• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Blades v Rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A massive test for a revitalised Rovers side against a Sheffield United team who appear a good bet for the second automatic promotion spot. United have wobbled slightly in recent weeks, with a couple of poor results coinciding with the absence of both centre halves through suspension, though they have since returned.

During Ronnie's last spell our away form was our achilles heel, with defeats at places like Crewe and Cheltenham effectively costing us a play-off spot in 2009, so it will be interesting to see how we shape up on Saturday. I think the result is pretty much irrelevant to our survival chances, but it is important we put on a decent showing to maintain confidence for the genuinely big games against Rochdale and Exeter.

The early indications are that Moore will stick with a 4-4-2 formation and the same eleven who started against Preston.

The Trust have a £10 coach offer on again for this game which should guarantee a decent Rovers following and a good atmosphere. Looking forward to my first visit to Bramall Lane for 12 years, but travelling in hope rather than expectation.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
My first away game this season. Bramall Lane hasn't been a happy hunting ground for Rovers. I went to a few games in the 90s, when living in Sheffield and can only remember one where we got anything; a 2-2 with Gary Jones on the score-sheet.

As RLC indicates, this will be tough. Rovers old-boy Steve Simonsen will be in goal for the Blades, don't know if Andy Taylor is still there? The referee is relatively inexperienced, so hope he isn't overwhelmed by the usually vocal home crowd.

It looks like an unchanged line-up, no news of the injured players. Don't expect Rovers to get anything, but it's important that we don't get thrashed and avoid injuries/suspensions for the games ahead. Prediction: 3-1.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
An interesting test for the team. To extend Ronnie's unbeaten start would be a bonus, as you shouldn't expect anything away to a side like the Blades. However, our record against the top two this season has been good - a draw in the PP fixture and two against Charlton, all 1-1.

We should be able to survive now. The teams at the bottom are not kicking on. Even if we'd lost the last three games we would still be just above the bottom four! The only danger is that we fall away after a good run, as happened earlier in the season. I somehow can't see it happening, but we need to keep the injury list down to manageable proportions.

Player
Backayogo
We did well against Huddersfield and Charlton under a dire Manager. We have a lot more confidence now and hopefully should get something from the game. In Yorkshire on the weekend but can't get to the match !!

Player
Liam Palmer
If Les was manager I wouldn't be worried by this fixture - we'd probably score first and lose 2-1. We gave a good account of ourselves at Charlton, Huddersfield, Wednesday and Carlisle, so we shouldn't go in with too much trepidation. Of course we might be playing 442, which means extra space in midfield, which might not actually suit us.

I don't expect many changes from Tuesday, although if things aren't going well, I expect Ronnie to be keeping an eye on the next two games, which are crucial and are - at least on paper - winnable so maybe the likes of Robbo, Enoch and Goodi might not finish the game.

Prediction: 2-1 United (after all that!)

O

OneNightInGayParis

Of course we might be playing 442, which means extra space in midfield, which might not actually suit us.

This is a good point and personnel mean RM probaIbly won't have an option but 4-4-2 - I would expect both Enoch and Brunt to play yet neither can do the wide role of a 4-3-3. IF we can win at Bramall Lane with 4-4-2 it will do massive things for confidence, but I expect a 3-1 defeat and hope Ronnie reviews his away formation (especially against the better teams) thereafter. #SWA

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A very tough game and think first defeat for ronnie 2 1

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Zoom in for robbo (rested)....,Back in for tuesday where more realistic chance of 3 pts imo !

Lucas to gets the winner ( the one eyed man?)

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
1-0 Rovers (Yes, Im still on the high of Ronnie being back!)

DIW

Player
Goodison
Draw would be a good result. Not going to get too down if we lose.

Player
steve coppell
Told you....congrats to all like me who had £100 on the right result .....off now to celebrate in style

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bet someone still slags off Akins ;0)
I call him the weak point in the team and then he gets us an equaliser at Sheff Utd. I should slag him off every week :lol:

Told you....congrats to all like me who had £100 on the right result .....off now to celebrate in style
Congrats, enjoy :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.