• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Club records

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I am reasonably confident we can win the league next season, even if we do miss out this time.
I'd agree we'd be one of the favourites, but it's never that predictable. Few were expecting Lincoln to do so well this time round for example.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I'd agree we'd be one of the favourites, but it's never that predictable. Few were expecting Lincoln to do so well this time round for example.

I know, I just think there are a fewer obvious contenders next season and the clubs coming down from League Two are in a mess.

In addition to FGR, I think Dagenham, Aldershot and Barrow would be our main rivals, largely because of their managers.

Player
Manager
John King
If you consider budget, squad depth and the quality of the manager I think we score more highly than any of the clubs I have just mentioned.

However, probably best leaving this debate until we know what division we are in.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
While we perhaps should have got rid of GB sooner, MM wouldn't have been available, so unless we'd got the Cowleys last summer, I don't think we'd have done any better than we have. We've been very unlucky to be up against possibly the best NL team ever, but the real killer blow has been all the serious injuries to some of our best players, particularly midfielders. Short of Dale Vince bribing the Cowleys to join FGR, we must have a really good shout next season as long as the Palioses stay at the helm.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think the Cowleys will stay at Lincoln and the Palioi have shown no signs of leaving Rovers. However the situation with potential promotion rivals is fluid, Lincoln went from mid-table to champions with a decent manager and some investment on the playing staff. Of the promoted sides Fylde and Maidenhead are both well-backed financially, so are play-off contenders Salford and Ebbsfleet. I would think they are more likely to be a threat next season than the relegated teams.

Player
Manager
John King
I think the Cowleys will stay at Lincoln and the Palioi have shown no signs of leaving Rovers. However the situation with potential promotion rivals is fluid, Lincoln went from mid-table to champions with a decent manager and some investment on the playing staff. Of the promoted sides Fylde and Maidenhead are both well-backed financially, so are play-off contenders Salford and Ebbsfleet. I would think they are more likely to be a threat next season than the relegated teams.

While the clubs you mention are bankrolled and will be contenders, I think it is unlikely that a team will come from the leagues below and actually finish as champions. From what I have read there is quite a gulf between the levels, and I don't think a team has ever had back-to-back promotions to the Football League. However, as you mention, a mid table club like Wrexham could finally get their act together and mount a surprise challenge.

It is hyperbole to describe Lincoln as 'the best NL team ever'. Several clubs have achieved 100 plus points in recent years, including tonight's opponents under their current manager, Mellon at Fleetwood and Luton with Big Mac as captain. While Cowley is a good manager, the performances of Still and Waddock down the years at this level are arguably more impressive.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It is hyperbole to describe Lincoln as 'the best NL team ever'. Several clubs have achieved 100 plus points in recent years, including tonight's opponents under their current manager, Mellon at Fleetwood and Luton with Big Mac as captain. While Cowley is a good manager, the performances of Still and Waddock down the years at this level are arguably more impressive.
I don't think it's hyperbole to argue Lincoln's case - at least based on one season's results. They won the league, nearly got to the Trophy final and achieved what no other NL side has even done before in getting to the FA Cup quarter finals.

Player
Manager
John King
I think if you look at league performance and the resources at their disposal, other clubs have performed better. In terms of cup performance, Luton got to the fifth round of the cup in addition to earning 105 points.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't actually think Lincoln are exceptionally good, only a couple of players they have are better than ours. However as a team, they are much better than the sum of their individual components.

While agreeing the history of promoted sides hasn't been great, at some point one will put in a serious challenge. There aren't any obvious Lincoln equivalents, Wrexham are currently fan-owned, so would need a takeover to compete.