• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Cole Stockton

drwhoman

There is an article on the BBC football website. Morecambe are under a transfer embargo due to financial problems and this may have something to do with his return. I imagine MM will think about loaning him out again given the current size of the squad but we will see!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The Morecambe forum suggests Mellon wants to run the rule over him before making a decision. In Cook's absence, I would not be surprised to see Stockton included in the squad for the next few games.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
He's the nearest thing we have to an Andy Cook replacement, so why not see if he can play for Micky? He may surprise us. If not, I'm sure there will be a few NL clubs after him.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I don't think Cole really uses his "physical presence" and I have never seen him dominate centre backs physically. I think he is only just NL level....unless he has improved.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agree with Higgy. I think he's better with the ball at his feet and has never been able to impose himself physically in games even for his size. We all know what Stockton brings to the table and is certainly no substitute for a physical presence up front.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I noted that Cole hadn't featured for the Shrimps and initially thought that either he was injured or had fallen out of favour, but it now appears their financial woes may be a factor in his absence.

Micky doesn't play the isolated lone striker formation, which Stockton is totally unsuited to. The Morecambe fans seem sorry that he'll be going and he's scored 5 for them this season, in the league above us. While my preference would be to give Stephenson another chance, mainly as he's contracted to us for another year, he got injured while on loan with Flyde so may also be unavalable. Cook isn't likely to return until late January and neither of our current strikers are on the top of their game, so it can't do any harm for Micky to take a look at him v South Park and take it from there.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with Boz. I think Cole is the kind of player who needs an 'arm round the shoulder': he certainly was not going to get that from Moore, Adams or Brabin, but did to an extent from Edwards when he played his best football for us. It seems that MM has good man-management skills, so it is at least worth Micky taking a look at him in training before making a judgement.

I agree that Stockton never imposed himself physically for us, but he must have at Morecambe to feature as often as he has. Cole certainly has the attributes to lead the line and is a completely different type of player to Mangan and Norwood, both of whom look to run in behind rather than coming short for the ball.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Maybe he'll come back with some confidence.

Player
Manager
John King
In his pre-match interview Micky has confirmed Cole is a big part of his plans. He said he watched him when he was at Shrewsbury and was very impressed, and is 'excited to be working with such a talented young player'. Apparently Stockton is injured at the moment and won't be available for a couple of weeks.

Regarding Andy Cook, Mellon described his injury as one of the most horrific he has seen. His finger was completely crushed and he risks losing it if he plays prematurely ! It sounds like he will be out for a few weeks yet.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Cole's future at Hearts will be interesting as their manager has just been sacked.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sacked after a couple of games! I was checking on Stocktons progress the other day and noticed he'd been sitting on the subs bench for most games. Think he scored one in a friendly a few weeks ago.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Cole was likely to be second choice against Kyle Lafferty. He's a player who needs sympathetic management to bring out his best. If his new boss can't deliver that, may be heading back south of the border.

drwhoman

Sadly Cole missed a last minute chance in a cup game recently that would have won the game. As we all know Hearts are a big club in Scotland and they were probably ill advised to appoint such a young inexperienced Manager. A shame for him as well.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
No place on the bench for Stockton today against Celtic.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
He'll likely be made up he wasn't after that result.
Though next game he may get a shout on basis that he can't be worse than today's squad.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Meanwhile Michael Ihiekwe has a losing start for Rotherham. Financially they'll both be better off, but have to wonder how much benefit to their careers their recent moves will have.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It may give MI a bit more exposure if he can hack it at a higher level. Don't blame him for getting out of this tinpot league.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Neither do I, Ian. Just feel that going to Rotherham, relegated last season and with a major rebuilding of their squad is quite a challenge

Player
aldo
see cole was getting a few 1 RATINGS on saturday words like lazy not interested .gone missing. he not doing to good there