• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mangan strongly linked with a move to SPL side Ross County where Craig Curran still gets a game.

Whilst I still think mangan could score 20 a season at our level if he was played up front regularly, especially with a big man, at his age he no doubt wants first team action and he's effectively 4th choice striker behind cook, Nors and Alabi plus we have Waring.

I'm surprised that no other clubs in our league fancy him but maybe Micky wouldn't let him go to any potential rivals. Wish him well if he goes - was unfortunate under Brabin and never got a regular run under Micky.

M

Mal

Not sure strongly linked is right term. There isn't anything on the normal Internet news so I can only assume someone on twitter has posted that? Or reposted it? What is your source? Plus it would completely debunk MM's assertion that nobody will be leaving because he needs a squad to adapt to various situations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It's all gone quiet on new signings. MP said we'd be bringing someone else in. Presumably MM is still looking but without success. No need for desperation as we are better off not panicking and waiting for the right player to become available, possibly on loan. Anyone got anything positive and credible?

M

Mal

There is a video of Alabi scoring 4 for Chester against Aldershot. Verymuch a similar performance to his Cammell Lairds one. And displaying an ability to score consistently when one on one. So on a positive note, i think we have a decent defence still and more firepower. I think Norwod should be moved to midfield as his running would be an advantage. He is not a natural goalscorer. Either that or his confidence has collapsed.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
There is a video of Alabi scoring 4 for Chester against Aldershot. Verymuch a similar performance to his Cammell Lairds one. And displaying an ability to score consistently when one on one. So on a positive note, i think we have a decent defence still and more firepower. I think Norwod should be moved to midfield as his running would be an advantage. He is not a natural goalscorer. Either that or his confidence has collapsed.
For me, he is our most exciting signing, although Dunn and Waring may yet surprise me. Did anyone see the Alabi interview on the OS after the Lairds game? He's a really quietly spoken bloke. I had to switch the volume up on my computer to hear him! Hopefully, he's a Jekyll & Hyde type who turns into the Incredible Hulk when he crosses the touch line. (Sorry about all those mixed metaphors!)

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not sure about playing Norwood wide. Yes he can run but if MM wants to play 4-4-2 and provide service to Cook, I'm not sure Nors is the man who can take on, beat a fullback, and put a cross in on Cookies head. With Cole gone and Waring presumably a squad player, I'm sure it'll be Cook first choice striker with either Alabi or Nors along side him, or even Mangan if he stays. The Mangan rumours have lessened since Ross County signed Billy McKay

If everyone was fit then suspect it'd be Tollit on one wing and Dunn on the other.

Even if MM goes with 3-5-2 to play Connor J behind the front 2, I still think Cook and Alabi or Nors is the first choice 2 up front. For all his running, Nors is wasted outwide. Yes it appears Alabi is the cooler in front of goal, but Nors is still a threat in other ways and playing him out wide makes me think of square pegs in round holes again. Only if we have a wide man injury crisis should we consider that (as we did last season when Mangan played wide with Tollit, Dunn, Kirby all injured and Dawson out of favour).

M

Mal

Not sure about playing Norwood wide. Yes he can run but if MM wants to play 4-4-2 and provide service to Cook, I'm not sure Nors is the man who can take on, beat a fullback, and put a cross in on Cookies head. With Cole gone and Waring presumably a squad player, I'm sure it'll be Cook first choice striker with either Alabi or Nors along side him, or even Mangan if he stays. The Mangan rumours have lessened since Ross County signed Billy McKay

If everyone was fit then suspect it'd be Tollit on one wing and Dunn on the other.

Even if MM goes with 3-5-2 to play Connor J behind the front 2, I still think Cook and Alabi or Nors is the first choice 2 up front. For all his running, Nors is wasted outwide. Yes it appears Alabi is the cooler in front of goal, but Nors is still a threat in other ways and playing him out wide makes me think of square pegs in round holes again. Only if we have a wide man injury crisis should we consider that (as we did last season when Mangan played wide with Tollit, Dunn, Kirby all injured and Dawson out of favour).

In two games 16 goals were scored against Camell Lairds and Norwood did not score. From what I saw he tended to hurry his shot relying on instinct rather than thinking. Or maybe he now over thinks things? Maybe the combinations don't suit him from a scoring perspective. I know he is a work horse and chases potential lost causes from which others may score but it seems a waste of a forward. Mind you , I haven't seen his stats on setting up goals for others.

Yes, Alabi comes across as a really nice guy who has confidence on the pitch. And a helluva turn of speed with strength to knock defenders off their stride.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
BBTC, I think that's pretty much it for the signings. In all honesty, we should have enough in the locker to beat a bunch of part timers! However, I've been saying that for the last 2 years! :confused:

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Norwood is a forward not a winger. He has different attributes to alibi, but they are both good strikers at this level.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes we should be pleased we have both Nors and Alabi. Think people forget how immense Nors was the season before last.

Back to the rumour mill. Jay McEvely linked with a return to the North West possibly joining us from Ross County. Getting on a bit and can play left back or centre half plus a previous captain at his other clubs. Not the quickest tho and whilst I accept Rides needs competition, don't we have this in Clarke? Not another fat scouser after higdon and Taylor fletcher?!?!

M

Mal

I said midfield, not wing. However, clearly Norwood has read my comments LOL. Or he has a partner who complements him, in Alabi.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes we should be pleased we have both Nors and Alabi. Think people forget how immense Nors was the season before last.

Back to the rumour mill. Jay McEvely linked with a return to the North West possibly joining us from Ross County. Getting on a bit and can play left back or centre half plus a previous captain at his other clubs. Not the quickest tho and whilst I accept Rides needs competition, don't we have this in Clarke? Not another fat scouser after higdon and Taylor fletcher?!?!
According to Richard Garnett he is signing tomorrow. After the injuries tonight we will probably need some more cover, even if McEvely is not the pacy defender we were looking for.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Still think we need another defender. Sutton went off injured tonight, twitter says a slight knock, but we know how bad they can be when a Rovers player is involved. McEvely would be a reasonable addition, though the lack of pace at the back remains a potential problem. Given Micky, contrary to earlier reported comments does seem to be using wing-backs, do we try and recruit for the right side?

It sounds like Norwood had a good game. Hopefully, he's in similar vein to Mangan and wants to make up for fluffing his lines in the season just gone.

drwhoman

They needed someone even if this guy is towards the end of his career. He has a decent pedigree. I see he played for Scotland three times albeit a few years ago. As Sparky said he needs to be fit. As a former club captain you would hope that he still has commitment and that he will not be just a drain on the club's financial resources.

Player
Manager
John King
Still think we need another defender. Sutton went off injured tonight, twitter says a slight knock, but we know how bad they can be when a Rovers player is involved. McEvely would be a reasonable addition, though the lack of pace at the back remains a potential problem. Given Micky, contrary to earlier reported comments does seem to be using wing-backs, do we try and recruit for the right side?

It sounds like Norwood had a good game. Hopefully, he's in similar vein to Mangan and wants to make up for fluffing his lines in the season just gone.
I think norwood played well in the second half of last season. I also think Mellon will revert to a back four against NL opposition; he is probably using a back five to deal with higher level teams, although McEveley can also play left back apparently.

M

Mal

If the definition of a striker is someone who scores goals frequently then I don't think Norwood played well last season. If it is someone who runs a lot and puts heart and soul into matches then he played very well.

I like him but to get out of this league tranmere will need to score more than they did last season, whilst conceding round about the same.

I hope Norwood does well this season in the scoring capacity.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Other aspects of Norwood's game last season were reasonable, but in the most crucial area of a striker's game, hitting the back of the net, he was disappointing. Cook certainly and Jennings, Mangan and Alabi probably are more clinical than James

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
McEveley might be another Stephen Frail. Cracking player shame about his injuries.

Regarding Norwood, I think we know what he'll give us his season. Plenty of energy, some good goals and some awful misses too.

Player
aldo
One thing about norrs is he dont stop running. If he could start putting his 1on 1s away he would have 25/30 a season. Think with james alabi this season the added ccompetition could force him to score more . He wont be able to go 18 games with out scoring this season

Player
Manager
John King
Mangan was not more clinical than norwood last season and James' overall goal return was reasonable, in addition to the other things he offers.