Welcome to White Review!

Want to join in? Register today. It's free and only takes a minute.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contracts

Discussion in 'Players' started by Boz, 9 Apr 2017.

1. Boz

Boz

With mention of Cole Stockton's contract running out on the match thread, time to start thinking ahead.to next season. A lot will depend on which league we are playing on of course.

Currently think the following players are contracted for next season;

Scott Davies
    Jay Harris
    Andy Cook
    James Norwood
    Connor Jennings
    Darren Stephenson
    Louis Almond
    Ben Tollit
    Andy Mangan
    Adam Dawson
    Jeff Hughes
    James Wallace
    Eddie Clarke

There may be one or two of these who don't see out their contracts with Rovers.

Of the remainder, I've divided them into 3 categories; definitely keep, unsure and release.

Definitely keep

Liam Ridehalgh
    Michael Ihiekwe
    Jake Kirby (subject to recovery from injury)
    Lois Maynard
    Adam Buxton
    Cole Stockton
    Mitch Duggan

Unsure

Lee Vaughan
    Steve McNulty
    Adam Mekki
    Ritchie Sutton
    Luke Pilling
    Evan Gumbs
    Daren Askew

Release

Steve Jennings
    Iain Turner

I don't think aside from perhaps Kirby there is much of contention in the 'keep' category. Equally while arguments can be made as to why the two suggested 'release' players should be kept they seem to be blocking the progress of others and haven't contributed greatly to the team.

The 'unsure' category includes players who I'd be happy to keep at NL level but have my doubts at this stage of their careers that they'd cope higher up Vaughan, McNulty, Mekki. The last 3 are youngsters who may be better trying to develop their careers elsewhere, given Micky's reluctance to give younger players a chance.

2. Rockfords Love Child

Thanks for the summary, as I was not sure of the status of a number of players.

Personally, I think it would be very harsh to release McNulty and Vaughan. Steve has already played at a higher level with Luton and has been instrumental in our excellent defensive record this season. In recent matches he has been back to his best, and I would definitely offer him another year. Likewise, I think Lee Vaughan has been superb since we switched to the 352 formation and deserves to stay, even if we are in League Two.

I would also release Mekki, but it is more difficult to make a decision about Sutton. At National League level he would be worth keeping as defensive backup, but in League Two I am not so sure.

On the 'definitely keep' list, I am not sure we have seen enough of Duggan to be certain he is worth another deal.

Of those players already under contract, I would be looking to offload Almond, Stephenson, Dawson and possibly Mangan. Wallace still has major fitness issues, but has only recently signed a long-term deal.

3. bigmart

bigmart bigmart

difficult to say for certain until we know what are we are in, think turner will probably stay as experienced back up and doubles as goalie coach

4. Brightonian

Very thought provoking Boz and helpful to see the squad set out in this way.
    I have not seen nearly as many matches as many of you but Irrespective of whether we are promoted or not, or if under existing contract I would release or agree a departure for:
    Steve Jennings - as whilst being a good servant his time has come as he has looked short of legs for a couple of seasons.
    Adam Mekki - lovely lad that tries hard but not progressed and just isn't good enough.
    Lois Almond - has not fitted in, won't get any games and not good enough.
    Adam Dawson - used to be impressed but seems unlikely he will blossom again now and if he can't even make the bench when we have been heavily depleted, no point keeping.
    Stephenson - less sure about him but whilst he can be lively I don't think he is technically skilled enough and perhaps not sufficiently determined.

If we are promoted would probably let Richie Sutton go as he is perhaps not league standard and we would need room to strengthen the squad. Andy Mangan has been really disappointing but he does have ability above this level but depends if he can make a mark over the coming games. Big MC another year certainly.

The absolutely must keep at all costs on my list would be .
    Cookie, Connor J, King Cole, Ihiekwe, Jay Harris, Rides,Tollit, & Scott D.

Louis Maynard happy to keep but not quite in the above category. Adam Buxton on the face of only seeing him yesterday looks an accomplished player who can augment the squad and would seem worthy of being retained. Have serious doubts about James Wallace ability to stay in one piece but truly hope he can after a good summer build up as he is a quality player but would need objective professional assessment.

5. bring back the cowshed!

I feel this squad as it stands could hold its own in League Two, especially when all are fully fit, so I'd like to see most players retained. Even if we stay in the NL, there is no case for a clearout. It's difficult for an armchair supporter like me to comment on individual players, but Steve Jennings would struggle to get into the current side and Adam Mekki rarely manages to last 90 minutes, so they may go. Richie Sutton has played well by most accounts and would be a good squad member. All the youngsters' contracts are up (except Eddie Clarke) but I haven't a clue who should or will be retained. Most have been out on loan and the others have hardly played, so I don't know how Micky can decide. I'm sure there's talent there, but for several reasons it's been wasted. As for the likes of Almond and Stephenson, whose deals expire in 2018, I'd keep them on, see how they perform in pre-season and if they fail to impress, I'd ship them out on loan.

6. bring back the cowshed!

Anybody know when we are likely to have any news? It's all gone very quiet and no contract extensions have been announced for months. I expect some offers have been made already, but I would not be surprised if the likes of Cole Stockton and Michael Ihiekwe are biding their time waiting to see if we go up and/or whether any better offers come in. In recent years, the news has come out in dribs and drabs. I expect to hear about the junior pros first, but some of the senior pros could leave it late to agree terms. No matter what, I expect most to be offered and to accept new terms. Whoever goes, Micky will have plenty of time to find better replacements during the close season.

7. Boz

Boz

Last season Jay Harris was given a new deal before the season ended but we've already extended Norwood and given Clarke a pro deal. Think we can infer that some offers may have been made, but as BBTC suggests some may be biding their time.