• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Boreham Wood v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The partnership of Cook and Norwood was broken up to accomodate a player (Alabi) who was useless and is not even good enough to warm Dover's bench. Cook was dropped for the opening game at Torquay, a strange treatment of our top scorer and best striker, and a decision that clearly affected Cook's confidence.

Mellon got it wrong, but I am still a supporter of his and thankfully he has learnt from his error.

We move on.........

M

Mal

Norwood having a three match ban in the early games of the season probably had an influence on selection

joe

It is true to say that Cookie was not scoring. All Managers will then try another combination or work at motivating the player.

Reactions: Mal
Player
Manager
John King
It is true to say that Cookie was not scoring. All Managers will then try another combination or work at motivating the player.
If cook was dropped because he failed to score, why did not he start the opening game at Torquay, before a ball had even been kicked ? He was our top scorer the previous season.

Player
Manager
John King
A target man will never score goals if he is isolated in a 433 system with no width. Oh, and I just checked. Cook has been our top scorer in the last two seasons.

drwhoman

Clearly MM was trying to be too clever when he messed around with Cook. At NL level a target man is the way to go so long as they get service. It was a shame Alabi was signed at all. As has been said several times here we would be looking far more likely if we had started the season better. I just hope that recruitment is better this summer, whatever league we are in!

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Just hope MM's not being too cute by dropping Sutton & tinkering with a settled CB partenership. Especially bearing in mind Sutton offered a genuine goal threat from offensive set plays.

Player
Manager
John King
Just hope MM's not being too cute by dropping Sutton & tinkering with a settled CB partenership. Especially bearing in mind Sutton offered a genuine goal threat from offensive set plays.
Yes, I agree. Monthe has not been convincing, and Big Mac and Ritchie have a very good understanding. The lack of communication at the back on Saturday was alarming at times.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mungy is spot on about Richies goal threat. We still haven’t had enough goals from midfield or defence and set pieces are a crucial part of the game.

Jennings had his purple patch in December but is still a square peg in a round hole although he has done okay overall.

Sutton was up there in my player of the season thoughts.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Yes, I agree. Monthe has not been convincing, and Big Mac and Ritchie have a very good understanding. The lack of communication at the back on Saturday was alarming at times.

Seems a slight ongoing concern in terms of late loanees & end of season signings rocking the boat. Has a post Christmas signing impacted in recent years? With the exception of the Stockton recall of course?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It’s a valid point MH. Stockton’s return last year was a qualified success, while Collins and Sousa were barely used and Dunn’s impact was minimal. Higdon was poor the previous season, while the stream of signings from Adams did impact, negatively.

The Boreham Wood winner had both Buxton and McNulty out of position, suggesting they didn’t feel confident in Monthe. I’ve not seen him play yet, is he capable of playing as a left-wing back? The other option would be left in a trio of central defenders

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I really cannot see the logic in introducing a defender with 10 games to go. Understandable as cover but other than that it breaks down the defensive unit thats been in place pretty much all season and the two central defenders then need to form a new understanding. Sutton wasn't even playing badly and I think its a bad call by Mellon in his quest for a left sided defender.

M

Mal

I don't know where this idea of replacing Cook or Norwood deliberately with Alabi for a significant number of games came from. Think it is wise to look through the team sheets for first 15 games and the facts stand out. Mangan was tried. Norwood had three match suspension. Cook had one out through injury and one suspension and AlabI took his place. . For the most part Alabi was a substitute. Dunn and Mangan were tried and even mcdonathingummybob. Had Norwood not been sent off first game then suspended for three games, then the season may have panned out differently. Mceverly also got sent off. Mind you, not so much of a loss. So maybe we then get back to the other regular moan , recruitment not being good enough.... still, perhaps I should leave the facts to the resident expert.

Cheerio, it has been fun.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't know where this idea of replacing Cook or Norwood deliberately with Alabi for a significant number of games came from. Think it is wise to look through the team sheets for first 15 games and the facts stand out. Mangan was tried. Norwood had three match suspension. Cook had one out through injury and one suspension and AlabI took his place. . For the most part Alabi was a substitute. Dunn and Mangan were tried and even mcdonathingummybob. Had Norwood not been sent off first game then suspended for three games, then the season may have panned out differently. Mceverly also got sent off. Mind you, not so much of a loss. So maybe we then get back to the other regular moan , recruitment not being good enough.... still, perhaps I should leave the facts to the resident expert.

Cheerio, it has been fun.
Yes, the issues between Cook and Mellon, Cook being dropped for Stockton and Andy being stuck on the bench for the opening game were all just a mirage. I (we) imagined it all. I have never claimed to be an 'expert' but I am clearly not as forgetful as you.

Reactions: Boz

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
who'd be MM hey?
We are all human Mal, we all make mistakes but if someone can explain the reason for dropping a defender who's been playing well all season and scoring goals, I'm all ears.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Let’s hope Maidstone do is a favour tonight and beat Macc

Player
Manager
John King
Macclesfield one down. Barrow v hartlepool is not a bad game, Luke james impressive.

Player
aldo
at the end of the day the poor pre season and poor player recruitment in the summer has done for this season . even palios said on radio m side he did not wont to talk abt the summer recruitment . and im sorry palios said it was mm who had the say . live bye the sword and you die by it . also only winning 6 away games is not good enough . and again we dont score enough from the middle of the park . was good to see tollit showing a little form on saturday