• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Aldershot v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
After a mini run of matches we were expected to win, this Saturday offers a tougher assignment with rovers on the road to 5th place Aldershot.

The shots are managed by ex QPR defender & Wycombe manager Gary Waddock and have started the season well. Ex rovers loanee Shamir Fenelon leads the attack and has a couple of goals. Matt McClure adds some steel up front too. They have won 3 out of 3 home games scoring 5 and conceding zero, including a 2-0 win against Wrexham.

Much has been said about our lack of goals against some of the poorer sides and the merits of wins by a narrow margin. Saturday may be the test to see if our lack of goals will go against us against a decent attacking side. That said, I'd take another 1-0 win thank you very much.

As for the line up, I expect the same 11. GB was positive about the performances of Ridehalgh and Hughes so expect them to stay in their positions. I'd still prefer Maynard in the middle where he has done so well since the start of the season but expect him at RB ahead of Vaughan. Would be nice for Connor Jennings to get a goal as I get the impression he's a bit frustrated at the moment....

With Lincoln to come up next, rovers early promotion credentials will have their first real test, aside from Eastleigh a few weeks ago.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Could be a tricky game this but fancy us to win 1 0

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Probably our toughest game of the season so far. Aldershot have improved massively under Gary Waddock, who won this division with 102 points in his previous spell at the club. In addition to the players Sparky mentions, the Shots have Scott Rendell who has been prolific at this level. However, this is the kind of game where our tactics (usually) come into their own, as we won't open out and go gung-ho and it may be Aldershot who end up the more frustrated of the two sides.

I expect an unchanged eleven and hope we play with a bit more spark after a couple of jaded performances. We are well capable of winning the game, but a point keeps us top and I would just about take it.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Tough game. However our away form is superb so I'm going for a sneaky 2-1 win.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Given all that's been said, I'd take a draw. If we can remain unbeaten after the next two games, I'll be content. Anything better would be massive for the confidence of the team and the SWA.

Player
Nevin
I'm hoping for a draw. Our last few performances looked fatigued and the manager doesn't appear to want to rotate the squad even a little bit. Our defence looks solid and I can't see us conceding more than one and we still have three good goalscorers so I'm predicting a 1-1.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
As mentioned in another thread, our defence I would say is the best in the league. We don't concede many goals.

So as long as we keep scoring a couple a game we won't be facing many defeats at all.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I think we can contain them and possibly score at least two (possibly counter attack) if we get going. Going for 3-1 for SWA. Although I would settle for a draw, but a win would be great bonus going into Lincoln game.

M

Mal

For some reason , I have 0-0 in my mind, which would still leave Tranmere top. However, based on my Southport prediction..... I just feel that there is more resilience in this season's team.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hard game to call. Agree Brabin will select the same starting xi as Guiseley and I think it's a better fit for this game. Our opponents are also significantly improved after last season's 0-0, with Higdon making a debut. I think the Shots will definitely score in this, so can we match them, exceed them or will the curse of the Manager of the Month award strike and we come away with nothing...

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
Well for the first time the season I've included Tranmere in my coupon which means we are bound to lose! I've got them with Forest Green and Doncaster so here's hoping!

Seriously though, I think we will win this 2-1 today. Our squad is too good not to win and if we play our passing game rather than hoof ball we will create chances. From reading their forum there are fears they have a few injuries so hopefully that will serve us well!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Poor start..

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Powerful header by Cook 1-1.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
3-1 game over.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Perhaps not a massive surprise given our laboured at times performance last Monday and aldershots home form. Disappointing we got to 1-1 but ended up losing.

Their second was a penalty and third a wonder goal apparently

Subs with 5 mins to go sounded too little too late. You wonder whether Maynard should have played in defensive midfield instead of rB but will await any reports.

Player
Manager
John King
An improved performance which merited at least a point. The game turned on the penalty and we had the better chances up until then. We were the better side for long periods and the scoreline flatters Aldershot. Their second goal was from the spot, their third from a corner straight after. No need to panic.

M

Mal

An improved performance which merited at least a point. The game turned on the penalty and we had the better chances up until then. We were the better side for long periods and the scoreline flatters Aldershot. Their second goal was from the spot, their third from a corner straight after. No need to panic.
thank goodness for some sanity. The "don't post unless we lose" brigade are out in force on other sites. The end of the world is nigh apparently. It sounded positive on the radio.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It sounded like we had a lot if the ball on the second half but didn't do anything with it.

Player
Manager
John King
It sounded like we had a lot if the ball on the second half but didn't do anything with it.
We had the best two chances of the half before the penalty. Aldershot did not have a shot in open play after half time. At seventy minutes I could not see them scoring and we deserved at least a point over the ninety minutes. They are not a bad side, you can't avoid defeat in every away game.