• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Jennings is the best one though. Tollitt is a better player, but not in that role.

Player
aldo
When tollitt is back and fit . Gonna be fun with him and clark running at defences . Just hpoe this time they dont rush him back this time. As theres no need to rush him

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Great news regarding Ollie Banks staying for another month after having his loan extended. It would be even better if we could get him for the rest of the season but getting him for the extra month is a step in the right direction.

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with Frenchrover’s sentiments re Banks. Good to have him over the busy festive schedule.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Great news indeed. I've been impressed with him and along with Norburn, Harris and Hughes we have a decent midfield, with back up from Duggan.

You wonder whether his wages are being subsidised by Alabi, mangan and Waring all being out on loan. Given none of them have set the world alight, wouldn't surprise me if they all came back whenever their loans expire - altho mangan has played quite a bit in some decent Fylde league form of late

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Some interesting goings on at Peterborough this week.

That little weasel Danny Lloyd who scored the hat trick against us in the cup has been transfer listed. Ex Dover striker Ricky Miller is also available for transfer. Let's hope none of our national league rivals snap up either of them.

Cook still linked with a possible move to Lincoln in January. Can we not offer him a new deal? Although doubt he would sign it

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sparky, where is this link to Cook going coming from? Or is it all rumours?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just rumours Ian from a few places but as RLC says, I can't see us selling him

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
He showed what makes him special yesterday and had a real positive attitude. Great player at this level, but I'm not surprised L2 clubs want him. Fear we might lose him, Pilling and Clarke in the summer. All must have been offered deals by now.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Although we are all still euphoric after yesterday's win, there are some potential dark clouds on the horizon. Our upturn in form has been in no small part due to DMH and Banks but their loans expire in the next month or so.

We are not certain their parent clubs are happy for them to stay here, but even if they are, we might not be able to afford to keep them. We brought them in with the money saved on the salaries of Mangan, Alabi and Waring, but none of those three have pulled up trees at their respective clubs and they might all be sent back in a few weeks. If that happens, we will be in a bit of a predicament. The financial constraints have not gone away.

There are some interesting discussions to be had in the next month or so.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Absolutely RLC. Not sure how viable this is but we really need to keep the team we have now together for as long as we can.

Mangan, Alabi and Waring certainly won’t improve us and is really no great surprise they aren’t pulling up trees elsewhere.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I dont think we are paying any of Banks's wages think it I a favour to Micky

drwhoman

You have to give Mickey credit for realising so quickly that the signing of Alabi and Waring had been a wrong move. I suppose Rovers will try and loan them out again if sent back. I agree with RLC that Oldham are unlikely to have given us Banks for nothing. I think Cole is only signed until Jan? Maybe he will not be extended? Depends on his commitment in training I suppose. Now Kirby appears to be close to fitness and Tollitt a month or so away (?) then maybe losing DMH might not be desperate. Also, McDonough will probably be sent back.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There is quite a lot to think about here.

Of the trio BBTC names, Cook is more benefit to us staying until the end of the season and running his contract down. Pilling may move on, as his chances are limited, both he and Davies out of contract at the end of the season. Clarke is destined for better things but think we might get another year out of him.

I would like to keep DMH for the rest of the season, don’t know how feasible that is. He offers more defensively than Tollitt and it’s unlikely Ben will be fully match fit for a while. Banks is a better version of Jeff Hughes, but with the latter now fit, he may be seen as a bit of a luxury.

Of the players Ian mentions, it doesn’t look like Mangan or Alabi have appear to have much future at the club and agree that McDonough should go back. Waring is a player, MM has worked with previously, haven’t seen enough of him to know whether he could take advantage of the better balls we’re currently getting from out wide.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
DMH has posted what appears to be a farewell to the SWA on Twitter. With Rokka out on loan this means we've lost some real pace for the weeks and months ahead. Can't rely on Tollit yet but it may be impacted by either 1. Barnsley wanting him back or 2. None of Dover etc wanting to keep the strikers we have out on loan hence we can't afford Dylan's wages anymore.

Apparently his last game may be Fylde away. A real shame if true. Far from the finished article but did a good job for us.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
DMH tweet suggesting that his stay at Tranmere coming to an end. I'm unsure exactly when his loan finishes, but the timing of the tweet raises the question of whether he'll be playing v Guiseley. Dylan has been instrumental in turning our season round and while my preference is for him wide right, he's made a decent stab at the wing-back role.

No inside knowledge re Dylan, but the wages of youth players on loan from a league club are usually subsidised, if not paid in full by the parent club, so guessing not the wage issue. It's most likely that either Barnsley want to take another look at him or have a loan deal higher up the pyramid lined up.

It does raise the issue of how we fill the gap. Tollitt is at least a month away from a comeback. Rokka is out on loan and hasn't shown enough yet. Buxton and Duggan aren't really wing-backs and we haven't had any updates on when Mitch will be fit. It would be a shame for Connor Jennings to be moved out wide, after his recent success playing more centrally. Cole, Kirby, Dunn and Green are predominantly used on the left and it's hard to see any of them doing as good a job.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
DMH tweet suggesting that his stay at Tranmere coming to an end. I'm unsure exactly when his loan finishes, but the timing of the tweet raises the question of whether he'll be playing v Guiseley. Dylan has been instrumental in turning our season round and while my preference is for him wide right, he's made a decent stab at the wing-back role.

No inside knowledge re Dylan, but the wages of youth players on loan from a league club are usually subsidised, if not paid in full by the parent club, so guessing not the wage issue. It's most likely that either Barnsley want to take another look at him or have a loan deal higher up the pyramid lined up.

It does raise the issue of how we fill the gap. Tollitt is at least a month away from a comeback. Rokka is out on loan and hasn't shown enough yet. Buxton and Duggan aren't really wing-backs and we haven't had any updates on when Mitch will be fit. It would be a shame for Connor Jennings to be moved out wide, after his recent success playing more centrally. Cole, Kirby, Dunn and Green are predominantly used on the left and it's hard to see any of them doing as good a job.
I expect that we have been a victim of DMH's success and Barnsley have better things planned for him. It's a shame for us, but I wonder whether letting him stay until the end of the season would have been best for his own development. It must be an education for a young footballer to play in the first team in a promotion scrap.

If he goes, he'll take some replacing. Let's assume he can't be replaced. If so, I think we need to look at Cole, Kirby, Dunn and Green on the right until Tollitt returns, which can't be far away.