• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Can we make the play-offs?

Can TRFC make the play-offs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
After the disappinting result against Oldham, Tranmere slip down to 8th and out of the play-offs.

But can they do enough to turn this recent form around?

Player
Goodison
you should change the poll to 'Can we make the top half?' after Oldham

Player
Liam Palmer
At least 52 points should keep us up - what with all the points deductions of the other clubs :-({|=

Player
Liam Palmer
Goodison looks like being out for about a month. Injury bad, but not as bad as feared. He would have missed the games against Port Vale and Bournemouth due to international duty with Jamaica anyway. Big chance for Chorley to make an impression.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Looking at the table as it is today, and with the news that Goodison will be out for a month, I'm afraid the answer's no. We're awful without Goodison, and it's too big a hill to climb.

We've been too inconsistent this season and the loss of Davies and Shuker has hit us hard.

Losing to Doncaster was unfortunate, but getting beat by Oldham has sunk us.

Gutted!

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I don't think so. Just going on our form when Goodison was out after New year. It was dreadful... In my opinion Sherriff and Chorley aren't good enough at centre back. So unless he gets one in on loan to play next to Kay then I very much doubt it!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with the above, almost no chance with the players we've got left. With such a thin squad, it seemed folly to let out some of our promising youngsters like Henry/Holmes, only for them to get injured. However, win at Swansea and the picture changes:-k

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Well Danny Holmes is now back so we have a bit more defensive cover... Think i'd rather have Henry in our midfield now though than Mullin!!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Did Holmes not bust a jaw then?

Agree 100% that Henry would be an improvement on Mullin on Saturday's showings.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We CAN make the play-offs, but I don't think we will. The Ian Moore Factor has well and truly worn off and we're back to our January form.

Is the motivation there any more? I don't think so. You'd expect the players whose contracts are up in June (eg Mullin, Sherriff) to be playing for their lives, but who is?

Unless something happens soon like a good loan signing or Shuker's return, I can't see us returning to the top six now.

og in oz

we have to make them, im flying from australia and i want tosee more than the last game of the season.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Swansea ( 74 ), Doncaster ( 68 ) and Carlisle ( 67 ) have broken away a little at the top. So it's a fair guess that they'll be fighting amongst themselves for the two automatic spots, and the third.... well... finishing third. Notts Forest ( 58 ) ought to make the play offs now, points on the board is what matters after all.

Now that means just two places to play for.

I think Hartlepool ( 49 ) who have no games in hand at all are probably just too far away to make it now, barring a minor miracle.

The table remains so very very close that any team above them can still make it into those last two play off places. 8 teams but only 2 can make it. The odds are not in our favour, because they can't all lose.

Although that said, there are still 9 games to play before any play offs start, and just as they can't all lose, they also cannot all win. Plenty of points still to play for.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Very true. There are still 27 points to be had, so there's going to be quite a bit of movement from now till the end of the season.

I'll sticky this thread, so it allows us to keep it going as the games progress right through to the last few games.

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Think we have to be looking to win all of our next four games to put us in with a strong shout of the play offs. Having said that you just have to look at what a tight league this is. Just 3 games ok we looked really good for a play off place and now it's in the balance again!!

April is a real tough month with Walsall, Forest and Southend. At least the last two are at home!!!

I soooo want the play offs it's unreal!!!!![-o<

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think Shuker will be back for the last few games which should give us a boost. He just needs his fitness back now.

I think we can do it too. But even now, more consistancy is needed. To go this far into the season and not give 100% every game would be madness. Swansea was an improved performance, but Oldham was a joke. There can be no more complacency. And if there is, it's Ronnie's head it will fall on.

The top few teams are so consistent, it's really a case of fighting it out for the 5th/6th place.

M

mouse

Looking at the fixtures it is going to be an exciting end to the season, P.Vale (h), Bournmouth (a), Swindon (h) - we should be targeting 9 points.

April is crucial with three games to decide our fate - Walsall (a) Forest (h) Hudds(a) and Southend (last home game). Win the 6 pointers and we should be home and dry in the play offs! Very tough last game Northampton (a) at the end. It's going to be very close, and we cannot afford to drop many points! I hope the Wirral public wake up and start attending these crucial home games at the business end.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Mouse has said it all. We are hanging in there but will need to be much more consistent than we have been of late. If we can climb back into the top six by the end of the month, we have a chance. Then we mustn't lose any ground in the big matches against Forest, Southend and Walsall. I don't believe winning any game is beyond us, but equally we're capable of losing to anybody. At least it promises to be an exciting climax to the season.

M

mouse

Very important win tonight against Port Vale, and we are now level on points with Forest. As Kingy once said Easter can be compared to a big rock which is a marker for the good ship Tranmere to finish well in the race to the beach - we are right in the chasing pack now. Our rivals have games in hand, but looking at the Easter fixtures things are definately looking up - as everybody at the top end seems to be playing each other or has tougher fixtures!

Good Friday:
Southend v Swansea
Northampton v Forest
Yeovil v Donny

Saturday:
Brighton v Swindle
Leeds v Walsall (live SKY)
Orient v Carlisle

Easter Monday
Bournmouth v Tranmere
Carlisle v Northampton
Cheltenham v Orient
Donny v Oldham
Forest v Brighton
Swansea v Bristol Rovers
Swindon v Southend
Walsall v Crewe

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, I thought it was very important tonight to get back into that top six. It keeps the pressure on the teams up there, plus us moving back into the top six, means someone else having to drop out.

Bournemouth on Monday is going to be a tough game. The Southend v Swansea game is a very tasty tie!