• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Mellon's recruitment has been poor, it is as simple as that. Of all the managers we have had since palios arrived only brabin had a reasonable strike rate, which actually suggests to me that the chairman and those around him have no real role in recruitment.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Mellon's recruitment has been poor, it is as simple as that. Of all the managers we have had since palios arrived only brabin had a reasonable strike rate, which actually suggests to me that the chairman and those around him have no real role in recruitment.
You wonder who is responsible for recruitment strategy and player acquisition. Is it the manager, the Head of Recruitment (Lee Jones) or a combination?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Don’t know the answer to who is responsible for recruiting, but would expect the manager to identify areas where the side needs strengthening and to have the final say on who is brought in.

Archer may be an unmissable bargain, it’s too early to say. Until his fitness is at a suitable level for him to get match time we won’t know.

Waring, who hasn’t scored in 3 years was a bit of a gamble especially on a 2 year deal. Alabi arguably wasn’t needed with 4 strikers on the books and a couple of others who can play up front, but his record with Chester was encouraging. The McDonagh loan deal was for me unnecessary as we haven’t given the above pair and Mangan enough game time to judge if they can make a meaningful contribution.

I don’t think it’s healthy to have almost no competition for places in defence and midfield either.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
For all his faults Brabin did have an eye for talent. He must be smiling to see 'his' players making the backbone of our regular eleven.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Most of the players Brabin brought in were tried and tested at this level though. Only Maynard, who was a qualified success and Stephenson, who MM didn’t give a chance to fell outside that category.

Interesting that two of the players we’re arguably missing the most this season were either brought to the club (Ihiekwe) or brought into the first team and had their contract extended (Stockton) by Rob Edwards...

Player
Manager
John King
Edwards' recruitment was equally poor when he was given money to spend by plaios, bringing in Donnelly, Woodards and brezovan. Perhaps Mellon should simply have picked off big name players like brabin - it certainly proved an effective strategy.

Player
Manager
John King
we haven’t given the above pair and Mangan enough game time to judge if they can make a meaningful contribution.
Completely agree with this. I am sure Alabi would improve if he was given an extended run in the first team squad. He should at least be given a few matches coming off the bench.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Edwards' recruitment was equally poor when he was given money to spend by plaios, bringing in Donnelly, Woodards and brezovan.
I'm not trying to re-write history, as Edwards was out of his depth in management, but noteworthy two of the players he recruited/developed,were instrumental in last season's promotion effort. Of the trio you name, Woodards was with us from the start and doing reasonably until he broke a bone in his foot. Brezovan was iffy, but we had no experienced cover for OFW. Donnelly was a disaster, his previous record didn't suggest just how bad his short stint for Rovers would be. That would be equally true for Ronnie's signing of Steve Foster or any number of players Mickey Adams brought in!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Who exactly told you that the budget was spent?
Unsure who your question's aimed at, but hasn't MM said something to that effect in interview, maybe at the OSC meeting?

Player
Manager
John King
Unsure who your question's aimed at, but hasn't MM said something to that effect in interview, maybe at the OSC meeting?
Yes he did, and subsequently. He said a couple of weeks ago players could only be brought in if some of the budget was freed up by moving people out.

Player
Manager
John King
I'm not trying to re-write history, as Edwards was out of his depth in management, but noteworthy two of the players he recruited/developed,were instrumental in last season's promotion effort. Of the trio you name, Woodards was with us from the start and doing reasonably until he broke a bone in his foot. Brezovan was iffy, but we had no experienced cover for OFW. Donnelly was a disaster, his previous record didn't suggest just how bad his short stint for Rovers would be. That would be equally true for Ronnie's signing of Steve Foster or any number of players Mickey Adams brought in!
Edwards was certainly willing to give young players a chance, although he probably had little choice due to the budget constraints when he first took over. Stockton in particular did well during his short stint and I would guess his man-management of the youngsters was good - better than Adams' anyway.

Woodards was the only one of those three signings who had talent, but his injury record was almost as bad as Wallace's. We paid a fee for George Donnelly, which takes some thinking about.

Player
aldo
Mm has said archer is a no go . Rokka is not back training after doing his knee in so thats wye hes not been in .

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Alabi joins dover on loan until January. Whilst I'm not surprised he's left, I'm slightly surprised he's gone to a promotion rival who are one point off the top.

Surely numerous clubs in our league would have liked Alabi. Unless only dover were willing to pay the funds

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Might do Alabi the world of good.
If the unthinkable happens and we loss Cookie, he could find himself back in favour.
A short spell at Maccs did CJ no harm.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Alabi joins dover on loan until January. Whilst I'm not surprised he's left, I'm slightly surprised he's gone to a promotion rival who are one point off the top.
There’s Dovers chances scuppered for another season.

Player
Manager
John King
It actually would not surprise me at all if Kinnear got him scoring regularly at Dover.

I think this is a very strange decision as I doubt McDonagh is a better player than Alabi, and we are actually assisting Dover in their title challenge.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It actually would not surprise me at all if Kinnear got him scoring regularly at Dover.

I think this is a very strange decision as I doubt McDonagh is a better player than Alabi, and we are actually assisting Dover in their title challenge.
Agree with this.