• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Cheltenham v Rovers

drwhoman

The City players are as bad of the fans. The left back, z something or other, the guy who gave the opposition a soft goal the other week, was bemoaning the fact that they did not get 10! No respect for honest journeymen. I saw a few minutes on the TV, before I gave up in disgust , and they were saying that Lucas Akins was Burton’s best player. He has been there a while now.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It said on the radio last night that Liverpool and West Ham had scored 10 in this competition in the 80s, so they didn’t stop at 9. Personally think it would have been more disrespectful to Burton by show-boating rather than going for the tenth. Was glad that Spurs kept going rather than ease off against us, even if the ref took pity by only adding a minute extra time.

Lucas Akins got a lot of undeserved flak when he played for Rovers, worked hard and plenty of pace, but let down by his finishing. One of Les Parry’s best signings imo. Sometimes plays as full-back/wing-back now, unsure how he was deployed last night.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Akins played a lot of games at Championship level and proved himself to be a good player. Liverpool beat Fulham 10-1 in a League Cup tie in about 1986 I think, while City beat Huddersfield by the same score in a Second Division game in 1988-89.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I never rated Akins at all. Fair play to him though, he’s had a decent run higher up.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Back to the topic in hand Cheltenham - this is a really really important game for us. Our away form needs to improve and improve quickly if this season which started so positively is not to fizzle out. The boys were given a real physical examination against Spurs with all their chasing around but they will have had 8 days to recuperate so there should be no excuses for being tired or lacklustre this weekend.
PersonalIy, I am not convinced by 5 3 2 away from home being the panacea so I would be tempted to revert to a 4 4 2 especially if Miller is match fit or close to it. If he is, I would start with him up front with Nors . Perkins will surely come in and I assume Banks is now fit enough to start so it will be great to have the 2 of them getting to know each other's game with McCullough and Conor in midfield. Given all this, my optimism is at fever pitch and I am going for a 1 -3 away win with Miller scoring on his debut and Perkins and Banks sharing the MOM award !!

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
So you want a 4-4-2 with the midfield being McCullough, Banks, Perkins & Jennings?

No width there if i'm being honest and more chance of seeing 3 in the middle to try dictate the game.

Player
aldo
jennings is the width . he mostley playson the wing . would be better with him behind a front two . dont for get caprice will bomb forward and can put a good ball in

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As I understand it Perkins is a centre mid and won’t be on the wing. Don’t forget that banks before his injury wasn’t in great form so it’s good competition in that central attacking midfield role.

We’re still short of a winger

Player
Manager
John King
We have looked much more solid away from home playing 532, so I would be surprised if we deviated from that system. I would also be surprised if Jennings was moved out wide again, given how good he has been in the middle recently.

I still maintain that Mellon has recruited well this season. Not every signing will work out for any manager, but the great majority of the players we have brought in have offered something positive.

I understand that the McEveley signing was the result of the Wirral Live fiasco. We were due to bring in a better defender - from Portsmouth if I remember - but when we incurred losses on the concert, the signing was pulled and we went for McEveley as a bargain basement alternative.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We have looked much more solid away from home playing 532, so I would be surprised if we deviated from that system
This may be the case but we are not getting the results. I would go with something a little more attack minded and give Norwood more support.

Player
Manager
John King
This may be the case but we are not getting the results. I would go with something a little more attack minded and give Norwood more support.
We drew at Macclesfield and played well at Bury, so I would say performances and results were better than in the five previous away games, all of which we lost, some by big margins.

There is a danger we will start conceding again if we switch to four at the back.

Banks and Perkins should add to the creativity if we do play 532.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
There's a good chance I'll make it down to Cheltenham tomorrow, it being only an hour or so from home for me. I was at our last meeting and remember the Mangan winner in injury time very fondly :)

Hoping we can turn a bit of a corner in terms of our away form. My last match was the home win against Exeter where I thought we were superb, our away form since has been a little worrying. I just hope the new players settle in quickly, I'm largely positive about the signings but conscious that we may take some time to gel, have the new players been in training this week and do we know whether Cheltenham have any new resources on their books likely to play?

On the giant-killing debate, yes the gulf is bigger now but I think comparing the values of teams is a bit of a red herring that gives a slightly false impression of the gap between the PL and the FL. The big clubs spend those ridiculous amounts simply because they have the TV money languishing in their accounts, for every big name signing they make they are selling players for similar amounts, it's all largely 'wooden dollars' IMHO. That being said, what's clear is that the PL is now creaming off the best players in the world, whereas 20-30 years ago they simply had the best players in the country. How many internationals started for Spurs?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
....do we know whether Cheltenham have any new resources on their books likely to play?
They have signed two new players on loan, a left-sided Bristol City youngster and one of their former forwards. They have also signed Tyrone Barnett, a striker who had been on loan. So, not much improvement. However, they have just lost a key midfielder to long-term injury. This may not be a bad time to play them.

Player
Manager
John King
Cheltenham are actually in decent form, and have improved a lot since Michael Duff was appointed. They drew with League One Oxford in midweek and convincingly beat MK Dons a couple of weeks ago. I don't think they will be any pushovers.

Player
Manager
John King
Jennings injured, replaced by Miller. 532 with Banks, Perkins and McCullough in midfield.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Strong team. Come on Rovers!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Perkins presumably match fit then. Jennings work-rate will be missed, would have preferred Mullin to Miller for this game. Gilmour unlucky to miss out after being one of our better performers last Friday.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I think this makes sense Boz especially given Jennings injury. Yes true re Gilmour but Banks Perkins and Mc Cullough must be the starting 3 for sure or else why bring in Perkins

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
ADD, agree that if the manager was satisfied Perkins match-fit, he would start. Sometimes you’d like to be able to select 12 starters ;)!