• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Chester v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We've sold out our allocation so the atmosphere should be cracking. After negotiations with the wife I'm missing the game but have had permission to leave holiday early to be back for Gateshead on Tuesday night!

Recent results have seen us slip to 6th but we have 2 games in hand on most teams around us. Defeat for Chester may not relegate them mathematically depending on other results but they are doomed anyway. The recent decision to let Bignot go at the end of the season could impact on team choice but they lost again midweek in the Cheshire derby at Macc.

Our last 2 trips have seen wins. The dramatic 3-2 win last season which had me jumping round the living room and the year before which I attended when a solitary Norwood spot kick was the difference.

Micky may be tempted to tinker with things given it is highly likely we'll pick up the 3 points. Would be nice for Clarke to get some action and Tollit to have another start. Traore may be knocking at the door too. Could Wallace feature?

Other interesting fixtures on Saturday are Fylde v Sutton & Eastleigh v Wrexham. Macc travel to Ebbsfleet but lets forget about them.

Prediction: a comfortable rovers win.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
This is a game we need to win comfortably and I think we will 3 0

Player
aldo
chester are imploding off the pitch . and cant bye a win on it . . the board have quit . the chairman has quit . there manager is leaving there leading scorer has joined southport on loan . there guy they got in to help the manager has quit .. the fans are up in arms. we have to realy go for it from the start and be ruthless . if the boot was on the other foot they would be loving it . i dont wont to see them relegated . i dont wont to see then in financial difficulties . . have loved are games and loved the the banter . but we have to do the bussines and put them to bed 3-0 or a 6-0 hammering play are best side and go all out attack we need to win . i cant be there witch im gutted but my little monkey has to come first so im a radio rover this weekend lets smash it

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think our only danger in this game is complacency, so I would not mess around with the starting eleven at all. We should play our strongest team and worry about changes if / when players show signs of fatigue. If we get six points from the next two matches, it will take a lot of pressure off the pair of very difficult games that follow.

The centre of midfield is the one area where there is a decision to be made. Do we need Harris or Traore in a derby match, as the pairing of Norburn and Hughes is a bit lightweight out of possession ? I would like to see Eddie Clarke back in the side but I don't think it will happen.

I bought one of our tickets at 11.58pm last night, approximately five minutes before we sold out. 1,800 tickets were shipped without reaching general sale, so it would be interesting to know just how many we could have sold.

Prediction: Rovers victory by a few goals.

Last edited:

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
My dad went over this morning at 9 o' clock to be greeted by a sign that all tickets had been sold. So, RLC, your answer is "at least 1802"!

Player
aldo
there capacity is supposed to be 5500 . so we get 1800 supposed to be 2 sides os there ground there safety people and the police are to blame chester need all the money they can get . looking at the deva chat they have sold 200 and around 900 season tickets . we should out number them

Player
Manager
John King
Logistically, it would probably be difficult to segregate if we were given any more tickets. In addition, the Chester season ticket holders would not be happy at being messed around any more, however desperate for the cash they are. We should be happy we have got half the ground really.

Player
aldo
you know away fans are gonna get home tickets i would if i could but i need a little family time i have an opp on 25 th an will nackerd for abt 12 to 16 weeks not looking forward to it and my familly have to come first . love my footie and my rovers but have to do it . lets just hope we get up .

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Absolutely play our strongest team, jeez they're rusty enough let alone the subs!! Whilst we might be lucky to scrape a 1-0, let's imagine we're a few goals up.... might be able to introduce Wallace for some game time as he could be so influential for the run in....

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
RLC is right that the biggest danger in this game is complacency. We couldn't score, let alone beat them at home and our recent visits to the Deva have seen wins by the odd goal. I think it's likely that we'll win, particularly with the additional away ticket allowance, because of the difficult situation the hosts are in, as AM mentions, but it's not something where we can just turn up and expect the points. We've dropped them at other strugglers like Torquay, Guiseley and Barrow, though the first couple were early in the seaon.

I think in terms of team selection, would look at bringing Harris in probably at the expense of Hughes. Would hope for an attacking bench, so if the starting xi aren't doing it, there are options to try and change things.

drwhoman

You would think we should win and it will be an indictment of all concerned if we fail to do so. I see Neil Young has bailed out after only three weeks back with Chester. They are in such a mess unfortunately. Surely team morale will be at rock bottom.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What a mess they are in! Lets go there and get the job done. I actually thought they were OK when we played them at home but we certainly need to be more ruthless at the Deva. 2-0 and we go home happy.

Player
aldo
if we do mess up it will be criminal . just need to focus and be ruthless . lets hammer them ...... its gonna rain if the forecast is right so looking forward to it with no footie last weekend . at least the boys will be fresh ........ looking at the deva chat the blues have sold 200 tickets . still barmy we could send them down as well if other results go against them

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
As usual, not many clues in MMs pre-match comments. Eddie Clarke still 'struggling' (injury/illness? Micky doesn't say) and Jack Dunn is out again. Otherwise a full set to chose from.

Player
Manager
John King
Unless Matt Jones is interviewing (he is on holiday at the moment) or one of the Wirral Radio guys, he does not get asked very interesting questions to be honest. The stock reporters do not know enough about the club and are far too generic in their questioning.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
It's a banker on everyone's coupon.
But it's still a derby and whilst we've won there last two seasons, equally they've frustrated us for our home games.
They were hardly thrashed at Maccs on Monday. Hopefully the team won't expect them to lie down easily.
I'll take the three points however they come.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Don’t want to be negative but surely there is a chance the game will be off?

Heavy rain due all morning

Player
Manager
John King
No pitch inspection planned, but the ref will look at the surface at 12.15. If it is postponed, I am not sure where we fit in the rearranged game.