• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Bromley v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
This was a game which ran along similar lines to many matches this season, but fortunately today it was Rovers who took one of the few chances in the second half to earn the points.

In the first half we were clearly the better side, enjoying more possession and playing the better football. We looked comfortable in the diamond formation and, as in the first half against Wrexham, Jennings, Norwood and Alabi linked well at times playing neat triangles.We had the better opportunities, with their keeper making a couple of decent saves, notably from a near post shot from Norwood. The tactic clearly seemed to be to play balls in behind the Bromley defence for Alabi and Norwood to run on to. In the last fifteen minutes of the half we took this instruction a bit too literally, with the centre halves releasing a long ball too early, but generally we used the tactic well, playing through midfield before dinking a more subtle ball in behind. Unfortunately, there was a lack of conviction in our finishing and at times in our final ball, and we did not get the goal we deserved.

After half time, we lost our way. In the first ten minutes of the second half Bromley put us under sustained pressure and Davies made a couple of decent saves, the only occasions in the game he was tested. Thereafter, possession was more even, but our passing became disjointed and sloppy and confidence visibly drained from the players. We were restricted mostly to long range efforts, the best of which was a good free kick from Buxton. Unlike previous matches, however, we weathered the brief storm from the visitors and stayed in the game and it was a great finish from Norwood for the winner, a shot from an acute angle which was a much more difficult chance than many he has missed this season. Over the ninety minutes, the victory was deserved.

Individually, i thought very few players were at their best. Buxton was poor by his standards and Jeff Hughes even worse. On the positive, the two centre halves were very solid, with Steve McNulty the best player on the pitch over ninety minutes. Mich Duggan looked more comfortable and effective in midfield than as a wing back. However, I would give man of the match to Norwood: he was nowhere near his best today, but kept chasing and working when other players seemed to give up the ghost in the second period, and did the most difficult thing in football, scoring a goal.

I certainly would not get carried away based on this performance, but we did look better tactically in the first half. In addition, the two home games do give us a great opportunity to push on; on Wednesday we will play an Orient side who are actually in much poorer form than we are, and under similar pressure.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
A bit worried after watching Mellon's interview. There seemed to be a lot of back-tracking on the original aims for the season, with the emphasis on a 'back-to-basics' approach, although I suppose you could argue that is just being realistic in our current position. Mellon seemed to emphasise the current weaknesses in the squad, but we should remember he had sufficient resources in the summer to make sure those gaps were plugged. The pressure on Tollitt was also ramped up even further.

It also seems that we are absolutely skint at the moment, hence we are bringing in players with 'potential' rather than finished articles.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I found some of MMs interview a bit puzzling. We'd taken all of our fit players with us. Rokka not fit then? What of the likes of Drysdale, Solomon-Davies and Devine, all of whom played in that final game at Maidstone? Much emphasis on being a non-league side now and the signing (loaning) of players with potential as RLC mentions. Also implied playerS moving out, aside from Dawson, who does this relate to? It was all quite cryptic.

I find it difficult to square the circle over our player budget. With the numbers who left, unless we paid significantly improved money to those signing new deals and more for the new recruits than those leaving, you feel there ought to still be something left in the kitty. I know that there's still the Alabi tribunal fee to settle. Micky only brought 6 players in during the summer and while you can question the need to bring in two extra strikers and surely there was a faster, less injury-prone central defender available than McEveley, it didn't seem the manager was that profligate in the summer.

It's interesting who RLC highlights as being below par. The radio commentary was fairly kind to Hughes, who made some late runs on set pieces and his corners were an improvement and generally positive about the defence as a whole. In fact I don't remember them being critical about anyone, the side was given a game-plan and stuck to it.

Last edited:

drwhoman

On the budget, the simple fact is that we no longer get parachute payments from the EFL and any spare money from the Ingleborough Rd sale has been spent. Not getting promoted last season was a bigger disaster than might appear. This is a major reason why MM has little money to spend particularly given that many players were given two year contracts last season when we had more money.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Drwhoman, the Palioi would have known that we'd lose parachute payments and academy funding if we didn't go up last season. As experienced accountants, it's unlikely they'd have not a contingency plan for still being in the NL. Not aware how much of the Ingleborough profit went into the playing budget, indeed I wasn't aware it had all been spent. We were told top third playing budget still and yet looking at the squad it doesn't feel like that. You would also think an experienced manager would hold some budget back. In the meetings with supporters groups, there hasn't been a big thing made about the finances, think at the OSC mention of losses at the Wirral Live events. Yet all the signs are that we are totally skint. How have things come to this and when, if ever will the outside projects like the coaching in China come to our financial rescue?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Glad I wasn't the only one who felt the tone of the interview was a bit different from usual.

Perhaps the result of the meeting Micky and MP had earlier in the week. As Boz suggests, one of the reasons we can now only shop for potential as micky put it, is because we've arguably wasted funds on signing the likes of Alabi, McEveley, Dunn, Rokka - all of which we could have coped without quite easily.

Micky hinting a couple moving on may not include Dawson who has already signed for Darlington on loan. The Cook to Wrexham rumours have started up again and with Baxter supposed to be coming, maybe Micky sees Cook as someone who doesn't fit the system he wants. Although bringing in wingers and a 4-4-2 surely would suit cook but any departure may due their relationship and his lack of GPS stats!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If we let Cook go to Wrexham, then it sends out the wrong signal, letting a player go to one of our rivals for promotion. Or have we given up on going up this season already? If the rift between MM and the player can't be mended, then he should move on, assuming the manager stays. I would rather we kept him until January even as a bit part player and sell on then to a non-rival.

If Baxter was a right-wing back or a defensive midfielder might be a risk worth taking. We've got enough players classed as attacking midfielders already imo.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I’m leaning more towards the rumour gathering pace about Cook as it just isn’t working out with him and MM. I think it will happen at some point but I hope not to Wrexham.

I believe MP stance is we’re stuck with what we’ve got so we’ve got to get on with it. Bringing in a few loanees might give us a bit more spark (let’s hope so!). We need to try something as even after the win yesterday in the 94th minute, is was far from convincing.

Again, I feel it for Tollitt, horrible time to come back into the squad but it will be good to have him back.

Player
Manager
John King
With regard to boz's comments, the players stuck to the game plan but individually a lot of them were still below their best. I am a big fan of Hughes but he was poor again yesterday, as he has been most of the season (yes, a couple of his corners were better). I think he is carrying an injury which is hindering him. With regard to the finances, we took a massive hit from Wirral live but palios knew the situation when he announced the 'budget is the same as last season'. As has been said above, the money wasted by Mellon in the summer must be a major issue. My guess is that the 'base' budget is the same as last season, but unlike previous years there is no capacity for bringing in players mid-season due to the wirral live loss. What concerns me is that MM seemed happier in that interview taking about scraping results, almost as if the pressure is off him. Which it probably is in a sense if we a) can't afford to bring in players which he can use as an excuse and b) can't afford to sack him.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
I’m leaning more towards the rumour gathering pace about Cook as it just isn’t working out with him and MM. I think it will happen at some point but I hope not to Wrexham.

If Wrexham did sign Cook it could pretty much guarantee them promotion given how strong their defence is. Not great for the relationship between club, manager and fans if it does happen. More importantly, we simply are not going to score enough goals without Cook or a replacement of similar quality.

We can't sell to a Football League club until January, so it would have to be a NL side if he does go.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think Mangan will be one of those to go and either Alabi or Waring as well

Player
aldo
As i said the other day . Dont care if we play crap or good as long as we win . Play well or ugly . So well done lets please back it up . I didnt know the score till i got home at 1130 last night as i cooked for a big wedding only did a 15hr day with no break. So if are players say they cant play because of a plastic pitch . Send them to me to do a real days work. Prob won't kknow what hit them if they had to .

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with RLC that if Cook did go to one of our rivals, with Wrexham or Hartlepool the most likely destination, without a replacement of similar calibre arriving, it would create a large disconnect between the club and the fan-base.There is already discontent over things like the season-card debacle and could see the core fan-base shrinking.

I can't see Alabi going, as we've only just signed him and he's hardly been given a chance. Mangan, possibly, as I'm surprised how quickly he was dumped after getting his opportunity. Wouldn't be averse to Waring being loaned out for a month or two, might help if he had some games under his belt.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think Mangan will be one of those to go and either Alabi or Waring as well
After the way Alabi played on Saturday, we should hang onto him and let him develop, especially if Cook goes. Waring is the nearest we have to Cook, might have potential and won't be on big wages, so it may be short-sighted to let him go. Mangan should perhaps be loaned out to keep him match fit and release funds because if we have any injuries up front, he'll be needed. I agree that loaning out any player not regularly in the match day squad, particularly youngsters like Waring, who need games under their belt.

Player
aldo
Yes we need to ship a few out would be good . To see a central midfield player come in someone with pace an balls

Player
Jonny Morrisey
I know Jose Baxter has had his issues in the past but I think he'd be a great addition if we could get him in on loan from Everton. He is far too good for this league and would certainly be the stand out player. We need midfielders to chip in with goals and he has also played up front for Sheff Utd in League One season before last....... Get him signed up!

Player
Manager
John King
I am not sure about Baxter. We already have Jennings and Norburn who can score goals from midfield but just are not being used effectively at the moment.

More importantly, we have got several players in the squad - Wallace, Dawson, Mangan, Rokka - who are eating up resources but making next to no contribution, and we don't want another one. Baxter carries too much baggage for me and there are other areas of the team that need to be addressed first.

Player
Manager
John King
Reasonable results for us tonight, with Aldershot, Daggers, Sutton and Dover all drawing. We are now ten points behind Macclesfield in first, nine off second and six behind seventh with a game in hand.

Chester lost at home again giving us hope ahead of Saturday and suggesting their new manager bounce was rather brief.

Perhaps I should not get my hopes up.......

Player
aldo
Now lets go on a run a get up this leauge . Its the most open leauge for a few years an the weakest its been . We need to go an start now