• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Heed v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I didn’t think it was the worst performance that I’ve seen this season and we probably were worth a point, but things just didn’t seem to click on a frustrating day. Their goal came after a decent attacking spell by Rovers, where Banks was in a good position, but delayed taking a shot, then tried to pass the ball, which went out for a goal-kick and Gateshead were able to reach the last third without any closing down at all. The goal came initially from a cross from their left, would need to see again before apportioning blame.

There were a few players who were below par today. Norwood was very selfish, going for glory rather than releasing the ball on a couple of occasions, Davies seemed very nervy, Cook fairly quiet and DMH seemed to operate further from the touch line than normal, with less effect. He is a 90 minute player, so unless he’d picked up a knock, it was a surprise to see him taken off and Devarn Green did less tracking back. My inclination would have been to take Cole off, as he seemed to be tiring. While we clearly missed the absentees in midfield, our demise here cannot just be pinned to that.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Listening to MM after the game he said he couldnt fault the players at all. Obviously with the only criticism being the ball didn’t hit the back of the net.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Probably had only about 3 decent chances in the game, it was more like the Dover game than the Chester one. The Heed weren’t any better, most of their shots being wildly off target and don’t think they’d have scored without our help.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Now is not the time to barrack MM. As at the end of last season, our midfield is threadbare. Let's wait for some of the missing players to return. However, for any team to win something it normally requires one or two heroic performances against the odds. We haven't seen one for ages, just a grinding out of results.

Just to make you all feel really good, if we had got the same results this season as for the corresponding games last season, we would be topping the table seven points clear! That's how far we've slipped. And if we return to last season's form from now on, matching last year's results, we will end up with just 78 points. This might just be enough to get us 6th or 7th place. So, realistically I think a massive improvement is needed for promotion and I can't see it happening for a variety of reasons.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think 78 points would comfortably get us in the play offs this season. However, even with our recent upturn in form we have not narrowed the gap to the top seven.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The season is going from bad to worse results wise, instead of the much anticipated title challenge we are struggling to get near to the play offs at the moment. The attempts at squad building have been very poor indeed, players brought in getting little game time then loaned out, I think we are going to be stuck in this league for at least another season

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Have seen the goal again, though the highlights don’t show the ease with which the ball was able to reach the edge of our area. Gumbs was deceived by a feint before the ball was pulled back and crossed. The ball lands in a fairly crowded penalty area. There’s been some criticism of the keeper but I’d say too far away to expect Davies to go for it and it’s an unfortunate og. We’re not having the luck atm, while we have scored two injury time winners, they were in games we deserved to win in any event.

M

Mal

I have simply set sights on 7th place and winning the playoff final. By then the majority of injured players will be back up and running.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I have simply set sights on 7th place and winning the playoff final. By then the majority of injured players will be back up and running.
I hope you are right, Mal, but I see two problems with this. If we finish seventh, we must win two away games plus the Wembley final. At the moment we are struggling even to score away from home, never mind win. You are also assuming that no more injuries occur. :(