• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Carlisle v Rovers

Carlisle v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Brunton Park
Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Rovers next trip is to take on The Cumbrians at Brunton Park. Carlisle have been improving this season after a rather sluggish start losing two and drawing one from their first three games.

They did however turn a corner after their excellent away win against Cheltenham with Richie Bennett getting the only goal of the game.
Their form has been excellent since, winning five of their last six games.

Carlisle will be coming off the back of a 2-1 victory against Cambridge and will want to continue their good form on home soil.
Rovers will of course be looking to crash the party. Will MM stick with the same XI that struggled at times against Colchester?

Last edited:

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
In answer to the last question - I regret not. I honestly don't think Cole Stockton is up to it. Don't expect him to be prolific, but he doesn't bully the opposition, provide too many chances for Nors or hold the ball up that well. In essence I don't think Norwood would miss him - so maybe best to play a more flexible system. Credit where it is due he does try his best, but maybe best as a squad player.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
I know it looks like we’re over reliant on Nors’ goals but is that because MM has found a system that works with Stockton? If we did ever revert to a 532 is DMH best suited to this as per last season? With Zoum on the left & then move Connor square alongside Tolls/Larnell/Smith behind the Lord?

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I can understand MM thinking he has found a system that works. I suppose the question is - how effectively does it work? I suppose it is good enough to keep us up and possibly with a degree of comfort. I don't think the opposition centre backs have to go looking for Stockton - so you need to be able to stand up to them and hold the ball up better. If not we are going to have to work hard to get it back and rely on something happening through Nors to get a goal. With the players listed Mungy, I think there is enough quality to try and mix it up a bit - as you suggest 5-3-2. Or 3-5-1-1 Davies, McCullouch, Macnulty, Monthe, Caprice, Banks, Harris, Jennings, Zoum, - Larnell - Lord

News that we have signed Ryan William on loan may influence Mickey's outlook for formation and selection.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don’t think Ryan Williams is a loan, but a free agent. Can only presume the short term deal is the player’s wishes or that MM is looking to loan out Ben Tollitt for a spell.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think we will struggle in this game and lose 2 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
On paper this is our toughest game so far, with Carlisle riding high and unbeaten at home. They were tipped to struggle by many people in pre-season and their squad does not look that great, although names like Anthony Gerrard and Kelvin Etuhu stand out. Ex-Rover Mike Jones is also at Brunton Park, although I don't think he has been starting recently.

I expect Micky will go with the same formation and starting eleven as last week. Despite the repeated calls for Stockton to be dropped, I thought it was noticeable against Colchester that we could not hold the ball up front when Cole was substituted and I don't think Mullin is a natural foil for Norwood. From MM's interview it does not sound like Williams will make the bench.

Prediction: score draw or narrow defeat, with 6-700 SWA in attendance.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Carlisle fans themselves were very downbeat about their prospects pre-season, but have started the season well and this will be a challenging game.

Arguably Banks and McNulty were the most below par v Colchester, but as our best players to date, you could hardly drop them. I agree that we're likely to start unchanged. Perhaps Stockton could follow up a much improved showing last week, with a goal against a former club, where he didn't fare well. Mullin and Norwood can function together effectively as the Port Vale game showed, but don't think Paul did himself any favours during his twenty minutes on the pitch last Saturday.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm unsure about starting Mullin and Norwood together. I know it's not been tested much but they just seem too similar. I think with Stockton it's a case of 'better the devil you know' because for all his faults, he is the only player up front who will hold up the ball and link others into play. I have this image of Mullin and Norwood constantly chasing balls with no-one up there effectively holding up the ball. This is where we miss Cook badly. he could hold up the ball and score a fair few too!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm unsure about starting Mullin and Norwood together. I know it's not been tested much but they just seem too similar. I think with Stockton it's a case of 'better the devil you know' because for all his faults, he is the only player up front who will hold up the ball and link others into play. I have this image of Mullin and Norwood constantly chasing balls with no-one up there effectively holding up the ball. This is where we miss Cook badly. he could hold up the ball and score a fair few too!
While I think Norwood + Stockton is the best attacking combination we've got, haven't seen much evidence of Mullin and Norwood getting in each other's way in their limited time together on the pitch. Norwood created a chance for Jennings on Saturday and as someone who's played as a lone striker, is able to hold the ball up. Agree a target-man forward would give the attack an added dimension.

Player
aldo
Realy hope cole can get going . But he is to light weight and dont look like he will score .i want nothing more than him to score bag loads . But just dont see it . And not seen enough of mullin to quote on him. Some one has to help noors and score more goals think it will be a tight 1-0 win . 6-700 S.W.A in town

Player
aldo
Are initial 500 tickets sold out so with pay on the day gonna be another magnificent turnout . Now we need a good performance and a win

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
While I think Norwood + Stockton is the best attacking combination we've got, haven't seen much evidence of Mullin and Norwood getting in each other's way in their limited time together on the pitch. Norwood created a chance for Jennings on Saturday and as someone who's played as a lone striker, is able to hold the ball up. Agree a target-man forward would give the attack an added dimension.
Holding the ball up is hardly Norwood's strength though. He is always looking to run in behind and his natural game is the complete opposite of Stockton's, which is why they complement each other.

I think there is a difference between making an impact as a front pairing late in a game when you are pushing for a victory (Port Vale) and maintaining a pattern of play over ninety-odd minutes. I agree with Ian that if Nors and Mullin play together, I don't see who is going to come short for the ball.

All of that said, I would not mind seeing them given a go at some point !

Last edited:
Player
aldo
If i was mullin i would be working as hard as i could and would be proving a point to the manager that i want to play . We pAid money and we dont have lots of that so he has to get a chance!!!!!!!!!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If by January, Norwood hasn't signed a new deal, the club will need to make a decision on selling or risking his contract running down. This means Mullin will need to get sufficient game time to make an assessment of whether he can fill the gap, link up with Stockton etc. I've seen so little of Paul in action that not enough to form an opinion. Always felt that in our NL days we should have tried Cook with Stockton, who, despite being similar stature, had totally different playing styles. I think Mullin and Norwood are probably a closer match in their approach.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not sure about playing Cook and Stockton together Boz. Would have been the slowest front two in the division!

We already have the heaviest back 2 in the division when Big Mac and Monthe are a pair!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It will be interesting to see how DMH plays from the start.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Can only assume Smith’s lack of stamina has seen DMH get the nod ahead of him. Feel Gilmour a little lightweight and would rather Harris on the bench tbh.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
If by January, Norwood hasn't signed a new deal, the club will need to make a decision on selling or risking his contract running down.
For the sake of the club it would have to be sell and lump the money straightaway on a replacement. Which brings us back to Rowe!!
Am I missing something or do we never hear of "release clauses" at our level?
Get him signed up and if someone wants to offer decent money he can listen to them and we can give him a nice slice of the pie if he wants to go?
Back to the game, only following on Twitter but it looks like we're riding our luck?