• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Norburn is a different kind of player to Harris though, more attack-minded and capable of scoring goals. The average age of the midfield is about 30 and we definitely need some younger bodies in there.

M

Mal

Norburn is a different kind of player to Harris though, more attack-minded and capable of scoring goals. The average age of the midfield is about 30 and we definitely need some younger bodies in there.
He may well have potential but he hasn't scored that many, and I wouldn't include the dodgy goal....

A decent manager may be able to harness his potential

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree, RLC. Who we may (or may not) have in the "engine room" of the team next season is Maynard (aged 28, out of contract, offered terms), Steve Jennings (32, out of contract, no news on OS), Harris (30, recovering from injury), Kirby (23, recovering from injury), Hughes (32) and Wallace (25, recovering from injury). I can see why we need one or two more players, particularly younger ones. The trouble is I'm sure we could attract players from the EFL and EPL, but they would either be nearing the end of their career (i.e. "old") or young and inexperienced. So it is no surprise we should be looking at good young NL midfielders like Norburn.

By the way, Norburn (24) scored about one in four games recently which is OK for a midfielder. That includes a long-distance effort in the recent FA Trophy final.

Player
Manager
John King
Our lack of mobility in midfield was really evident in the final against FGR. It is an area where we definitely need to improve.

Player
Manager
John King
No reason why not if he is good enough. :)

However, I was thinking of players in their early to mid twenties rather than complete novices.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Totally agree with RLC about more legs in midfield. Steve Jennings and Hughes are both over 30 with the former probably past it. Wallace is injury prone and Maynard whilst having some good attributes, is probably at his level in this league. Duggan has potential but we need more.

Norburn is a good age, has experience and has a goal in him as we saw in the FA Trophy semi at PP. He has been offered a new deal at Macc tho.

Wrexham have made a couple of decent signings already and today include former FGR midfielder Sam Wedgebury in their ranks. Wouldn't have minded him. Surely we would have the pick of any non league players.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wrexham have made a few decent signings, Pearson in central defence, Connor's brother James at left-back and now Wedgebury. Looking like they might now have a decent spine, although there was a big clear-out of staff at the end of the season. Rovers obviously start from a stronger position in that we've got most of last seasons side on board, Stockton Maynard and Vaughan the key players yet to decide.

Paddy Wharton promising youth keeper signs on for his first pro deal. No word on Pilling yet though.

Player
Manager
John King
It looks like Wrexham we will be challenging again next season. However, they still don't have any decent strikers, the most difficult players to recruit at any level.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It looks like Wrexham we will be challenging again next season. However, they still don't have any decent strikers, the most difficult players to recruit at any level.

cant see them challenging next season, they have signed some good players but will have a small squad and will struggle for goals

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As the rumour mill suggested Maynard has joined Salford City. Some would question his ambition dropping down a league but financially it may make sense and he may have thought when all our players are fit, he may not be in the starting 11.

I wanted him to stay for his versatility especially if Vaughan goes, but I'm not exactly distraught about it. Some work for Mickey to do as plenty of transfer dealings going on. Chester have signed Maccs captain plus Ross Hannah has returned from barrow.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ian black released by Blackpool who we were linked with last year. With Hughes another year older and Wallace injury prone, we need more centre mid options to complement Harris. Add to that Sutton is likely to leave (rumoured to be joining Chester), we need more defenders with Ihikwe gone too.

It's funny, with 95 points last year the squad didn't need much work but MM has some work to do.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
2 year deal for Norburn. Just what we need. His midfield Partnwr Kingsley James is available on a free too

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm disappointed with Maynard's departure, was a versatile player who could fill in a number of different positions, probably best as a defensive midfielder. Don't think he was one of Micky's favourites, so maybe a combination of more certainty of playing and a decent wage from Salford has swung it their way.

Norburn does not fire me with much enthusiasm, a few great goals don't compensate for a patchy career to date. Not someone at this stage of his development looking capable of being a L2 regular which would be my starting expectation of anyone given a 2 year deal with us. Hopefully, the manager can bring him on like he did Ihky and Ridehalgh.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm a bit surprised Lois has dropped a division. At the age of 28, he has clearly given up any ambition of playing in the Football League. I doubt Salford have offered more money, but maybe a longer contract or just the likelihood of a regular game.

While I'm sorry he's gone, his replacement Ollie Norburn is four years younger and has a better goalscoring record, so on balance I think we are better off.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Always wanted Maynard to do well because he was never short of effort but, save for a couple of purple patches lasting four games or so, he did look like he was struggling to make what was a step up for him. If he'd stayed then I think he would have been lacking in games simply because he genuinely wasn't good enough.
Fairly pleased with Norburn. The type of player we can work with and improve because he's clearly got talent.
What's going on at Silkmen?
Similar to Dover they are leaking players all over the place.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm a bit surprised Lois has dropped a division. At the age of 28, he has clearly given up any ambition of playing in the Football League. I doubt Salford have offered more money, but maybe a longer contract or just the likelihood of a regular game.

While I'm sorry he's gone, his replacement Ollie Norburn is four years younger and has a better goalscoring record, so on balance I think we are better off.
Salford are recruiting strongly, ex-Rover defender Liam Hogan on a long contract for example. It may be the security which attracts players, but I doubt any of their recruits are paid significantly less than at their previous clubs.

With the 5 sub rule, having players who can perform competently in more than one position is an asset. I actually think that on balance we've come out slightly worse off from this in-out.