• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Aldershot v Tranmere (Play off semi-final first leg)

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Perhaps the most complete performance of the season.

Solid at the back, immense in midfield, and clinical up front.

Credit to Cole showing all the people like me wanting Cook to start that we don't know what we're talking about!

One foot in the Wembley door...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Solid at the back, immense in midfield, and clinical up front
Spot on Sparky. Absolutely superb performance. In fact so good, we made them look very ordinary indeed.

Should be a great atmosphere for the 2nd leg.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Awesome performance, men against boys. Smothered them in midfield, defensively superb and always looked an attacking threat. Well done to MM who got the tactics absolutely spot on and at short notice. SWA were bouncing all night !

M

Mal

Another unbalanced bench 3 forwards and a winger. After Saturday would have though Gumbs might make sub.

Come on Rovers![/QUOTE

hindsight comment,

that is why Micky is the manager

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Jeez.....what a night!
Each and every player was up for it.
A few days grace and they all looked so much sharper.
Recall one counter attack in first half, one of their speedier players, over 30 yards and Hughes matched him and won the ball.
What a team performance.
Cole?...... terrific goal and I'm shortly shouting at him to jump for the ball, put himself about a bit more, etc.
Then... another great finish to shut me up.
Saturday will be rocking.
After the last couple of seasons we deserve it.
Wembley, assuming we don't blow it, will start the butterflies again.
But how nice...

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
So many performances to talk about but I'll give a mention to a
Wallace who generally hasn't been our favourite. Please he recovers well and can give us two more similar games (making assumptions for Saturday of course)

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Absolutely perfect result. Even a 1-0 win would have had me apprehensive as we might have been tempted to play defensively on Saturday. We can now play our natural game in the second leg in front of a bumper crowd, rewarding them for their patience and support.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Agree with ck about Wallace. He was like the player of five years ago in the second half, absolutely superb. Hughes was my mom though, immense.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Great away support for a NL side on a Wednesday evening. Well done to the nearly 900 who made the long journey.

You have to admire MM. He got it right resting everyone on Saturday, but most of all his persistence in selecting Cole Stockton ahead of his leading scorer. I think we now have to accept Cole is our number one striker. Hopefully he'll sign a new deal.

BTW, the OS says we played 4-3-3. Who played where?

Last edited:

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
And a word for the ref. He was spot on. Difficult game for him, play offs, on TV, bad weather etc, but he was great. Put his name down for Wembley please!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Micky's judgement on tactics was spot on.

However, it's a higher risk strategy not to have any defensive/midfield option on the bench, particularly in away games where there's more defending to be done, if a defender gets injured or sent off. It's come back to bite us at least once this season. Fortunately that didn't arise last night, but assuming we finish the tie off on Saturday, I'd say the same about the Wembley line-up.

A reply to Mal as the quotes don't appear to be working on here atm

Last edited:
M

Mal

Micky's judgement on tactics was spot on.

However, it's a higher risk strategy not to have any defensive/midfield option on the bench, particularly in away games where there's more defending to be done, if a defender gets injured or sent off. It's come back to bite us at least once this season. Fortunately that didn't arise last night, but assuming we finish the tie off on Saturday, I'd say the same about the Wembley line-up.

A reply to Mal as the quotes don't appear to be working on here atm

reply to Boz, I understand your point, I did put a smiley but the quotes and emojis dont seem to work. I think Gumbs should be in the bench on Saturday, for at least a run out Las 30 mins if we are 2 0 up or so.

Reactions: Boz
M

Mal

And a word for the ref. He was spot on. Difficult game for him, play offs, on TV, bad weather etc, but he was great. Put his name down for Wembley please!
i agree "cowshed kid', the referee was tolerant of tackles in very wet conditions and helped keep the flow.

it is sad that nowadays players have to be tested for presence of "simulants" sic