• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Contracts

Player
aldo
Mm has said we are aware of the situation but not ready to deal with it yet . Wow with a big chunk of the team out in the summer wouldn't you think the ones like cook and connor who you might get money for would be tied down. An scotti davies to
Crazy ..

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's not that crazy. I think we have this discussion every year. Until we know what division we'll be in next season it's difficult for the club and the players to commit. Put it this way, if we don't go up, that's another failure from the players and why would we want to keep all the same players who failed to take us up again? Plenty of time for contracts to be sorted.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
For the last two seasons, we have done some extension with key players before it ends, Norwood last season and Harris the one before. I’m not sure why we’re ‘not ready’ this time round. If we could get the ones AM names and Clarke secured now, it would be a good move.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm sure we've tried to tie up at least half a dozen key players but until we know where we are playing, we don't know what we can afford and the better players might do better elsewhere. We always lose some players at the end of the season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with Ian and bbtc. We will have contacted all the players we want to keep but we can't hold a gun to their head. No agent is going to agree a deal now when there could be a better one available elsewhere in the summer.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No agent is going to agree a deal now when there could be a better one available elsewhere in the summer.
But in the last two years Harris and Norwood’s agents would have done just that?

I didn’t see the interview where MM made the ‘not ready’ remark, so can’t be sure of the context. At face value one reading of the remark is that we might not have the same level of budget if we stay in the NL next season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am sure we are just as 'ready' as we were in the previous two seasons. If the budget falls next year - not unexpected if we fail to win promotion for a third time - so be it. We can't spend what we don't have.

Norwood and Harris were the exception, not the rule, in the last two seasons. What about the other 25 players ? As Ian hints above, if we fail to win promotion again, our better players who expected to play in the League with us (such as Norwood) might decide it is time to move on.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
There is no way (sadly) that Cook will stay unless we go up. If we don’t L2 clubs will be queuing up for him - including Wrexham if they went up.

Reactions: Ian