• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Adam Dawson

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Plenty of good balls into the box in this footage. I rest my case.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Does it really matter? Let's just see how he does under MM and we can look at his contribution at the end of the season.
Probably not, but for argument's sake... I agree that the time to judge Adam Dawson is at the end of the season, but my expectations are not as high as other posters on here.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
What has happened to Adam Dawson? Plays a part in the late winner v York, yet doesn't even make the bench at Wrexham or since. Seemingly behind Adam Mekki in the pecking order. While I've always had my doubts, given the enthusiasm MM expressed at his signing and the length of contract awarded, it is surprising he's featured so infrequently. Any clues as to why he's fallen off the radar?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm scratching my head too Boz. I watched him before kick off yesterday practicing free kicks and then it dawned on me he wasn't on the bench. Felt a bit sorry for him!

I'm a big fan but suspect MM doesn't think Adam can be effective in the diamond. I can't moan too much as we won again yesterday but to have Kirby ahead of him who offers nothing expect running around a bit is madness but as I say, whilst we're winning we can't complain too much.

Player
Manager
John King
What has happened to him ? Nothing at all. He has an eighteen month contract and is still in Mellon's plans. You might as well ask, 'what has happened to Steve Jennings and Jay Harris ?'.

We have a big squad now and not every player will feature in every game. Harris did not even make the bench yesterday. I also see no evidence that he is behind Mekki in the pecking order as they both warmed up with the squad yesterday.

The same comments were being made about Wallace a week ago. We had two wide players on the pitch yesterday and at Lincoln, which is why Mellon probably felt he did not need Dawson. If / when we get injuries or suspensions, or there is loss of form, Adam's time will come.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I understand the bigger squad means not everyone plays every game. Thought Harris' absence was down to injury, while Steve Jennings just returning after an operation. Think there would have been more options yesterday with one of Dawson or Mekki on the bench at the expense of Steve Jennings. As for the hierarchy, my thoughts were based on Mekki making the trip to Lincoln.

There are two drawbacks to a larger squad, the impact on morale through lack of opportunities and the lesser match fitness from infrequent game time. There are clearly significant benefits too, but not sure MM's quite got the balance right yet.

Player
Manager
John King
not sure MM's quite got the balance right yet.

Results suggest he has.

Thirteen games, ten wins, two draws, one defeat.

I know we can nitpick over why player x was on the bench instead of player y, but ultimately Mellon sees the players every day in training and knows their current state of form and fitness. If he dropped Cook as Brabin did I would be alarmed, but there has been nothing outlandish in his selections so far.

Player
Manager
John King
I have just watched MM's post match interview and it is interesting that he talks at some length about this subject, emphasising that all of the squad are on the pitch before the game to keep them involved and preserve team spirit. He also emphasised that his choice of substitutes is tailored to the requirements of the individual game.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I hadn't realised this, RLC. Is this just for home games or does he take the whole squad in the coach to away matches too? Clearly MM has thought this through and his man-management and attention to detail is something we are not used to seeing in a Rovers boss. Let's hope that next season he doesn't have this problem as we are in a league where seven subs are allowed.

Player
Manager
John King
I think a squad of 18, or however many are fit, travel to the away matches too. I have certainly seen players not in the first sixteen warming up at away games.

To be honest, I think this practice may have started under Brabin.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm not disputing that Micky has got the starting line ups mainly right or made early adjustments if not. However sometimes the choice of subs has been one which has perhaps limited our options. There may be good reason why certain individuals haven't made the bench, but from the outside it's not easy to follow the reasoning

M

Mal

guess that is why we are "on the outside" ;0) micky sees them in training and works with them most days. He also tries to adapt to the opposition.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sounds like Man Utd are having a similar issue with Luke Shaw that we're having with Dawson. Yes a talented player, but the manager openly questioning his attitude and focus.

Player
Backayogo
It would appear that there are 'issues' with Dawson. Initially it was said or suggested that there was domestic problems. Whatever the problem it goes to show that you never know what goes on. Footballers are human like the rest of us.

drwhoman

Interesting about Luke Shaw. I knew his landlady when he was at Southampton and she said what a nice young man he was. Maybe a switch to Utd too early and a bad injury did not help. A really good player on his day. Mind you getting on with Jose cannot be easy!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mourinho has form for irrational dislikes of certain players, think Mata and Schweinsteiger. I don't think Luke Shaw has been handled as well as he could and singling out players for public criticism rarely works. However if we're comparing England internationals with Rovers players, how does Micky's treatment of Mitch Duggan compare with Koeman's of Ross Barkley...:)