck to whoever comes in, he'll certainly need it.

Player
Liam Palmer
Inevitable really, but another sad day for Rovers. Hopefully the only way is up.

Nick Hilton's damning assessment in today's Echo was pretty spot on, and Edwards admitted some of the his players weren't fighting on his behalf.

I think we need someone with experience in, it's a firefighting situation. Calling red Adair....

Player
Nixon
He had to go, Never called for a manager to be sacked before. (Barnes wasn't a manager,just a PR stunt/clown)

I do wish him the best in the future.....

But I did hear, when he was leaving Prenton Park today he picked the wrong door and ended up in the broom cupboard!!

He then blamed the joiner who put it there.

and then the painter who painted it the same colour as the other doors.

:)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Nick Hilton's damning assessment in today's Echo was pretty spot on, and Edwards admitted some of the his players weren't fighting on his behalf.

Yes, that was a really good article.

I feel very sorry for Rob, much more so than several of his predecessors. Definitely the right decision though, and it is good that the club is no longer prepared to put up with utter mediocrity. I actually think this group of players is good enough to keep us up with better management.

I wonder where this whole debacle leaves Jeremy Butler ? You just have to be glad PJ is no longer here, or we would definitely be Conference bound now.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes a sad day for rovers and for Rob too and I think most rovers fans would wish him well for the future.

I think we need an old head to come in and sort some of the players out. Someone with a no nonsense attitude who knows the lower leagues.

Early days of course but dave jones is 1/4 fav and has a pretty good managerial record. He is my choice. If not, I'd go for Ronnie but appreciate not everyone holds that view.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
He simply had to go he was out of his depth and fair to say would've took us down.

As for the new man Dave Jones would be a good choice and aparrently has been at the last 2 home games though that doesn't have to mean much, as for Ronnie no way should he be allowed back.

Reactions: Ian

drwhoman

Mark's comments suggest that Dave Jones could well be the man. Probably need to tie up his financial package. I would imagine that Russell and possibly Gill will also go, although the the latter may stay as a player. He has something to offer. Depends if he wants to do that of course. Yes - will be interesting to see what happens with JB. Maybe it is just me but his body language did not look good when the new owners were announced. Depends if he can help drive the owners vision. If not it will be Cheerio to him as well.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
JB has been very quiet lately. Dave Jones is strongly tipped to be taking over. And of course, the same old names are being churned out. Moore back for third spell, Fowler in the frame etc etc..

Player
Manager
John King
I am certainly hoping it is Jones. The rest of the 'candidates', however, fill me with horror: Moore, Fowler, Ince; I think I even saw John Barnes' name in there !

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This is just about the most predictable piece of football news in a long time. I admit to having checked the internet every hour or so today. In terms of why he had to go and what a basically good bloke he is, I agree with what's already been said. I hope Rob finds another coaching job soon.

Personally, I'd welcome Dave Jones as gaffer. He has had a lot of experience of success/failure and knowledge of football at all levels. His contacts book alone would be worth his salary. However, even if he doesn't get/want the job, having him in for a week or two to steady the ship and to help find a suitable manager would be progress.

You have to ask a few questions. Who interviewed Rob for the job? Was anyone with any experience of club management on the interview panel? I expect not. Rob has said he felt let down by some of the players. Given that he brought in so many of them and he has given youngsters like Carl, Max and Jake so much playing time, I wonder who the rebels are.

I'm expecting a lot of change at the club over the next few weeks. Rob brought in his own assistant (Gill) and first-team coach (Russell). Would a new manager want to bring his own people in? MP has said he thinks some new players are needed, so maybe we'll see a few loanees soon and some permanent signings in January.

I would expect the new man to be in place within two to three weeks, so he can assess the staff and make the changes he wants by the end of the transfer window. Meanwhile, I am actually looking forward to seeing how Dave Jones gets on with the current squad. Everyone seems to think it's been underperforming. The next four games are against fellow strugglers, so I would hope we can pick up a few points - and maybe score a few goals.

Last edited:

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Word elsewhere on the net is that it's Dave Jones until the end of the season! Well we'll just have to wait a little longer for confirmation or otherwise. But in Palios I trust for the best for the club.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think they are looking to appoint pretty much now, we don't have a few weeks to wait around.
Rovers' recruitment has been woeful over the years.

Last few managers (i might have missed some out):

Edwards
Moore
Parry
Barnes
Moore
Little
Mathias
Watson

Ouch! Hardly been a honeymoon has it. I trust Palios will make a good decision.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think they are looking to appoint pretty much now, we don't have a few weeks to wait around.
Rovers' recruitment has been woeful over the years.

Last few managers (i might have missed some out):

Edwards
Moore
Parry
Barnes
Moore
Little
Mathias
Watson

Ouch! Hardly been a honeymoon has it. I trust Palios will make a good decision.
It's not brilliant, but that's 8 in 13 years. Most clubs at our level have had at least as many. Only Watson, Barnes and Edwards have been complete failures. The others have had their moments. But oh for another Johnny King - or even another Aldo!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I understand Dave jones has turned us down - wanted too much money. Micky Adams has been offered the job

Player
Manager
John King
Disappointing about Jones if true. I think Adams would be a decent appointment but is not known for playing flowing football. However, in the circumstances we now find ourselves, that is probably not the major consideration.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes Adams won't be many people's first choice but is experienced, knows the lower leagues and does have promotion from L2 know how.

Only rumours though and the impression I got was that the process would not be rushed.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Did he want too much money or were we not offering enough? If Palios wants an experienced head he's going to have to pay for it. Don't think Adams will want it. He left Vale because he hadn't won in 9 games or something and it was putting a strain on his family life. Bottom of the league, low budget, no league win in seven games, can't score goals. It'll take a fool or a brave man to take this on.

Player
Manager
John King
Did he want too much money or were we not offering enough? If Palios wants an experienced head he's going to have to pay for it.

In fairness to Palios, he has substantially increased investment on and off the pitch in the last couple of months, and he is not a multi-millionaire. Not sure we can expect him to do much more in the short-term. Although Edwards complained about the budget, my understanding is that it is middling for this level and if you look on the back of the programme our squad is bigger than most in League Two.

Dave Jones has managed most of his career in the PL / Championship, so it would always be difficult to meet his demands. You might be right about Adams, given that it was apparently his decision to leave Vale Park.

Player
Manager
John King
Nick Hilton now reports in the Echo that there have been thirty applications for the job so far and interviews are yet to be held, so rumours that a decision has been made are wide of the mark. Apparently Russell and Gill are to take charge of the team on Saturday, which does not fill me with joy - I think Russell should have gone yesterday as well - but I suppose a decision as important as this one can't be rushed.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I leave the country for a weekend only to return with Rovers rock-bottom and looking for a new manager.

My reservation about what's happened is that Mark Palios is reported as saying we won't be rushed into appointing a replacement. Contrast that with York, who lost their manager the same day and are hoping to have a new man in place by the weekend. If we're going to be in the temporary manager position for a few weeks, then there is an argument that Rob Edwards should have been given longer to turn things round, although it's debatable whether he could.

On the caretaker option, I'd rather that was given to Shaun Garnett.