• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

dragons v rovers

Player
aldo
Could be quite a battle . At the start . So could be good idea to get clarkie on after 60 mins to kick ares

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Rovers old boy David Raven on early as a sub for CJ's brother. Then an amazing five minutes with Rovers taking the lead and then conceding twice. But plenty of time to recover.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Their first goal looked like a keeping error unless the ball took an unfortunate bobble. Couldn’t see what the penalty was for. Their keeper made a good save from a downward header from Cook, who got the leveller just before h/t and harshly booked for over-celebrating. Don’t think we’re going to keep all eleven on the pitch, ref very inconsistent.

We seem to be conceding a lot of ground on the middle of the park, both Norburn and Harris fairly quiet. No idea how the second half will go.

Player
aldo
good game from what was said on radio we need pilling or davis back as soon as . was not a great second half but no shame in drawing . clark sounded his usual self . noorwood was quiet . we need to close down more . good point overall . with other results apart from the shots went are way

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Not quite sure to make of that, though a decent game. I’d agree with the radio comments AM mentioned, the goalkeeping issue is a concern. More when I get home.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was a decent performance and a good result. Aside from a crazy ten minute spell where we conceded the two goals, I thought we were the better side in the first half, certainly with the way we passed through midfield. Their equaliser was incredibly sloppy all round, as we seemed to completely switch off from the restart: no pressure on the ball and the potential goalkeeping error Boz refers to, albeit it was an excellent strike by Quigley, who looked a real handful. I have no idea what the penalty was given for, but we showed good character to regroup and control the majority of the rest of the half. We might have gone in ahead if it had not been for an excellent save by Dunn from a goalbound Cook header.

The second half was cagier and more even, with both sides apparently afraid of losing the game. However, the were further chances, our best a Norwood one-on-one which Cook could not quite follow up.

Individually, I thought Norburn, Buxton and Harris had decent games and Ridehalgh was solid and justified his selection. Ginnelly's final ball let him down at times, but he was tidy and took up some great positions. Connor Jennings was below par and seemed uncomfortable playing against his former club. My man of the match, however, was McNulty, who may have been at fault for the penalty but showed fantastic leadership qualities, particularly in the second half.

On the negative, Taylor still concerns me. In the second half he made an excellent full-length save to deny Quigley, but muffed an earlier, easier effort which he palmed back into the six yard box and needed Ridehalgh to rescue him. His distribution does not convince me either. I will be glad when Davies is back.

A good occasion and a result that keeps our title hopes intact. On to PP against Ebbsfleet.

M

Mal

Not quite sure to make of that, though a decent game. I’d agree with the radio comments AM mentioned, the goalkeeping issue is a concern. More when I get home.

Why? Their goalkeeper conceded two as well. At home.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thought we started really well and got the goal. Their equaliser was a poor one to concede. Quigley turning too easily and beating Taylor at his near post. Couldn’t see what the penalty was for but we kept going and Cook got a deserved equaliser.

2nd half as RLC says was very cagey but I was disappointed. We had a lot of the ball in the final third but were disappointing with it. We also played quite a few long balls to get Nors in behind which didn’t work. Too many poor crosses and whilst Ginnelly didn’t have a great second half, I thought CJ had a poor game and we needed Clarke on a bit earlier.

Some good performances but totally agree that the keeper Taylor looks dodgy. He just doesn’t look confident or that capable. Don’t think the defence are impressed and we need Scottie back ASAP.

Not a bad result if we follow it up with a win next saturday

Player
Manager
John King
We also played quite a few long balls to get Nors in behind which didn’t work.

I think that was partly down to their centre halves, who read the game well and are decent.

Might be time to give Luke Pilling a go.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Having reflected on the game during my journey back, think that this was a fairly decent performance from Rovers and with a bit more luck or balanced refereeing, we could have easily taken all the points. It did worry me that we couldn't convert our possession in the last 20 minutes or so into goals and when McNulty gave away a soft free-kick at the start of added time, I did fear a late Wrexham winner, which thankfully didn't happen.

It was the first time I'd seen Taylor and Ginnelly in action. I share RLCs concerns re our loanee keeper, second half when we were defending the away end and he conceded corners, where he should have held on, while failing to communicate with his defenders or command his area. If the management don't feel Pilling is ready, then my inclination would be to send Taylor back to Fylde and loan or bring someone else in until Davies is fit to return. Ginnelly started brightly, but seemed to drift out of the game and doesn't get involved defensively in the way DMH did. Eddie Clarke was not as influential as usual, when he came on.

Wrexham looked a reasonable side, two things they did well was the long passing to feet and the balls for their gangly forwards to run onto. As Sparky highlights, there were times when we opted for the long-ball route, which didn't yield results.

Micky's post-match comments highlighted the refereeing and the quality of the Wrexham keeper.

drwhoman

Good result. Macc did not win so gap is still 5 points. Will be interesting to see if Tollit at least makes the bench next week. If he stays fit he will really give us impetus at the business end of the season!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Micky said in his post game remarks that neither Tollitt or Wallace were match-fit yet. Think there is some behind closed doors friendly being set up. It will be good seeing Ben back playing, but no need to rush things. Wallace could also be a useful player in the run-in, deployed carefully.

As drwhoman says not lost ground on Macclesfield. The other results were generally favourable, though Aldershot who’ve brought a couple in had a good win. Woking bearing Fylde and checking their momentum was a good result for us.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just saw the goals. Their first was a poor one to concede. Quigley hit it well so not too much blame on Taylor but he turned McNulty and ridehalgh far too easily.

The penalty wasn’t clear but looked like poss Harris was tugging the shirt of Pearson before jay won the header.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The Quigley goal was much better than my initial impression, good flick on from Boden turn and firmly struck shot into the bottom corner. Defensively McNulty, his marker, could perhaps have kept things a bit tighter, but I tend to put it into the good goal rather than preventable error at the death. However, do agree with RLC that we seemed to have switched off at that point and could have done more stopping the ball reaching the danger area. Penalty, still not sure, the referee seemed very well positioned to see what he saw. However, there was an early holding of Cook when he didn't deem worthy of a spot kick, so no consistency.

Player
Manager
John King
My impression at the time was that it was a great turn and finish by Quigley, who looks a real player.

Player
aldo
Lets hope tollitt and wallace come through tuesday all clear . Then we should have them on the bench for next week cant wait to see them bothback on the pitch just hope they dont rush it this time

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I am looking forward to Tollitt coming back and hope he has a longer return this time. More reservations about Wallace,as he's clearly one of Micky's favourites and at times last season, his presence in the team created difficulties. He's not really a box to box player now and doesn't do much tracking back, so can best be used as an attacking midfielder. Good he's fought his way back from another career-threatening injury though.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Wallace can certainly be a handful at this level but I have serious reservations about his fitness. I’d be surprised if he returned and stayed fit for the rest of the season.