• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Cheltenham v Rovers

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think this twitter post sums up our progress and shows we are heading in the right direction.

After 27 games this season we have 42 points. At this stage last season, we were on 43 points - and ended up second. More food for thought.

Player
aldo
yes it was after xmas last season we went on the mad run who knows . lets enjoy the ride its gonna be fun

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I don't know how Ash Taylor is playing at the moment. He did well for a while in Scotland, then got released and ended up in League Two. He has been a regular with Northampton Town this season.

To be honest, I'm a bit confused about the club's transfer policy. Is it to get out of League Two this season or to build a team capable of holding its own in League One? Ideally, we should be doing both, although I accept it's not easy. Perkins and Miller will strengthen our promotion chances, but how much would they feature next season in League One? On the other hand, Gilmour is definitely one for the future and may end up playing more games in League One next season than in our current promotion push. Taylor has experience and is young enough, but is he good enough for League One? If so, I'd like to see him back.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I was never a big fan of Ash Taylor.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
To be honest, I'm a bit confused about the club's transfer policy. Is it to get out of League Two this season or to build a team capable of holding its own in League One?
It is both of these things going by recent interviews with Mellon and Palios. Banks, Miller, McCullough and Perkins have all got pedigree at higher levels and would be capable of playing in League One, provided they have still got the legs by the time we get there. I would imagine that established players like Norwood and Jennings could also play comfortably at that level.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I was never a big fan of Ash Taylor.
Anything in particular that you didn’t like, Ian?

My memory is of a decent central defender, who could be quite vocal, though as he mainly played alongside Goody, didn’t usually have to organise the defence. Seemed to be a target of the boo-boys. His departure for Aberdeen meant we got nothing, but he did quite well there and it may have been his choice to return to England. Don’t know much about his time at Northampton.

We don’t have the resources to buy our way up the league, so seem to be bringing in players of a decent pedigree capable of playing in L1. The signing of Gilmour suggests we are still signing players to develop and potentially move on.

Player
ian goodison
stand to be corrected but I think he left Aberdeen as he was offered a 3yr contract with Northampton, anyway my better half lives close to his auntie, any news will be shared here

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Saw him in our game there earlier in the season and he didn't impress me at all. I don't think he is the sort of player we should be looking at. There are dozens of Ash Taylor's at this level, all do 'a job' but wouldn't displace Steve in my opinion.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Anything in particular that you didn’t like, Ian?
He just never stood out. Distribution was poor, average defending, liked a hoof. As Charlton says above, he could do a job but I don't think he would improve the team at all.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think his defending was better than average when he was here, hence he got a move to Aberdeen. He was not helped by being played out of position in midfield by Les Parry, a role he did not have the technical ability to play. I think he was a good player but I would not necessarily want him back.

Player
ian goodison
thought ash was average here to be honest whether he,s improved enough after playing at Aberdeen & northants I,m not sure as Charlton says plenty of his ability out there