• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Cards v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Dagenham defended in depth on Saturday so it was always going to be hard to break them down. The pace in their side enabled them to develop attacks quickly. By contrast our attacking moves were ponderous. Micky ought to be paying more attention to the failings in the middle third, which were evident at the weekend.

If it were a choice between Harris and Maynard, I'd opt for Lois in this game, as Woking are a tall side and likely to build up attacks from the air. From the PP game, they also appear to have some pace in their side. With Harris, it's a surprise that he's been frozen out after playing well last month, but his star is on the wane with the manager if Ian Black is arriving as rumour suggests.

I would like to see Connor Jennings on the bench too, a player whose opportunities have been surprisingly limited after recovering from injury, given the positive remarks made about him by Micky.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Maynard for Jennings, Tollit for Kirby and Norwood for Mangan.

Disappointing bench, no Connor Jennings

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ok, well that's a bit more positive. Come on lads!!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Half time. Woking seem to have had most of the chances, but at least we haven't conceded. I was a bit concerned after the traffic problems and the extra exercise the team had having to walk the last mile to the ground!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Open game with some decent football played by both sides. Few clear cut chances but norwood had the best which he should have scored. Could go either way, one goal will probably settle it.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks RLC.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ohh hell yes. Tollitt is running riot!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Great win, Tollit sounded on fire. Injury for James Wallace though

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Jack Dunn to be announced in next few mins on loan..

Superb win. Gives me more hope.

Player
Manager
John King
Superb second half from rovers, best we have played in ages. Tollitt and cook were immense. Wallace also good and had an assist for the first goal. Opener was a great team goal, tollitts two were as good as you will ever see.

M

Mal

Firstly, the radio commentators said they were playing 442? Secondly, what we need to do is drop the team off at Hamilton Square on Saturday so they have to trot up to Prenton Park, arriving with 20 mins to go.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I assumed they arranged for a taxi to take Big Mac and Wallace to the ground whist the rest of the squad walked ?!

Player
Manager
John King
We started with a diamond and switched to 433 in the second half, moving tollitt out wide.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just watched MMs post match interview. Sounds like we changed shape 2nd half to shut down their right back who was causing us problems 1st half.

Wallace wasn't injured but came off for a rest, Same with Cook on a heavy pitch. Ironically MM then mentions its great we can bring on someone like Jay Harris - but then that after signing Dunn we're probably bringing in one more which I assume is Black.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good to hear that Wallace not injured. Interesting that things improved when we ditched the diamond, though the Wirral radio ascribed the improvement in part down to the better quality of the part of the pitch we were attacking second half.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Great goals from Tollitt and nice to see Wallace in an advanced position for the 1st.

Player
Manager
John King
A very enjoyable evening watching Rovers, one of the best since we have been at this level.

I thought our first half performance last night was actually ok. Possession was fairly evenly shared between the two teams and some of our football in attacking areas was decent. However, Woking seemed to have an extra sharpness and confidence, reflecting recent results, and the diamond formation caused us problems once again. Despite a lot of probing we did not create many clear openings, our build up was too pedestrian and the quality of deliveries into the box from the full backs was poor. In addition, playing so narrow allowed Woking to double-up on us in the wide areas as Dagenham did at the weekend, and the back four did not look comfortable. McNulty struggled initially with Ugwu, but I think that was largely a result of us getting outnumbered in wide areas and the centre backs being dragged out of position. All of that said, Woking huffed and puffed in the first period, forcing a succession of corners and whipping balls into the box without forcing Davies to make a real save.

At half time Micky made a tactical change, switching to 433 and moving Tollitt wide and the quality of our football improved immediately. In addition to the tactical switch the players had clearly had a rocket during the interval and form the kick off we began to create chances. As you will have seen, all three goals were excellent and I was particularly pleased that Wallace was involved in the opener. Once the second goal went in we were in complete command, playing good football and looking in total control defensively for the remainder of the match.

Individually, I thought Ihiekwe and Scott Davies both did well when we were under the cosh in the first period, the latter's handling and awareness coming off his line being very good. However, the second half transformation was largely down to the performances of Tollitt and Andy Cook, who led the line and linked the play superbly. Cook made the finish for the first goal look easy when a lot of strikers would have fluffed the chance, and he is such a vital player for us with his ability to knit things together in attacking areas and provide a focal point for the team. I think his return to full match fitness was a big factor in last night's victory.

Tactically, it was clear to me that the diamond formation was ineffective once again and I would be tempted to switch to 433 permanently now. I think it is a good system for us as it allows Tollitt to play wide, without having to accommodate a more limited player like Kirby or Mekki on the other side. Equally, it allows us to play three in midfield and get the controlled possession Micky likes, while also giving greater protection defensively in the full back areas. In many ways last night's match reminded me of the Dover game where we started poorly playing in a diamond, before switching to 433 and unleashing Tollitt with devastating effect. The second half yesterday was certainly more enjoyable to watch than endless tippy-tappy stuff in the middle third of the pitch. Certainly food for thought for MM.

A great night at an unsegregated Kingfield, with about 150-200 happy SWA in attendance.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks RLC. I would certainly be tempted to switch to 433 as like you say, we have the players for it. To score three in 45 minutes says a lot when we've been struggling to score at all recently.

Was Wallace deployed further forward in the 2nd half?

Player
Manager
John King
No, not really but he was influential all game with his passing. Still struggling to get round the pitch though, so hopefully he will lose some timber in the next few weeks.