• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

(B)eastleigh v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A trip to Hampshire for our final scheduled away game of the season and a slim chance of making the play-offs should we win.

I missed the home game, but it sounded like Rovers were unlucky, including a missed penalty after a lot of gamesmanship by their keeper and apparently a very cynical and niggly side. They do have money, probably one of the biggest playing budgets in the league. While leading scorer Constable is out, they do have Matt Tubbs on loan, a quality striker although he hasn't made much impact yet. That could all change with some benevolent defending from us.

The position for Rovers is clear, nothing less than a win will do. It seems our attacking options are limited, Fenwick has returned to Hartlepool, Margetts had a hip operation, so stuck pretty well with Norwood Higdon and GTF. I suspect, despite the poor showing v Wrexham, Higdon will still start. Unsure how the manager will shuffle the rest of the pack.

Prediction: It looks like a decent turnout from the SWA, guessing 400-500. Despite some decent form on the road, a draw is the best we'll manage here.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Eastleigh and Rovers are pretty closely matched in terms of ability and this game is incredibly difficult to call. The Spitfires are unbeaten in ten, but Rovers have lost only three times on their travels this season and have not been beaten away from home since 24th November. We are also unbeaten away from home against the top six sides and a Rovers victory would not surprise me.

Eastleigh were direct, physical and cynical in the reverse fixture and the state of their pitch is a concern. If the game is highly physical, with little football played, we might come off second best as we did at PP.

In terms of team selection, we have to be fairly adventurous. However, Mekki did not look fit last week and with Fenwick and Margetts unavailable, our attacking options are not great. My preference would be for GTF to start behind Norwood; surely Higdon will be dropped after his showing against Wrexham ? If Mekki is unavailable I think we need the energy of at least one of Kirby and Mackreth in the starting eleven.

I think Boz's estimate of the away numbers is about right, although there would have been more if Everton had not commandeered all the coaches in the North West of England for their defeat against Man Utd.

It is win or bust now Mr Brabin.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
After last week's showing, I'm hoping the manager and the team have the tactics and character to put on a show to make their loyal band of supporters proud. It's probably too late, but we can severely dent Eastleigh's chances by winning, as well as hope that Braintree crack under the pressure. Neither team can afford to draw, so I would expect a fairly open game - at least until someone scores. However, I have a feeling it will be a low-scoring draw

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I really do think Higdon will start as GB seems to really rate him. Might not be a bad call for a physical game but using this tactic usually results in a scrappy, edgy affair. It's hard to call really. I do think it will come down to who wants it more.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree with Ian that rightly or wrongly Higdon will start as he's one of GBs favourites but like RLC, I'd probably go with GTF behind Norwood for this one. As stated previously, its all very well starting with Higdon but 1) he needs to do more and 2) we need to play to his strengths.

At least we know what we have to do. Prediction: A late 1-0 defeat to end our season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
With what's at stake for this one, they are going to make this a horrible, scrappy, physical encounter. If we try and play football, we'll get murdered. A lot of these teams are battlers, it's doesn't matter if you have the better players, you have to dig in and dig deep. Higdon would do well here if he can actually be arsed. It's a big if though. Likewise, the team really has to be up for this one, they gotta be prepared to battle and like I said above, it's going to be down to who wants it more.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Think it will be a draw 1 1 and Braintree will get a draw at Wrexham all but ending our chances

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yessssssssss! Come on rovers !!

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Really didn't see that win coming. All credit to the boys.
So it goes to the final game.
Great result for Altrincham.
You never know....

Player
Manager
John King
Excellent effort from the lads and a deserved victory. Norwood was immense. If Braintree do make it then fair play to them. So frustrating that our home form will probably cost us in the end. At least we will have a little more excitement next week.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Agreed RLC.
Braintree have shrugged off a nasty spell and come good at the right time.
After their performance at PP it would be a travesty if Eastleigh grabbed that last spot.
You can't help thinking about the last two home games....we'd be home and hosed now.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The starting xi caused me to raise an eyebrow, but it sounds like a battling performance and some enforced and some tactical substitutions.

Player
Manager
John King
Starting eleven was too negative with players out of position, though first half was solid enough. Only really got going when mekki came on.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Last 4 games sum up our season:

Lose at home to Welling
Win at Torquay
Lose at home to Wrexham
Win at Eastleigh

Crazy really. Just seen the goal. Maynard showing his aerial prowess with the flick on and a cool finish from Norwood. Away form is a club record apparently so credit to GB and the lads for that but I'd rather not be at home to have to do it next Saturday.

At least we have a chance but can't see Braintree losing at home to Alty. But at least it shows there isn't perhaps too much wrong with the side if we finish 6th.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Irrespective of next week's result, today has probably saved Brabin's goose.
I'm not waiving in my apathy towards him but who would be a manager?
Lose two on the bounce at home the way that we did and and you're lynching fodder. And I was happy enough to hold the rope.
Magnificent performance today and you take no credit!
Do the majority of players have more affinity with him than we give credit?
It beats me.

drwhoman

Nice to get the win but it looks like we will just miss out unless Braintree implode next week. I remember saying a few weeks ago that they had a tough run in. They had and they have done well. We have underperformed and will most likely pay the price. However, the so near and yet so far syndrome will probably save Gary. I just hope that over the summer he takes some lessons in tactics and man management! He will need a bit more creativity in midfield, maybe some youthful enthusiasm and,if he is going to play a relatively static target man, to get people who can reach the byeline and cross a ball! The defence is probably ok if we can keep players.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I wish I'd been watching Rovers away this season rather than at home. Wouldn't have been as depressing.

Annoyingly, we'll probably win next week and so will Braintree.

GB won't be going anywhere.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Hopefully he'll see himself as escaping death row and take a long look at what's gone wrong.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I said a while ago, that if we still had a chance of the play-offs going into the final game, then Brabin should keep his job. However, it's hard not to feel that we've under-achieved, given the manner of some of the capitulations at PP.

If he does stay, he needs to go back and deliver on the promise of attractive attacking football at home. The idea of building a team around players who've done it all before should be ditched in favour of a more balanced side with some youth involved. Finally he needs to make an effort to get onboard with the fan-base; media and pr training, maybe actually setting up a Q&A with the supporters club, to make up for the one he couldn't do.

It wouldn't surprise me if Braintree lost to Alty, but Rovers fail to beat Grimsby.

Player
Liam Palmer
Given that the National League was a leap in the dark for us and we'd been losing for two-and-a-half seasons, I think we've done ok, nothing more. Some of the football at PP has been rotten indeed, but that's also down to some of the negative, time-wasting and blatant cheating (that's you FGR) not just our inabilities. It's not a ringing endorsement of Brabin and the players but maybe a bit of realism. If we don't go up this season I think we'll do it next year, based on the two clubs coming down look weak. Still think we might sneak in next week...