• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Brian Little For Wrexham

• Thread starter alex_wxm_4_life
  • Start date
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
When Little was appointed, I was optimistic. It seemed a great coup for the club. He was still a big name and at the time was the last English manager to win a trophy.

He quickly rebuilt confidence and the following season we finished third but lost in the play-offs in extra time. Who knows what would have happened if we'd gone up, but that was the beginning of the end for Little.

At the beginning of the next season, he had to sell our best two players (Ryan Taylor and Iain Hume). No attempt was made to replace them and within a few weeks he was being publically criticised by chairman Lorraine Rogers for not spending money on players. From then on, his position ws undermined and the team slid down the league, narrowly avoiding relegation. Little promptly left the club "by mutual consent".

Most of his signings were poor, but I'm not sure he had any money. His best signing was Ian Goodison, whom he played out of position at left back. I think he was an honest manager who was a bit unlucky, but he was never that popular with the fans because he always seemed to be making excuses. Possibly he was just not tough enough. If he gets a bit of money to spend and a patient chairman, he might move you up the league.

I wish you both luck - until you get into our league!!

A

alex_wxm_4_life

Thanks for that, All the best this season, You belong in the Championship.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I joked with a lad in work that you'll have Little in charge next! And told him things couldnt get any worse..

To be honest, I can't see how things could get any worse, and he may actually save your season. He tends to do well the first season/two seasons with a club, and then loses the plot. Be prepared for him to play players out of positions etc etc..

Just type Little into the search here and you'll read plenty.

Good luck for the season though, you need it!

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Before i write my thoughts, was that a Wrexham fan wishing us all the best? We belong in the Championship? Nice to see, i wish Wrexham and BL the best too in all honesty.

As for Little, well, not our favourite manager as you might gather. Kinda lost the plot towards the end but we'd sold all our better players so what was he to do? In fairness, he's put his name forward for every possible job going since he left Prenton Park and has not been offered any of them, including the Macclesfield job twice. Do club chairmen know more than us? Hope he does well, but hands off Goodi! :lol:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If it does happen, would prove the saying about things going in circles, as your 1-2 win over Rovers was the catalyst for his arrival at the club.

Bring back the cowshed is too kind to him imo. I felt we'd have stayed up under Ray Mathias, who was sacked after the Wrexham defeat. We did ok to get to the play-offs second season, but he was tactically too defensive in the away leg, leaving it all to do. The third season was pretty grim, Hume was seemingly forced out by Little in a cut price move to Leicester, though Little did bring Greenacre to the club and his goals kept us up that season.

The weaknesses of his management were playing people out of position, not really giving the younger players much of a chance and a lack of rapport with the fans. That said, he's probably got enough tactical awareness to grind you out the results to stay in the football league and that might do you for now?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, I think he'll do well to begin with. To be honest, they've got nothing to lose, and although he's quite defensive minded, I think he'll have them playing better football and he'll grind out results.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, I think he'll do well to begin with. To be honest, they've got nothing to lose, and although he's quite defensive minded, I think he'll have them playing better football and he'll grind out results.

I may have over-rated the clown.

Wrexham have now lost their last six games in a row and are firmly rooted at the bottom.

Some of Brian's latest ramblings:

On their 2-1 defeat to Chesterfield
- "At half time, if I had told my team to go and play them off the park, I would be lying and nobody would believe me anyway.
- "Did we deserve a draw? I don't know."

On their 2-0 defeat to Rochdale
- "I think that we were beaten by a better team, I think that was a certainty."
- "I have learnt an awful lot in the last few weeks when we have had some awful results but all I can say is that we will try and get it right."

On their 3-0 defeat to Rotherham
- "I feel we are improving and bordering on getting something out of games like this, but we do need to turn the corner fairly soon."
- "I'm up for the challenge and I'm optimistic, we just need a break and we certainly didn't get it today."

always the optimist! :roll:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume

That said, he's probably got enough tactical awareness to grind you out the results to stay in the football league and that might do you for now?

Ian, I made the same misjudgement of his talents

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Boz, we should hang our heads in shame.. :lol: #-o

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Remember ... One Brian Little, There's Only One Brian Little .... :lol:

Poor old wrexham

Player
Johnny Morrissey
8 successive defeats is that now??? Oh dear oh dear. And Hally has joined Brian. I hope they can keep up but it aint looking good is it?

Player
John Aldridge
Maybe Wrexham should now be renamed Tranmere Rejects XI ???

Who's Little going to sign next thats played for the club...