• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Cheltenham v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In a 532 it is difficult for the left sided midfielder to protect the wing back (think it was Perkins) as he is playing narrow. In that system the left back is going to find himself one-on-one at times and he just has to stand up defensively on those occasions.

However, I don't want to be too harsh on Ridehalgh. It is just something to think about in the future.

Player
aldo
great result realy glad miller got off the mark can only help him good to see nors get one and banks to well done lads

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Great all round performance particularly in the 2nd half. Good to see the new boys off to a fine start particularly Miller, but MOM for me was Ollie Banks back to his best and a great goal to boot.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Great result. Good to see Miller proving a handful and took his goal well. On the front foot ready for the rebound. Early days, but good partnership in the making. Fitting Jennings back in may prove a headache for Mickey.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ridehalgh isn't the best defender. He's in a similar mold to Caprice in that he is much more comfortable on the attack than he is defending.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks for the report, RLC. I only saw the Cheltenham goal on Quest, but it did look offside. No matter now.

Re Eddie Clarke, he's just the latest in a number of ex-Rovers players who have struggled after moving from PP. He moved too soon and to the wrong club. But if we have the money to bring him back on loan, we'd have two great attacking full-back. However, I expect the playing budget will be blown by Nors' new contract.

Player
Manager
John King
Ridehalgh isn't the best defender. He's in a similar mold to Caprice in that he is much more comfortable on the attack than he is defending.
I agree, but I think Caprice offers more going forward, so you can forgive his defensive frailties at times.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Wow that was a tale of 2 halves - we were pretty poor in the first half even though we arguably did not deserve to go in 1 down but so much better in the second half. MM talked in his interview about changing the shape in midfield so we could play 10 yards further up the pitch and we got it spot on in the second half. I know I have been critical of the team recently during our poor run but that was because as we showed earlier in the season and again second half yesterday we can do so so much better. I do hope the dropped points against Notts County etc. do not cost us automatic promotion at season end...
Miller I thought was excellent on debut showing desire and looking to play off Nors and even tho he missed a couple of chances looked a class signing and will I think do very well at this level. Perkins grew into the game, was not flashy but despite his age there is no doubt he still has the energy levels even if not the outright speed. As he and Ollie get to know each other better I think we will really flourish in midfield - in fact with Ollie back it just shows how much we missed him and he seemed to have cut out most of his showboating flicks that too often just before his injury did not go to a Tranmere player.
Agree about Rides - he had a pretty torrid time of it and just isn't quick enough. Steve's lack of pace is IMO really starting to show him up now as he has to sit too far off the player for fear of being roasted if he goes tight. Ellis by contrast had another great game I felt and Manny did well. Caprice is Caprice - poor defensively but as has been said above his speed and presence in attack arguably justifies his inclusion. Finally it was noticeable already how Davies distribution has improved since the new GK coach arrived. Why it took a new man in to change what should have been obvious is beyond me but all of a sudden he is looking for the early ball. Long may it continue.
In summary the second half was really really good and playing like that we will make at least the playoffs and stand a chance of an automatic place.
Final thought, despite the result their captain Tozer looked very assured at the back and a very good player at this level.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree about Davies's distribution. A few of us have questioned exactly what Nixon was doing with the keepers. I personally thought McNulty was fine however.

Player
ian goodison
thanks for the report ADD are we playing 3-5-2/5-3-2 because as a back 4 we can,t defend or is it because MM won,t or is reluctant to leave steve out? not being controversial but to me he seems to be struggling at the minute

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think the formation has anything to do with McNulty. We had to shore things up away from home because we were conceding goals irrespective of the personnel. Our worst defensive performance was in the second half at Grimsby when McNulty was off the pitch injured. That formation also gives us more control in the middle of the pitch, particularly now Banks is back and Perkins has arrived.

Player
Manager
John King
The major problem we have had defensively away from home in recent months has been in the full back areas, not at centre back.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not sure why but there seems to be a trend at the moment with some supporters and it includes singling out McNulty with people saying he's too slow and will need replacing soon. Maybe now Stockton has gone, they've got to find someone else to pick on. :rolleyes:

Also, I really hope the Norwood/Miller duo flourishes because Norwood was excellent yesterday and having someone like Miller with a bit more quality could really make a difference in the second half of the season.

Player
ian goodison
I,ll be honest IAN and say my hearts in my mouth everytime someone runs at steve with the ball, given his age I would have kept Ritchie and put steve on loan I just think we set up at the moment with a view to protect him

Player
Manager
John King
Not sure why but there seems to be a trend at the moment with some supporters and it includes singling out McNulty with people saying he's too slow and will need replacing soon. Maybe now Stockton has gone, they've got to find someone else to pick on. :rolleyes:
Yes, that is exactly what I thought. I think McNulty has been fine this season. He is still one of the first names on the teamsheet for me, and Micky I would guess.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Some talk of Ash Taylor returning, don't know if there's any truth in it.

Going forward, we do need to be able to identify someone who can take on McNulty's organisational role, for when Steve is unavailable. Neither Ellis nor Monthe can marshall a defence in the same way.

Player
Manager
John King
I would be happy with the Taylor signing on purely footballing terms, as I always rated him as a defender. However, knowing the likely reaction of a section of our fanbase, I am not sure it would be a good idea.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think this twitter post sums up our progress and shows we are heading in the right direction.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Good point Ian. We all need to remember this when things don’t go our way sometimes.

As for Ash Taylor, I’m not certain about it. Despite Sutton leaving I think a new centre half isn’t a priority. Unless there are suggestions Big Mac is getting a bit long in the tooth but I know Steve plans on playing for a long time yet. People say he’s lost his pace but he’s never had any!