• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
On forwards, forgot to mention Stephenson, who showed flashes of his ability, but was then shipped out on loan, where he sustained a season-ending injury. Hope that Micky takes another look at him in pre-season.

We are being linked with another forward, James Alabi at Chester. Haven't seen enough of him to judge, don't think he stood out in the games against us though he did conver the penalty in the 2-3 at the Deva.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Alabi was excellent in the 2-2 draw at Prenton Park. He has been linked with league clubs as well I think.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's fairly rare for an opponent to register with me tbh. Having read an article about Alabi in the Chester Chronicle, it looks like he's destined for a FL side anyway.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
There's been more than one dog barking about Alabi so who knows.
Pity that Stephenson's season was curtailed through injury. He's missed valuable game time and unfortunately he's not likely to have sharpened up over the season.
Though raw, he did look like he could be a real handful so there's still hope he can play a part.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think it definitely played a part. Apparently Mellon and Jackson had to sit down with Cole even to persuade him to come back here from Morecambe. Stockton was out of contract and Cook was not, and I am sure that affected their decision making.

Interestingly, Sutton was not offered a contract until Ihiekwe left, hence everyone assumed he was going to Chester. When Michael departed, Ritchie was offered a deal and accepted it.
Interesting insider info, RLC, which explains a lot. But strange that Ritchie was offered two-years rather than just the one. I did think initially that playing Cole was to persuade him to sign, but then he hit some form and was difficult to drop. However hard Micky must have tried to keep him, his treatment under previous managers probably eroded any loyalty he felt to the club.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Micky said in an interview that he had to persuade cole to return as he didn't want to be back at the club. Alabi at our place was a real handful with I think Richards the other striker, caused us n end of trouble

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
So I wasn't far off the mark when I said Cole didn't appear to 'fit' and more recently had 'disconnected'.
He was always going to go, he'd made his mind up.
No problems with that, save that he's gone to Jock Land.
Arise Cookie.......

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If we can sign Alabi then I feel he would be a good replacement for Stockton. While I would have liked us to retain all the players offered terms, I do think every squad needs the injection of new blood to keep it fresh. I'd see him as a marquee signing, as Cook was last summer.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think Alabi is anywhere near as good as Cook (or Stockton), but he would be a decent squad player to come off the bench.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Don't know things were quite so clear cut re Stockton. Morecambe's financial difficulties meant that he'd be unable to extend his stay there, the original deal was 6 months I think. So where else would he go? His relative success with us means more offers were on the table, can't blame Cole for opting to move on.

Player
Manager
John King
So where else would he go?

Somewhere else on loan until his contract ran out presumably. I think it is well known that he did not want to set foot back in Prenton Park under the previous management.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't blame Stockton for moving on, after all he's been pretty much sitting on the bench for as long as we've had him.

He had a good few months starting with his loan spell but he blows got and cold and has never really shown his potential. A lot of the time he's marked out of games and has never used the strength he has to his advantage.

I hope he does well in the SPL but it's no great loss.

Player
Manager
John King
I went to the TROSC event tonight which was attended by Mark and Nicola. It seems we will have the same wage budget next season as in the last one.

Apparently Dunn is all but signed and we are close to bringing in another couple of players, one of whom we have offered money for.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks RLC. Will be interesting to see who we bring in and whether or not they will improve the squad from last season.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks, RLC. I'm pretty pleased with what you reported. I think relatively we should be at least as strong financially as last season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
That's encouraging regarding those deals in the pipeline. Notice Dagenham who are likely to be one of our main rivals are strengthening. Already recruited Morgan Ferrier and Dan Sparkes, while linked with MIchael Cheek.

Was anything said about pending contract offers? Think Vaughan, Drysdale and Pilling still haven't accepted their offers.

Player
Manager
John King
No, individual players were not mentioned, largely because contract offers can't be discussed until they are agreed or rejected. However, Ben Tollitt was in attendance and said he will be back in full training by the end of July.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks, RLC. That would suggest that the idea of last Friday as a cut-off point for contract acceptance was incorrect.

What numbers were there last night?

drwhoman

I see Mackreth has gone to Wrexham and that Lee Molyneaux has been released by Morecambe. Was he on loan with us at one time? A full back who played most games last season. A financial decision perhaps.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I see Mackreth has gone to Wrexham and that Lee Molyneaux has been released by Morecambe. Was he on loan with us at one time? A full back who played most games last season. A financial decision perhaps.
Lee Molyneux was one of Micky Adams recruits but he only played 11 games before being released when we got relegated. As I remember, he was not well rated by the SWA.