• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Contracts

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
With mention of Cole Stockton's contract running out on the match thread, time to start thinking ahead.to next season. A lot will depend on which league we are playing on of course.

Currently think the following players are contracted for next season;

Scott Davies
Jay Harris
Andy Cook
James Norwood
Connor Jennings
Darren Stephenson
Louis Almond
Ben Tollit
Andy Mangan
Adam Dawson
Jeff Hughes
James Wallace
Eddie Clarke

There may be one or two of these who don't see out their contracts with Rovers.

Of the remainder, I've divided them into 3 categories; definitely keep, unsure and release.

Definitely keep

Liam Ridehalgh
Michael Ihiekwe
Jake Kirby (subject to recovery from injury)
Lois Maynard
Adam Buxton
Cole Stockton
Mitch Duggan

Unsure

Lee Vaughan
Steve McNulty
Adam Mekki
Ritchie Sutton
Luke Pilling
Evan Gumbs
Daren Askew

Release

Steve Jennings
Iain Turner

I don't think aside from perhaps Kirby there is much of contention in the 'keep' category. Equally while arguments can be made as to why the two suggested 'release' players should be kept they seem to be blocking the progress of others and haven't contributed greatly to the team.

The 'unsure' category includes players who I'd be happy to keep at NL level but have my doubts at this stage of their careers that they'd cope higher up Vaughan, McNulty, Mekki. The last 3 are youngsters who may be better trying to develop their careers elsewhere, given Micky's reluctance to give younger players a chance.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Thanks for the summary, as I was not sure of the status of a number of players.

Personally, I think it would be very harsh to release McNulty and Vaughan. Steve has already played at a higher level with Luton and has been instrumental in our excellent defensive record this season. In recent matches he has been back to his best, and I would definitely offer him another year. Likewise, I think Lee Vaughan has been superb since we switched to the 352 formation and deserves to stay, even if we are in League Two.

I would also release Mekki, but it is more difficult to make a decision about Sutton. At National League level he would be worth keeping as defensive backup, but in League Two I am not so sure.

On the 'definitely keep' list, I am not sure we have seen enough of Duggan to be certain he is worth another deal.

Of those players already under contract, I would be looking to offload Almond, Stephenson, Dawson and possibly Mangan. Wallace still has major fitness issues, but has only recently signed a long-term deal.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
difficult to say for certain until we know what are we are in, think turner will probably stay as experienced back up and doubles as goalie coach

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Very thought provoking Boz and helpful to see the squad set out in this way.
I have not seen nearly as many matches as many of you but Irrespective of whether we are promoted or not, or if under existing contract I would release or agree a departure for:
Steve Jennings - as whilst being a good servant his time has come as he has looked short of legs for a couple of seasons.
Adam Mekki - lovely lad that tries hard but not progressed and just isn't good enough.
Lois Almond - has not fitted in, won't get any games and not good enough.
Adam Dawson - used to be impressed but seems unlikely he will blossom again now and if he can't even make the bench when we have been heavily depleted, no point keeping.
Stephenson - less sure about him but whilst he can be lively I don't think he is technically skilled enough and perhaps not sufficiently determined.

If we are promoted would probably let Richie Sutton go as he is perhaps not league standard and we would need room to strengthen the squad. Andy Mangan has been really disappointing but he does have ability above this level but depends if he can make a mark over the coming games. Big MC another year certainly.

The absolutely must keep at all costs on my list would be .
Cookie, Connor J, King Cole, Ihiekwe, Jay Harris, Rides,Tollit, & Scott D.

Louis Maynard happy to keep but not quite in the above category. Adam Buxton on the face of only seeing him yesterday looks an accomplished player who can augment the squad and would seem worthy of being retained. Have serious doubts about James Wallace ability to stay in one piece but truly hope he can after a good summer build up as he is a quality player but would need objective professional assessment.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I feel this squad as it stands could hold its own in League Two, especially when all are fully fit, so I'd like to see most players retained. Even if we stay in the NL, there is no case for a clearout. It's difficult for an armchair supporter like me to comment on individual players, but Steve Jennings would struggle to get into the current side and Adam Mekki rarely manages to last 90 minutes, so they may go. Richie Sutton has played well by most accounts and would be a good squad member. All the youngsters' contracts are up (except Eddie Clarke) but I haven't a clue who should or will be retained. Most have been out on loan and the others have hardly played, so I don't know how Micky can decide. I'm sure there's talent there, but for several reasons it's been wasted. As for the likes of Almond and Stephenson, whose deals expire in 2018, I'd keep them on, see how they perform in pre-season and if they fail to impress, I'd ship them out on loan.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Anybody know when we are likely to have any news? It's all gone very quiet and no contract extensions have been announced for months. I expect some offers have been made already, but I would not be surprised if the likes of Cole Stockton and Michael Ihiekwe are biding their time waiting to see if we go up and/or whether any better offers come in. In recent years, the news has come out in dribs and drabs. I expect to hear about the junior pros first, but some of the senior pros could leave it late to agree terms. No matter what, I expect most to be offered and to accept new terms. Whoever goes, Micky will have plenty of time to find better replacements during the close season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Last season Jay Harris was given a new deal before the season ended but we've already extended Norwood and given Clarke a pro deal. Think we can infer that some offers may have been made, but as BBTC suggests some may be biding their time.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm already putting this season to bed and am looking forward to next. Anybody know when we are likely to hear news on contracts? I assume we'll hear something next week.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I'm already putting this season to bed and am looking forward to next. Anybody know when we are likely to hear news on contracts? I assume we'll hear something next week.

i would think the players will be told in the next couple of days who are being released and who we will offer contracts too

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I've heard from a relative of kirby that he's been offered a deal. He was worried he would have been released given his injury but MM really rates him.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well at least somebody does !

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Kirby would have scored the one on one Norwood shot straight at their keeper.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree.

We got overrun in midfield yesterday, where FGR had pace and mobilty. We needed players like Kirby / Harris / Vaughan to counter them. I think Kirby would have done a good job defensively in a game like that.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

he hasn't got the pace to be ahead of the defender, if you would have said tollitt then I would agree, we badly missed tollitt and jay harris too

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
If I had gone to the Q&A I was going to ask at what point do we start thinking about new contracts.

Someone as important as cookie needs offering one ASAP in my view as his is up at the end of the season. Whether we go up or not, the last thing we want is him leaving for nothing (assuming no one comes in for him before the deadline). Arguably he should be our highest paid player on a new 2 year deal. Although whether mickey has done enough to dissuade him to stay remains to be seen.

The likes of Hughes etc I would leave until after xmas but whilst some would say it's early days, for someone like cook we should be trying to nail him down asap.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Cook is a difficult one to call. In his position, with Micky's team selections both last season and this indicating the manager is not fully convinced of his worth, it would take a lucrative deal to keep him with us. With the implied financial issues, unsure we could manage that and my main hope would be that we keep him past this window. In principle, trying to extend contracts early is a good idea though.

Player
Manager
John King
I think the only way we will keep cook beyond next season is by winning promotion. If we offered him an improved contract now, I doubt he would sign it.