• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v macc

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
McCulloch is a quality player and could see an argument for MoM, where Buxton and the central defenders were also in contention. However, I wonder if Banks’ dip in form is partly due to now having the responsibility for more of the attacking/creative work in midfield than when he was paired with Harris

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Having watched the highlights, I think Banks played really well for periods of the game. He faded in the phases when the team as a whole struggled. His strength is as a creative player, so I don't see why having responsibility in that regard would cause a dip in form.

I think he and McCullough are our best midfield pairing and complement each other well, with Luke acting as the water-carrier and Ollie as the creator. They are both ably assisted by Gilmour now of course, which takes some of the workload off of them.

Last edited:
Player
ian goodison
just seen the goal on tv and have only realised the part CJ played great skill & persistence great effort

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Having watched the highlights, I think Banks played really well for periods of the game. He faded in the phases when the team as a whole struggled. His strength is as a creative player, so I don't see why having responsibility in that regard would cause a dip in form.

I think he and McCullough are our best midfield pairing and complement each other well, with Luke acting as the water-carrier and Ollie as the creator. They are both ably assisted by Gilmour now of course, which takes some of the workload off of them.

I thought Banks played well on Friday, his touch to bring the ball under control several times was outstanding

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree that Banks had a reasonable game and there were some quality moves initiated by him. Personally don’t think Ollie is quite at the same pinnacle that he started the season, and thought playing with a more consistently deep sitting partner in McCulloch might be a factor. There may be others. While I agree the Banks-McCulloch combo is our best central midfield pairing, it’s early days and a spot of fine tuning and increased familiarity may improve it further.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
How long is McCullogh with us for ?

joe

The consequences that Micky spoke about after the Shrewsbury debacle was the reason there were 6 subs. Sending a message out.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The consequences that Micky spoke about after the Shrewsbury debacle was the reason there were 6 subs. Sending a message out.
I’ve read an alternative explanation that the lack of home grown players meant we could only use 6 subs. Presume the likes of Spellman were needed for a youth game in the morning, if that’s correct.

Player
Manager
John King
I’ve read an alternative explanation that the lack of home grown players meant we could only use 6 subs. Presume the likes of Spellman were needed for a youth game in the morning, if that’s correct.
Yes, Micky confirmed this was the reason in his interview.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
my first game for some time...

liked the look of mcculloch and especially banks. felt norwood was very isolated, which made it hard for us to retain possession in their half. and as a result we welcomed rather more pressure than was probably necessary against such a poor side - conceding 8 shots at home isn't great. attack is the best form of defence and all that.

atmosphere in the kop was fantastic, i was really quite taken aback by it

Player
Manager
John King

liked the look of mcculloch and especially banks. felt norwood was very isolated, which made it hard for us to retain possession in their half. and as a result we welcomed rather more pressure than was probably necessary against such a poor side - conceding 8 shots at home isn't great. attack is the best form of defence and all that.

Good to have you back. What prompted your return ?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson

Welcome back. What have you been up to? I think your last post was when we were still in League One. ;)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
A blast from the past! Welcome back.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
thanks everyone. change of career has had me working away most weekends and some midweek evenings, so i've only been able to sporadically make it to games, often away from home. when you only get to make the odd game it's actually more frustrating than not going at all to be honest. anyway that's all set to change so hopefully i'll be at most of our remaining games this season, although can't make crawley sadly.