• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Cambridge v Tranmere

Cambridge v Tranmere
Posted by Ian
The Abbey Stadium
Saturday, February 16, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 16, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Match discussion in here.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Given Ellis played so well against Stevenage, it will be a difficult decision for Micky if Nelson is available.

Player
ian goodison
nelson who looks like he was starting to settle or ellis who was immense? as boz says what a decision

Reactions: Ian
Player
aldo
a good one to have . at least it will keep em on there toes . we need some one to give nors the same problem

Player
ian goodison
AM I don,t think nors needs keeping on his toes he seems to revel in being loved here, the way he took no stick from their defender was great, also conor rushing in to back him up showed a great team spirit

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Both Nelson and Banks unavailable for this game. I had wondered if Micky might revert to a back five for the away games, particularly with Cambridge in such good form, winning four of their last five, but Nelson's absence makes that unlikely. My guess would be that we'll start with the same xi as last week, save Ellis in for Nelson.

Ex-Rover David Amoo has been on the scoresheet a couple of times for the Us in recent games. They also have Jabo Ibhere, who's historically been a thorn in our side. Don't think this will be an easy game and Rovers will need to be as good as the Stevenage game to take something from it.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Banks is only a doubt rather than definitely ruled out, although I don't think he would have started anyway.

Cambridge were awful when we played them before Christmas but are much improved under Colin Calderwood, winning four of their last five games. I think attitude is going to be key; if we can match the effort of the hosts there is no reason why we can't pick up three points, which is certainly what we should be aiming for. I would say we need a minimum of four points from the next two away games if we are to make ground on the top seven.

As Boz says above, I think we will have an unchanged team, save for Ellis replacing Nelson. It will be interesting to see whether we can maintain the standard of last week's performance, or whether we still struggle for consistency as the newcomers gel.

We have sold 350-400 tickets in advance, so it will be another good following from the SWA.

Player
Manager
John King
Interesting that Mellon's take was that the midweek results were positive for us, narrowing the gap to the top seven irrespective of our current position.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It will be interesting to see whether we can maintain the standard of last week's performance, or whether we still struggle for consistency as the newcomers gel.
I thnk this is pretty crucial time right now. Hovering just below the playoff zone, we've made numerous changes to the squad but last week's game was positive. If the players we have, who are IMO good ones, can gel (and we saw signs of that last week) then I hope we can get a few positive results on the spin. The attitiude has to be right and they need to be working hard as a team grinding out results to push us into the chasing pack. It won't be easy but I do feel we have the quality to do it.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We have three winnable games followed by a tough one at Exeter. I reckon after this spell we should have a clear picture of where we stand. If we can get nine or ten points, the new players will have bedded in and confidence will be sky high.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
BBTC, on the recent form guide, Cambridge are marginally ahead of Exeter, so we should be expecting a tough game. Rovers will need to match the quality of last weekend to deliver a result here.

Player
aldo
we have to keep the same power . chasing and closing down . they have set a standard now dont fall below it . same team that finished the game same score . the same focus is the key

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hadn’t realised Ridehalgh injured and he played well last weekend. Chance for Zoum to show he’s back to early season form/fitness. Defensively we’re a bit stretched only one defender Buxton on the bench.

Player
Manager
John King
A tough half. We have played some decent football through midfield at times, but the hosts are very hardworking and physical and have edged it overall. Another useless ref who has given us nothing.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A decent point on the road against an in form Cambridge side. Good to get a clean sheet.

Just need to follow it up with a win at port vale on Tuesday who are in freefall and lost at home to Morecambe today.

Player
Manager
John King
A much better second half which we largely dominated. A decent point given other results.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A reasonable point, given the host’s form. Sounds like Davies and Ellis were in the wars, hopefully fit for Tuesday.