• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

2018/19 - 10 games in

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
With 10 / 11 games played the table is starting to take shape. If you look at our stats in comparison to those around us, we're hard to beat but our lack of goals means we're getting too many draws and not enough wins. We have the joint lowest goals scored in the top half.

Hopefully this is a fair reflection of how the season will pan out for us and the teams around us, with a bit of luck we will be in or around the play-offs come the end of the season.

FGR the only unbeaten side but with 7 draws, hopefully this is just a blip and they will find their rightful place near the bottom.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I prefer to see a safe, steady start (as we've had) than one where we're either handing out or being on the receiving end of a whalloping.
I think we've been tremendous by and large, very comfortable in our new surroundings.

Player
aldo
its been a good start . and its great to us competing . but we need some of the other boys to start getting goals . will be interesting on saturday think mullin will be up top think the team that finished tuesday will be the one for sat.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We are more than holding our own. No team has thrashed us yet and the only real blip has been Newport. We have played a lot of promotion chasing teams and not many at the bottom. Defensively we are good, but in attack only average for the division. Lincoln was by far our best result of the season and shows the skill and spirit there is in the side. We don't need to improve by much to get into the play-offs - just convert a few draws into wins.

Player
ian goodison
i,m made up with the start we,ve had couple of hiccups but we appear to be holding our own, apart from Lincoln all the other teams seem capable of beating each other, made up just to be back in the league

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A very solid start to the season so far, we clearly need more goals from elsewhere and not just relying on Norwood but I think we can challenge towards the top end of the table, the standard isn't that high from what I have seen so far in the home games

Reactions: joe
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think it has been an excellent start when you consider we are not one of the financial big-hitters at this level at the moment. I think Mellon has done a fantastic job to make us organised and resilient, while still playing a decent brand of football.

drwhoman

I have been pleasantly surprised with how well we have done given that a number of players had not been tested at this level. If only Cook had not left. I suspect that he may end up having regrets but there we are. I see Norburn scored for Shrewsbury the other week. At least we do not appear to miss him. Hope we can keep hold of McCullough in January.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Rovers have done better than I expected. L2 has been a bit tighter than anticipated, due to some of the expected promotion favourites, Milton Keynes and Mansfield for example, not starting well. In the right circumstances, the play-offs are not beyond us, but would depend on a lot of balls falling into place. We haven't really replaced Cook up front, don't know why he's fallen out of favour at Walsall, but his start there showed he's capable of playing at that level. A big decision needed regarding Norwood if a new deal isn't signed; cash in now or most likely see him leave on a free in the summer. Unlike dr whoman, my feeling is there are components of Norburn's game which nobody in the current squad offers.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Boz, I would keep Norwood at the club all this season even if he does not sign a new contract as he is the key to our season no matter how it may turn out

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Boz, I would keep Norwood at the club all this season even if he does not sign a new contract as he is the key to our season no matter how it may turn out

If he doesn't sign and we get a sensible offer, I'm not convinced that we will be able to reject it. Rejecting, say, a 400k offer (realistic?) in the transfer window with 20 games left is the equivalent of paying somebody 20k a match. I can't imagine that this would happen. Surely we would cash in and take a longer term view?

Player
Manager
John King
If he doesn't sign and we get a sensible offer, I'm not convinced that we will be able to reject it. Rejecting, say, a 400k offer (realistic?) in the transfer window with 20 games left is the equivalent of paying somebody 20k a match. I can't imagine that this would happen. Surely we would cash in and take a longer term view?
I think it depends on the context. If we are still floating round mid-table in January, losing Norwood could see us dragged into a relegation battle given the weakness of our other forwards. The margins are quite small in this division. Relegation back to the NL would certainly cost us more than 400,000 pounds.

Alternatively, if we are in the thick of the promotion race, would Palios want to effectively end our chances of promotion, and the obvious financial benefits that going up (or even just getting to Wembley in a play-off final) would bring ?

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I agree that either way it would be a tough call. Fingers crossed that we are still within striking distance in January and Nors decides the best way of progressing his career is to sign on the dotted line. I think we are due one going our way after the summer departures!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree that it's a difficult judgement call re Norwood. The only way I could see him signing a new deal is if we are in a much better position in January or there is confirmation of some quality additions to the squad in the window, such that Rovers look strong promotion contenders rather than an outside bet. Nors wants to play at a higher level and if not achievable with Rovers, he'll move on.

We'll be better placed after tomorrow to judge whether we're a one man band up front and how much of a risk to our FL status losing Norwood could be.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The Cook situation at Walsall is one to keep an eye on. He started ok at Walsall. I think he has 4/5 goals in total altho one was a tap in after his penalty was saved and the other a rebound after a keeper hit a clearance against him.

He was dropped for a couple of games but started midweek in their 0-0 draw at home to Shrews. Will be interesting how it progresses.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We'll be better placed after tomorrow to judge whether we're a one man band up front
I think it's fairly clear that there is only one man that's going to get us goals this season. As much as you put on the other forwards, they aren't goalscorers like Norwood. Cook would have made such a difference to our season and I would say the difference between a top six side and a mid table team. He hasn't been replaced suitably and the difference in quality is clear to see unless you still think Stockton has something to offer.

Having said all that, we've had an excellent start to the season and the new recruits have also fitted in nicely. Defence has been immense with Manny and McNulty in the centre. Banks and McCullogh bring great quality in midfield and obviously Norwood has been providng the goals. They've stepped up a notch and of course we also threw away three points against Swindon which would have seen us placed even higher.

Player
Manager
John King
Cook would have made such a difference to our season and I would say the difference between a top six side and a mid table team..
I agree.

As Micky hinted in his interview on Tuesday, January is going to be a massive month for us. If we can't keep hold of Smith, McCullough and Gilmour the loss of quality will be quite dramatic, regardless of what happens with Norwood.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
i think a lot would have to go wrong for us to get relegated again, even if Norwood was sold in January. But it might tip confidence in the wrong direction throughout the Tranmere family. So unless a massive bid comes in (most unlikely), we'd be best to hang onto him and the three loanees. If we can actually improve the squad, then so much the better. Aiming for promotion is worth a go. The worst that can happen is a noble failure. To have tried and failed would be acceptable to the fans. To have cashed in on our prize asset while we still have a chance would be unforgivable.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
I think it’s a given that the transfer window will be key for obvious reasons. As for tomorrow... I’d like to see Gilmour in & Jennings square behind... Mullin? So we learn of Stockton’s op too! No issue with Ryan or the Italian on the bench! Yeah, tight draw or narrow win...