• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Aldershot v Tranmere (Play off semi-final first leg)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought I would get this one going early, as this is a match we are all rather excited about.

Aldershot were one of the better attacking sides to visit Prenton Park and are in excellent form, with only one defeat in twenty one matches. However, Rovers have actually had a stronger second half of the season, bettering even Lincoln's performance since January.

Micky has a massive decision to make regarding the starting formation, probably his biggest since he became manager. Does he stick with the 352, with someone played out of position as right wing back, or does he change the shape ? Personally I would do the latter. In the league game at Prenton Park Aldershot caused us problems through the middle of the pitch, so I think we will need bodies in midfield to stifle Benyu and their other creative players. I would go for a 4312 formation as follows:

Davies
Buxton McNulty Ihiekwe Ridehalgh
Wallace Maynard Hughes
Jennings
Cook Norwood

My gut feeling is that Mellon will start with Stockton, but I think he tends to be anonymous away from home and we need Cook's physical presence and hold up play on Wednesday.

I won't hazard a guess at the outcome, as the teams are so closely matched. However, if we can take a draw back to Prenton Park I will be delighted. I am still scarred by the memory of the Swindon and Reading play-offs when we were effectively out of the tie in the first half of the first leg.

Six coaches are booked already and over six hundred tickets sold, so we will certainly have a great following.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I was just looking at the league table and they've only lost one more than us, have the best defence in the league and if they had converted more of their draws into wins, they'd have finished with an impressive points total. However they have scored the least out the four to play but we know how dangerous they are on the attack.

Like RLC says, we need to stifle their midfield and make it difficult for them to play through the middle. Im more concerned about the home leg than the away one as we are usually very solid and don't concede much on our travels.

Those Swindon and Reading playoffs certainly are replying in the back of my mind. Maybe its a good thing we are away from home first!

I've got a feeling MM will stick with the 352 as its been so successful in recent weeks.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Like RLC I think there is a case for putting extra bodies in midfield given how dangerous Aldershot were in that department. However despite Vaughans injury I think he'll stick with 5-3-2/3-5-2 and either put Buxton at RB and Maynard in the middle or more likely, vice Versa. Too big a game to bring Gumbs in you would think. If it is that formation, Connor J may have to drop a bit deeper at times to help out Hughes and Wallace, particularly if they are tiring late on against the shots energetic and mobile midfield.

Just as interesting is whether Cook or Cole will start. I agree Cook is the better option particularly away from home and offers more at set pieces in what could be a very tight game. Despite Norwoods good form of late, Andy to me is still our best striker. It'll be interesting as both Cook and Cole have started games recently and there has been talk of resting cookie. But whoever starts must clearly be MMS current first choice to partner Norwood.

Prediction. I'm not confident but just hope we're still in the tie on Saturday.

Player
Manager
John King
I think he'll stick with 5-3-2/3-5-2 and either put Buxton at RB and Maynard in the middle or more likely, vice Versa.

I agree that he will probably go with Maynard as right wing back. My worry is that Hughes and Wallace will get overrun if Lois does not play in front of the defence, but we would at least have the option of switching Maynard to midfield and reverting to a back four if we struggle.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's curious that their defensive record is so good as that seemed to be the area where they were weakest at PP and from what I remember of the reports from Hampshire we tested them quite a bit before caving in at the end. They looked really dangerous on the attack at PP.

I'd agree that we need to avoid past failings in the play-offs in terms of being pretty well out of it after the first leg. As Swindon was away and Reading at home, I don't read too much into the trip to The Recreation Ground being first.

Don't know what the current state of Maynard's fitness is, if he were unavailable, that would involve a re-jig of RLCs line-up . It is a difficult decision but it wouldn't surprise me to see Micky stick with 352 like Ian says. Agree with Cook before Stockton for the away leg.

It's the same ref, Craig Hicks, who did our home defeat to Forest Green. From what I read he erred on the side of leniency in that game, a similar approach would at least mean we weren't missing any key players through suspension for the return.

I would have no qualms playing Gumbs as one of a back three, but don't see Buxton as a wing-back and have doubts about a less than fully fit Maynard in that role.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A great debate on systems and players, but it will all depend on who's fit and able to last the 90 minutes. MM will best know that. I would hope Wallace, Hughes and Maynard are 100% or we will struggle. We can't risk an unbalanced bench for the first leg and I'd name Turner, Gumbs, Mekki, Dunn and Stockton/Cook.

I am gutted I can't be there as I can't let down my clients.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
My worry is that Hughes and Wallace will get overrun if Lois does not play in front of the defence
That is a big worry now that Wallace is back in the side. Harris would have been perfect for this game biting at the heels. Wallace can play a good game if he has time and space but that's unlikely.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I think we're all a bit twitchy. Shots media are playing it down somewhat, alleging all the pressure is on us. I think they're probably right.
That tide will turn though if we can come home with defeat avoided.
I'm dreading an early Shots goal which will then see them swarming all over us.
Hoping to watch in Gallagher's provided the screens haven't been bagged for that insignificant Champions League game. If not, quick taxi to Aldo's!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, getting a but nervy now. I think the first 10-15 minutes might be a bit hairy but once we settle down into our game, we'll cause them problems. Hope the players are up for it!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'll be in a meeting tonight hoping nobody notices me looking at my phone. We all need to realise that it's "a game of four halves" so patience is the key. Playing at home is not always an advantage. Last year's semi-final between Braintree and Grimsby is a case in point as is our Trophy defeat at home to Macclesfield. If we take our chances, we'll win over the two legs.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Another unbalanced bench 3 forwards and a winger. After Saturday would have though Gumbs might make sub.

Come on Rovers!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yesssssssssss

Player
Manager
John King
Better side in the first half and we have got it spot in tactically so far with the five man midfield. Hope it continues.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The radio commentary has flagged some issues with our marking, which gave the Shots a few chances towards the end of the half. Hopefully Micky and Jacko can address this at h/t

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
2-0. Norwood won't score an easier goal. Fantastic. Keep going Rovers !

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm a bit lost for words..