• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Brabin in or out?

Should TRFC sack Brabin or give him another season?

• Sack

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Another season

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
You decide...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In fairness, I think we have to give him the next four matches and judge him over a 46 game season. But it does not look good for him tonight.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
IF we win the next four, then because of the way other play-off contenders fixtures stack-up, with games against each other, it's almost certain we would make the play-offs.

However, it's highly unlikely on form that we'll do that. I'd partially agree with RLC in that Brabin should stay in post while there is still a chance of the play-offs. More debatable is what should happen if by the time say the Wrexham game is over we can't make the play-offs. Should the Palioi be looking to get rid and identify a replacement, ideally to take over for the last couple of games or should GB be given another season?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm really not sure. Apart from yesterday we've been on a great run since xmas and GB deserves credit for that. He's brought in good players like Davies, Big Mac & Norwood. But also some duffers and messed up with mangan/Margetts.

Crucially it's rare for a team to bounce back straight away so it's perhaps unfair to have expected anymore than a play off position.

If we make the play offs then he should be given another chance. But even if we finish say top 8. I don't think MP will want the upheaval of another managerial change. But he would insist on promotion next season.

It's difficult - overall we've had a decent season, but GB really frustrates the majority of the SWA.

My vote: undecided.

Player
Manager
John King
As sparky says, our form since Christmas has been very good and it would seem harsh and counterproductive to sack him based on the last three months. However, a season lasts nine months and our overall performance has not been convincing. With a wage budget of 1.1 million - massive for this level - I think we should have been cemented in the play offs like fgr and Grimsby. I appreciate there has been a turnaround of players and you would expect the team to take a couple of months to gel. However, our form actually deteriorated in mid season which is we are still far from certain of a play off place. Added to all that is our home form, which has been appalling. We lost eleven last year in the worst season in our history. This time we have lost eight in non league football, a number of the defeats to really poor teams - boreham wood, barrow, welling. The home form has been really damaging to supporter morale and could impact negatively on season ticket sales. As I have said, I will vote after 46 games but as it stands I think we have clearly underachieved this season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm now leaning towards getting rid. Ultimately, we've underachieved and it has been quite awful at times (yesterday being a prime example) that shouldn't be happening against a side second from bottom who have been awful all season.

Knee jerk reaction maybe and we would be back to square one but when you look at the likes of Cheltenham, we are well behind them and they were as bad if not worse than us last season. And that's even before we look at the comparing budgets.

I think he's out of his depth to be honest and tactically we are all over the place.

The club are lucky that the supporters turn up every week after some of the dross we've seen. 4/5k in the national league. They gotta sort this out soon otherwise that number will dwindle fast.

Player
Manager
John King
Whatever happens in the final four games I think Brabin will be here next season. If we finish sixth or seventh you could make a case for that being a reasonable performance at this level, and after the previous two seasons I am sure that is how Palios will view things. However, as I have said previously, if you consider the financial advantage we have had this season, if Brabin could not make the play-offs this time what likelihood is there of us making the top five next season ? That is my concern. It is not as if we have a particularly young squad that is necessarily going to improve next year, and a lot of the old stagers like GTF and Higdon will no doubt be moving on in the summer.

It may seem a trivial point but Brabin does not help himself with his PR, which is generally terrible. Even yesterday, after such a shocking display in the second half, he had a little dig at the supporters in his post-match interview claiming that 'some of them have given up on us'. I am not sure what reaction he expects from the fans after such a pathetic display on what was an important and emotional day for the club, for many reasons. If he was more open, less defensive and did not hide behind so many excuses in his interviews, he might win more friends at the club.

Reactions: Ian

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Sack him as he is not upto the job of getting us promoted and by and large the standard of football to watch has been poor and dull. We have won 8 out of 15 in the league so far this year which isn't good enough even if we were playing an exciting brand of football which we are clearly not.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
I think you have to give him the 46 games this season then decide, but his only saving grace for me, would be promotion via the play offs. I agree with most of the comments above in regard to the size of our budget, the signings the board have allowed him to make (making the money available - not some of the poor choices he's made) and the lack of back bone he shows in interviews.

For me he's totally out of his depth at a club like Tranmere and the expectation that comes with managing our club. His inability to play players in their correct positions earlier in the season, his inability to put aside whatever differences he had with Manghan and Margetts and play them instead of loaning in shite to replace them and his inability to make tactical changes in a game when things are not going right instead of 1 for 1 changes are what's cost us this season.

In his defence he has made some good signings in Davies, McNulty and Norwood (player of the season for me) but it pales into significance when you look at his overall performance. When you look at Dover, Braintree and the likes, these are clubs with the fraction of our finances yet are by far exceeding what we are looking to achieve and for me Brabin has to answer to that!

The difficulty is, who would you get to replace him?

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Some of these teams are part timers! I think that tells us how far adrift we are.

That's the burning question white squaddie. Who would we get to replace? They'll hardly be banging on the door.

drwhoman

I can only agree with what has been said. My recollection is that GB was last really successful about 7/8 years ago? Replacement is an issue but eight losses at home often to poor teams suggests a lack of tactical acumen which is highlighted in his unwillingness to change things when needed. I suspect he has a strong stubborn streak which is reflected in his poor relationship with several now former players and his sniping at the fans. Maybe he should have stayed coaching the Everton kids where this was not such an issue.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As for Any replacement, 3 Spring to mind:

- Jimmy Harvey
- Dave Challinor
- Ronnie Moore

My preference would be the latter.

Player
Manager
John King
If we could employ Ronnie for the last four games he would make an impact and get us in the play-offs, but longer term I don't think he would be the answer.

In reply to Ian, I think plenty of managers would want the job as we are the biggest club in non-league football. However, all appointments carry a risk of some sort or another. Danny Cowley at Braintree would be a name worth considering, as would Challinor. However, they have never managed a club the size of Rovers and you don't know how they would respond to the challenge. Jimmy Harvey would be a popular choice with supporters, but probably would not do any better than Brabin in my view.

It is a difficult decision for Palios as there is no guarantee of success, whatever profile of manager he goes for (not that this is a reason in itself for sticking with Brabin). And as I have said, I doubt Brabin is going anywhere until his contract is up.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
As for Any replacement, 3 Spring to mind:

- Jimmy Harvey
- Dave Challinor
- Ronnie Moore

My preference would be the latter.

Ronnie has never managed at this level and I would have reservations about him working with a limited budget and developing younger players.

Harvey is someone who would come and knows the working of the club fairly well. He hasn't yet kept Halifax up and has health issues, but probably the best of the three. I think the quality of football his sides play would be an improvement on Brabin.

Challinor is an unknown and I've no idea how his team plays. Fylde have a fair bit of money and may well come up through the play-offs, so he might not want to move.