• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

if micky goes

Player
aldo
Was wondering if or when mm goes . If it woulf be a idea to give andy parkinson a go . Palios has said youth is the key to a sustainable club . And he has been working with em . so surly would be better equipped to giving them more game time. Plus they are top and won again in the cup at weekend

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Obviously this is all hypothetical but one of the reasons patios may not have pressed the panic button yet, aside from us only being a couple of wins from the top 7, is who is out there?

We went down the inexperienced route with rob Edwards - didn't work. Then we went with the other extreme in Micky Adams - disastrous. Brabin had decent experience at this level but again didn't work. Finally Micky had a great CV with his success at fleetwood and Shrewsbury, and 95 points last seasons shouldn't be sniffed at - but at the movement it isn't working.

So palios has covered all the available options and if Mickey goes, no one who could obviously do a good job is jumping out at me.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think it would be a shame to drag Andy away from the youth setup where he appears to be doing a good job. Then again, we've had all sorts in charge including a physio so we could offer it to Andy Quayle too!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agreed Sparky about the range of managers. I don't think at these levels there are any obvious candidates and I even think the criteria for managing a club at this level is relatively superfluous. I've said this before but I think a lot of it is down to pure luck. Some managers will really gel and get the team playing while others with more on their CVs won't.

But I still think we are some way off giving MM the boot. He does have time on his side.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I've said this before but I think a lot of it is down to pure luck.
Absolutely, Ian. We were a couple of goals away from being champions last season. One more goal in each of the games against Lincoln, and we could have been in League Two now. Or if we had had just half the injuries in the last few weeks of the season, we'd have given FGR more of a run for their money at Wembley. If, if, if, but we were very unlucky.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with Sparky. Palios will be very reluctant to change managers mid season, as there are very few candidates with a CV to match Mellon's, and none of them are available now, and that is without even considering the financial implications of having to pay him and his staff off. If he did go we would inevitably make a forced, probably panicked appointment which would probably turn out to be a bad one within twelve months.

I can only imagine Mellon being sacked during the season if we were faced with relegation. I think that is unlikely, so I would guess MM will see out his contract and Palios will reassess in the summer.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Parky is relatively inexperienced as a manager and might not want the job at this early stage in that career.

Mostly agree with the views expressed; things would have to go badly wrong for Palios to get rid of Mellon during the season.Though if we've been poor but are in lower mid-table obscurity, can see it being made clear Micky's contract won't be extended to try and draw in some season ticket renewals.

Last edited:

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I'm certain there were times last season when we were seven points off top, in second place, and thought we could still win it.
This season, seven points off top, near the bottom, we generally view the gap as insurmountable. Doesn't really make sense!
It hasn't been good, we've all had a moan about selection, formations etc but realistically I don't see MM going anywhere soon.
And all things in consideration, better the devil we know.

Player
aldo
Yes i totally agree . Was just wondering . Realy hope the boys get goin soon . . Think one of the main reasons the goals have dried up is that the wing back's are not getting forward as much . And rides an vaughan had quite a few assists . Even on the radio on saturday they were saying the same things .

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think one of the main reasons the goals have dried up is that the wing back's are not getting forward as much . And rides an vaughan had quite a few assists

We haven't really got a right wing-back in the style of Vaughan and on the left, Liam can take fewer risks because of the lack of players with pace to cover him. Lack of width is certainly a factor in our goal drought, but not the only one.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Mark Sampson and Harry Redknapp are available? ;)