• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Bromley v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A trip to Hayes Lane next up for Rovers and I have not felt as unenthusiastic about a Tranmere match in a long time.

Our opponents have improved a lot in the last year or so under the management of Neil Smith. The corresponding fixtures in the last two seasons were dominated by Rovers and won convincingly, but it is difficult to see that happening on Saturday. Bromley brought in some decent players over the summer such as Brett Williams and our own Adam Mekki, and have the advantage of a 3G pitch; their home results this season include a 6-1 thrashing of Orient and they currently sit just outside the play off positions.

Given our current circumstances, I would not be surprised if Mellon set up set up in a negative 532 as at Ebbsfleet, simply to try and scrape something from the game. As defeat could see us drop into the bottom four, it could be argued that this is the right strategy. I have no idea which eleven will be selected, but I am pretty sure Cook won't be one of them and it is likely McEvely will return to the team.

Prediction: I think about 3-400 Rovers fans will be present to see at best a draw, or more likely a narrow defeat.

drwhoman

You do wonder if money is the only reason Mallon has not gone. The current situation is simply unacceptable. If they do get beaten......

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think MP is prepared to give him more time. In our current form, very tough game and one I don’t have high hopes of winning.

A draw would at least stop the rot a little but we need maximum points.

Mekki will probably run rings around us :rolleyes:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
cant see us getting anything out of this game that's how low we have sank think another 1 0 defeat

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Bromley made a good start to the season, their more recent form is patchy, most recently losing at a Halifax side reduced to 10 men for the second half (sound familiar?). They don't seem to have our trouble scoring and as well as those mentioned by RLC, ex-Rover Ben Chorley is on the playing and coaching staff, though think out injured at present.

Doubtless MM will revert to 532 and recall McEveley to slow things down at the back even more. No idea who he'll select further up the park but last weekend, we only managed 3 decent chances against 10 men and one of those Alabi did all the spadework for as well as having the shot. Shuffling the pack up front is unlikely to have much impact without improving the supply lines. For all of his failings, thought Alabi was one of our better players v Wrexham until his confidence dipped and it might be worth giving him another start.

I don't think a draw would be a bad result, given our precarious position, the primary aim has got to be moving away from the bottom. After last weekend's half-hearted performance I'd be surprised if we got anything here.

Player
Manager
John King
For all of his failings, thought Alabi was one of our better players v Wrexham until his confidence dipped and it might be worth giving him another start.

I agree with that. I would not mind seeing Alabi and Cook up front.

Player
aldo
If mm could drop the two sitting midfielders and push em up . Look wat harris did at north ferriby last season . When pushed more up field. Also need wing backs to get forward more. Im staying with the team . An going for a win . Cook an noors to score . Think tollitt will be on bench

Player
aldo
Not arsed with mceverly hope he dont play . If alibi plays has to be to feet .an him running at em its the only way he plays an scores . Come on my super team . Lets sing from the 1st min to the last an show even more amazing support .

Player
aldo
When we win on saturday . Then beat orient on tuesday . Then i will be a happy man . Ive rubbed my crystal balls . lol

Player
aldo
Stand up if we scored a goal . Stand up if we scord a goal stand up if we scored a goal. Commmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeee onnnnnnnnnnn lets be avvvvin it . . .

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky said last week that clearly the team is low on confidence and that it was his job to put it right. The only way to do this is hard work in his view. Suspect the mood around the place this week hasn't been great so you can imagine some team building exercises going on to try and lighten the mood and get the players smiling again.

As with most games recently, the first goal is crucial - and none more so on Saturday against a Bromley side with a decent home record who will be looking to put one over on a much bigger side like us. If we go behind it could be a long afternoon. As Ian suggests, Mekki will have an extra incentive. Always a frustrating player due in part to his inability to last the full 90 minutes - but he did have his good points and given our lack of width, perhaps we should have kept hold of him. Especially when you see last weeks square pegs in round holes again (Norwood right wing, Jennings left wing), that clearly wasn't working.

Team selection will be interesting as ever. Alabi & Dunn were recalled last week and as Boz says, James did ok first half and just needs a goal. Dunn didn't do much but I felt he should have played left wing later on instead of an out of position CJ. I still think Dunn has potential but he needs a good run of games and all this chopping and changing won't be helping.

The feelings of most fans are that they still want Micky to stay - and I don't think MP is in any rush to fire him - but another defeat ahead of 2 home games v Orient & Chester will surely mean that something needs to happen.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Boz says, James did ok first half and just needs a goal.
Thats a fair point. I’ve not seen much from him yet but maybe a goal will do him the world of good. You could see how frustrated he was when he missed last week.

joe

I am aware that there was a meeting between Micky and Palios on Monday. Probably to tell him to buck his ideas up or.....

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Cook suspended after picking up 5 bookings. The one last weekend was a daft one for dissent, after the officials had made what looked like the correct call.

Apparently some players may not be used due to the 3G pitch.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Despite being 100% right last week, I am not confident about predicting this one. There are too many imponderables. In terms of team selection, I would first choose players showing the right attitude in training and in their general demeanour. This might mean some of the old lags being replaced by the odd youngster. I know it's not an ideal time to go for inexperience, but these are unusual times and unless we turn the tide, we'll get drowned! If that means dropping Cook if he's not got the right body language, then so be it.

Unlike everybody else, I am looking forward to Saturday because at last I am able to see my first match of the season having finally sorted out my move from Hertfordshire. Despite being near the epicentre of the NL, Tunbridge Wells is not a football town. It is a great place to live but the local team are in tier nine and you don't see any football shirts around town. I bet I am the only fan from TW attending, but if you know of any others in the area, do let me know.

Player
Manager
John King
Let us hope you are not 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' at 5pm on Saturday BBTC. ;) Seriously, it is a nice part of the world you are moving to.

Regarding Cook's suspension, I am not sure the 3G surface would have suited him anyway to be honest. Alabi, Norwood and Jennings looked quite promising when they linked up in the first half last week, so hopefully they can go one better and actually score a goal on Saturday.