• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Aldershot v Tranmere (Play off semi-final first leg)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
1-1 in the Daggers - FGR game. Another intense one for them at the weekend!
I watched the game and although daggers were the better side, it was a scrappy affair. Neither side was exactly terrifying. Still not sure who I would rather face in the final.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Me neither. I think John Still is a more tactically astute manager than Cooper but the Forest Green players may make better use of Wembley's wide pitch.

Player
Manager
John King
Incidentally, FGR were awarded a penalty for a blatant dive. The referee ? One Anthony Coggins, who awarded a spot kick for a foul five yards outside the box in our game at Chester. Why he was given a play-off semi-final is anybody's guess.

drwhoman

Thanks for the input guys. If FGR make the final how many fans will they have there? Also, how experienced is their team? We have a large proportion of former FL players - do they? I am just thinking of the nerves factor on a big pitch with a biggish crowd, the larger proportion of which would be Rovers fans I imagine.

Player
Manager
John King
FGR have a lot of experience and are capable of 'managing' a victory, as they did at Prenton Park a few weeks ago. Dagenham are potentially more dangerous going forward, but are younger and more unpredictable. I would guess either club would take less than 10,000 fans to Wembley, FGR probably not even half that number.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
FGR are the most familiar team with NL play-offs, having reached the final last year and the semis two years ago. Some of the players are still there and this will motivate them.

Although I acknowledge that Dag & Red have the more experienced manager, I think I'd rather face them than FGR. As RLC says, their players are less inexperienced. Their defensive record this season is poor and they have been thrashed several times this season. However, both teams are dangerous and I don't think we can take anything for granted.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Either team, if (!) we get to Wembley, our support will be at least 3/1.
Much prefer FGR.
Bully boy team who will be found out on the open spaces that is the twin towers.
Their record in play off finals isn't down to bad luck.
Daggers can play decent football and they are more likely to trouble us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
1-1 in the Daggers - FGR game. Another intense one for them at the weekend!
Wasn't that impressed with either team. Few nerves possibly..

M

Mal

I still think Dagenham will edge it. Their away record was better than at home this season. There, FGR it is!

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Not the time for 'if only's...' but I can't be alone in recognising that if we'd replicated Wednesday nights result home and away in the league we might have been champions! The away game was back in September with Brabin in charge tbf.

M

Mal

Not the time for 'if only's...' but I can't be alone in recognising that if we'd replicated Wednesday nights result home and away in the league we might have been champions! The away game was back in September with Brabin in charge tbf.
If we had beaten Lincoln at home it would have been a real 6 pointer. And we would have been top.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
You can always wonder "what if?" If only we'd stuck with Ronnie, perhaps we'd still be in League One.

But sometimes bad things can have a good outcome. If we'd beaten Aldershot away in the league, then GB may have been reprieved and by the time he was sacked, Micky might not have been available. And if we had stayed in League One, would the Palioses have stepped in?

As things stand, I am pretty relaxed. We are a well-run, financially stable club on the way up. If we miss out this year, I'm confident we'll do it in 2018.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
You can always wonder "what if?" If only we'd stuck with Ronnie, perhaps we'd still be in League One.

But sometimes bad things can have a good outcome. If we'd beaten Aldershot away in the league, then GB may have been reprieved and by the time he was sacked, Micky might not have been available. And if we had stayed in League One, would the Palioses have stepped in?

As things stand, I am pretty relaxed. We are a well-run, financially stable club on the way up. If we miss out this year, I'm confident we'll do it in 2018.

Well said BBTC.
The club on and off the field now is unrecognisable to a few seasons ago.
Sometimes you have to lie in the gutter before things get better.
That's where we were until MP stepped in.
I actually feel the club is in better state of health generally than it has been for years.
Social media helps but there is definitely a real connection between club and fans at the moment.