• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Barrow v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's not the best of weather forecasts for the weekend, so there must be an element of doubt that the game goes ahead. At the start of the season, this was one of games, I'd considered attending, but the way we've been playing lately, has meant I've opted to do something else.

Barrow scored a good goal and Rovers spurned a few chances in the home defeat last October. Can't see the manager making many changes to the side that lost last weekend, although I'd prefer a 442. Unless a new striker materialises.

Prediction: We took 845 to Morecambe last season, would be surprised at half that number for this one. 1-1 draw.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with Boz that a postponement is likely: Barrow's game on Boxing Day was called off and more rain is forecast.

I would agree that we will probably take about 400 fans. I spend a lot of time in the Lake District and this was one of the standout away games for me this season, but recent performances have dulled my enthusiasm for the game.

I would expect a similar line up to last Saturday, with a draw a likely outcome.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm finding our games more and more difficult to predict. We are just so inconsistent. I hope the Mangan saga has not caused any problems in the dressing room. His departure may be beneficial in the long term if he really was unhappy and showing it. I expect the signing of McNulty and the contract extensions for Hill and Mekki to have a positive effect on the them and the squad, which I hope we'll see on the pitch tomorrow.

This isn't a "must win" match, but it would be depressing to concede a league double to such a lowly side. On the other hand, their home form is respectable (only two league defeats), so a win would be an achievement. I just hope we play for a win and not settle for a draw. At this stage of the season with our position, one point per game is not much good to us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
1-1.draw

Stickman

Player
Aldo
Unbelievable. That's probably the high point of an otherwise disappointing season so far. One of those games that you never forget if you were there (which I wasn't).

M

Mal

Must admit that at 89 minutes i thought we were dead and barrowed

Player
Manager
John King
One of those games that you never forget if you were there.

Spot on. None of us will.

Probably the most remarkable game I have ever seen in the flesh, with only Southampton coming close. The character the players showed today was immense, but in truth, this was another game we dominated for long periods and the incredible finale should never have been necessary. We were the better side over ninety minutes and to be 3-1 down at that stage was a travesty. Barrow were very poor and we had enough of the ball, and enough chances, to have put the game out of sight before they scored their second.

The first half was fairly tight, but we played the better football and created more chances. There was a contrast in styles between the two teams, with Rovers constructing through midfield - which was good today - and Barrow going long to Cook virtually every time.

In the second period we completely dominated but could not find a second goal, a familiar story. Barrow's equalizer resulted from virtually their first attack of the half, and I was too far away to say whether or not it was a penalty. After the goal we showed good spirit, continued to dominate, but got caught on the counter attack twice. The pattern of the game was similar to Woking away, with Rovers clearly the better footballing side, creating numerous chances, failing to take them and getting punished.

With ninety minutes up we all thought Rovers were finished and there was indeed a great deal of frustration directed at Brabin, understandably so given that it has been like Groundhog Day watching Rovers this season.

However, after Maynard scored what appeared to be an excellent consolation, we threw shape and tactics out of the window and went for it. The next five minutes were a blur, but all of our goals were good finishes and credit in particular should be given to Jake Kirby, who demonstrated why he should have featured in the first team more often in recent weeks.

Individually, in the ninety minutes, I thought Harris and Jennings both had decent games, and Hughes again showed his quality and was increasingly influential as the game wore on. Mekki was good again, as was McNulty. I thought Vaughan also had his best game for us at right back. In the final five minutes I would give credit to the entire eleven for showing fantastic spirit: they clearly recognised the importance of winning this game and were obviously determined to get a result for their manager.

Just as the Portsmouth game completely destroyed our confidence last season, hopefully this result can give us a springboard to get into the play-offs. However, I still don't think that will happen until we learn how to convert our domination of possession into goals, something that will not be helped by Norwood's injury, which looks likely to keep him out for several weeks.

Many of the Rovers fans left after the third goal went in. Those that remained might go down in folklore as the 'Barrow 200'.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Ha Mal.......very clever!
It was a finale that normally befalls us. Let us relish the moment!
Forget the manager, this could be a result that gets the players wound up at last.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just as well it was away. PP would have been half empty by the time our second goal went in!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'll be very interested in the reports when they come, but exciting though it was, I'd rather we had got a second goal from our numerous efforts and held on to win 2-0. That would have been more convincing. However, I hope the elation the players feel will give them confidence and something to hope for whenever they are a goal or two down. It could be a turning point in away that a routine win might not have been.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just got in and looked at the score. What the? Wouldn't it be great if every game had seven goals in it.

It makes you wonder what would happen if Rovers threw caution to the wind a bit more often. How bizarre. We spend most of our games huffing a puffing for a goal and then we score three in a matter of minutes.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I wonder what Brabin was thinking at 3-1 down?

Player
Manager
John King
I wonder what Brabin was thinking at 3-1 down?

When our winner went in he sprinted half the length of the pitch like David Pleat in 1983 (for those that remember it).

This result bides him a bit of time, but as I said elsewhere, he still has big issues to deal with.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

drwhoman

He has clearly been watching Jurgen! See who he brings in with Norwood injured and Mangan ditched.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Great win for Rovers, I obviously did the right thing by staying away. How many actually made the trip? Unsure if the 200 RLC refers to were those who stayed to the (not so) bitter end.

Thanks for the report, RLC and posting the match footage, Mal. I certainly agree that the defending for their second goal was poor, unchallenged header in the box. Also agree the Barrow penalty looked dubious. Rovers had their luck too, with Hughes making the most of a defensive error to level and Jake's winner looked like it took a deflection. However, it sounds like we deserved the win overall.

He has clearly been watching Jurgen! See who he brings in with Norwood injured and Mangan ditched.

As an Evertonian, Brabin is more likely to look to Moyes/Martinez for inspiration...

In some ways, I'm unsure that the gap we have before our next game is a good thing, as it perhaps gives Brabin too much tinkering time. Don't know how long Norwood will be out with his appendix problems and neither of our strikers scored yesterday, so a recall for Margetts or the mooted target-man arriving. Jake Kirby deserves more pitch-time, the fact he had the confidence to go for goal at the end suggests he's developed with the time on loan and now needs a proper opportunity to prove himself at this level.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with Mal that their penalty should not have been given. It looked dubious at the time: the ref appeared to be unsighted and hesitated before making a decision, only pointing to the spot in response to the baying of their fans. Regarding the defending, their second and third goals both came on the counter-attack down our left hand side, which is perhaps a further indication that Matt Hill's legs have gone.

I thought Kirby's finish was actually the best of the three. He actually had quite a bit to do, beating a couple of men and firing a shot through bodies.

In reply to Boz, I think we had about 300-350 fans there in total. It has been amusing reading the comments of those who left at 3-1. They will probably remember the game more vividly than the ones who stayed.