• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

dragons v rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
For the penalty, it looks like a blatant dive by Pearson. No surprise, as he spent most of the game whinging at the officials and feigning injury.

M

Mal

Off topic but having just re-watched the 1982/3 40 minutes documentary, I am thankful that we have an overall team that is playing well and a Board that is able to manage the finances. As for Taylor, presumably there will be coaching going on behind the scenes as the Management must be aware of his weaknesses.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Taylor of course came from being at the top of the list of available keepers in big Erics little black book. As Mal says there must be behind the scenes coaching, although some suggest Eric does little more at the club than arrange the Xmas party and pick up bibs and cones! Not being able to sign anything better than Fyldes reserve keeper has raised some eyebrows. Hopefully Scottie will be back asap.

Back to Wallace & Tollit, the good thing is when Ben came back in October, we werent playing well and everyone was making out he was our savior. A lot of pressure on him. At least this time we are playing well so there is less of a rush to bring him back. As for Wallace, I have very little faith he'll be able to play regularly. I feel sorry for him but history tells us he'll breakdown with some sort of injury. It must be hard on an athletes body when they miss months and months of football due to one injury, in that the rest of their body must weaken too.

Back to Saturday, as I've said I felt CJ was very poor and offered little. Whilst he had a golden patch of scoring throughout December, overall this season he has offered fairly little. To be fair he is played out of position and we hardly got forward at all down the left hand side on Saturday until Eddie came on. If Ben does come back then him and Gino on the wings could be very good. I think teams must realise that CJ always looks to come inside. Its a tough one - I prefer 4-4-2 but with the energy of the likes of Bucko and Eddie plus CJ being an attacking midfielder, 3-5-2 does play to our strengths at times.

Player
Manager
John King
While Jennings was at his best when he was playing in the hole in a 352 in December, I still think he has done a good job on the left hand side in the last few weeks. He was good against Woking and Maidenhead, and I think playing against his former club affected him yesterday as much as anything.

We don't really have the players this season to play 352. We used that system for a few games before Christmas, but that was with DMH at right wing back, which is not even his best position. There is no way Ginnelly or Buxton can play that role, so 442 is the most suitable system at the moment. Ideally we would play every player in their best position, but that is not realistic, certainly not with a relatively large squad like we have.

Given that Ginnelly is expecting to play regularly, it is likely we will play 442 with Josh and Tollitt as wingers once Ben is fully fit. Last season Mellon preferred Tollitt to Jennings when there was a straight choice between the two.

Regarding Wallace, as has been commented above, I think it is important that we only use him if it benefits the team as a whole. I don't think he could cope in a two-man midfield with Norburn for example.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Connor J may also have been a bit subdued by the early injury to his brother? He was quiet yesterday, but generally has done well. I would hope when Tollitt is back that CJ is not frozen out, as happened previously. I thought Norwood was fairly quiet yesterday and perhaps he could with a rest.

On the goalkeeping issue, Chester have just released Alex Lynch from his contract presumably due to their financial issues. If Pilling isn't the answer and my view is Taylor isn't, shouldn't we be looking at someone like that as cover for Scott Davies?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
On the goalkeeping issue, Chester have just released Alex Lynch from his contract presumably due to their financial issues. If Pilling isn't the answer and my view is Taylor isn't, shouldn't we be looking at someone like that as cover for Scott Davies?
I think Pilling should at least be given a chance. Not overly convinced by Taylor.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think Pilling should at least be given a chance. Not overly convinced by Taylor.
I agree, but the management lacked faith in him by diving in for a replacement as soon as Davies got injured, so I don’t see Micky/Eric back-tracking now.

drwhoman

Alibi situation may be a joke but at least we are not stuck with him. He might have been playing for Ebbsfleet next Saturday! And would probably have scored (LOL!).

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think it shows what a stinker the Alabi signing was! Does anyone want him ?

Last edited:
Player
aldo
The dover fans are baffled with him going back there. And some just dont wont him . He was not that bad last season but has turned into a wasted tallent shame . And we still gotta pay for him . Is he the new george donnelly

M

Mal

Moral of the story. Never have a new player selected for the game against Cammell Laird

drwhoman

Seen the highlights. Looked like a bit of a dive by Pearson. Ref conned. I see what people mean about Taylor. Does not look totally secure. Let us hope Gateshead do us a favour tonight against Wrexham.

Player
aldo
Fingers legs arms . Lets cross everything and hope ben tollitt . And james wallace come through the closed door game today . Jusr wont them to play a small part and have some luck

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Wrexham go from a 2-2 draw in front of 8,500 fans against us to a 0-0 away at Gateshead in front of less than 700.

A good result for us.

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We didn’t need them to win that, though Gateshead in decent form so our Welsh rivals won’t be too disappointed.

Player
Manager
John King
We didn’t need them to win that, though Gateshead in decent form so our Welsh rivals won’t be too disappointed.
Still a good result for us, as Wrexham's next two games against Guiseley and Halifax look pretty easy on paper.

Wrexham are still drawing a lot of games and their best player, Quigley, went off injured after half an hour.

Last edited: